Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton’s music “mediocre”?

Baxlin

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Must have shrunk in the wash, too

Chinese laundry blues?.......

It was tight when John had it !

ps....(No attempt at Racism I do realise not all Chinese people work in laundries...tell that to George Formby...No Typecasting here thingy?what was that girls name again? .....I’ve Forgotten?......

Eric Clapton.....Eyesight to the blind....Tommy

Nowt Mediocre about that George!

“Goodnight Austin Texas where ever you are!”

Edited by MB1

Clapton Thread: Training Wheels for New Forum Members?

406d3d44a90257a174b9b9413579a38a.jpg

I'm beginning to think that this thread should be co-opted into some sort of induction programme for new BC-ers. It's a perfect example of how the forum works and how to comport oneself.

Imbued throughout with the spirit of give and take and IMO, it starts with a bold contention, garners some useful critical analysis, wanders briefly into controversy (and a promptly extinguished flame war), derails across ever more unrelated issues and finally collapses, chortling like a madman, into a stream of appalling puns.

The thread shows BC at its most typical and is therefore useful instructional material.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Clapton Thread: Training Wheels for New Forum Members?

406d3d44a90257a174b9b9413579a38a.jpg

I'm beginning to think that this thread should be co-opted into some sort of induction programme for new BC-ers. It's a perfect example of how the forum works and how to comport oneself.

Imbued throughout with the spirit of give and take and IMO, it starts with a bold contention, garners some useful critical analysis, wanders briefly into controversy (and a promptly extinguished flame war), derails across ever more unrelated issues and finally collapses, chortling like a madman, into a stream of appalling puns.

The thread shows BC at its most typical and is therefore useful instructional material.

Indeed. If only it contained some incredibly bad advice to a novice bass player that would put his / her development back several years, it would be the perfect Basschat thread. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

All I wanted to do was comment on a relatively unknown artist’s opinion of a very well-known artist’s work.....

(he says in a very small voice, head down................)

😇😇😇

Its Basschat. Bass players have a low attention span and usually drift off thread into .......oh the news is on TV........must be breakfast time...........wonder if i can get the bike out today .......:laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

All I wanted to do was comment on a relatively unknown artist’s opinion of a very well-known artist’s work.....

(he says in a very small voice, head down................)

😇😇😇

Failure to anticipate the likely consequences of your actions is no defence

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Failure to anticipate the likely consequences of your actions is no defence

Well I am getting on a bit, which could be a contributory factor...

(And possibly sends the thread off on yet another tangent)

Edited by Baxlin
  • Haha 1

Something we BCers are possibly failing to see here is, this woman whose name escapes me, moves in different circles to us. We've been considering Clapton's history of recorded work. She may, of course, be talking about his current style of playing in concert performances.

After 50 odd years of playing, yes, maybe he is less innovative and exciting. But then what people book Clapton for is to see the old stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

Something we BCers are possibly failing to see here is, this woman whose name escapes me, moves in different circles to us. We've been considering Clapton's history of recorded work. She may, of course, be talking about his current style of playing in concert performances.

After 50 odd years of playing, yes, maybe he is less innovative and exciting. But then what people book Clapton for is to see the old stuff.

Good point (although rather more than 50!)

It's the equivalent of asking 20-something me to appreciate George Formby and Glenn Miller...

• Like 1

Dunno if anybody's said this yet so apologies if they have (I read the first two pages of comments and didn't hear anything I haven't heard a hundred times before about Clapton and others of his era). Sorry if that offends anybody but there it is.

His early style was a huge influence on my adolescent guitar playing but I don't believe he's done anything remotely groundbreaking or even particularly interesting for a very long time now, so I guess wannabees like Phoebe Whatsername probably have a point when their comments are taken at face value. 'Twas ever thus in the music business IME.

By way of illustration of my take on the man and his history, I recall a thread on this forum a few years ago in connection with the Beatles. One poster expressed the opinion that they sounded like 'just another '60s pop band'...

Like The Beatles, Clapton was of his era and the rest is mostly cashing in. Asking these people to remain edgy and groundbreaking for 50 years - or even 20 years - is a bit rich; popular music isn't supposed to work like that IMHO. I wonder what Phoebe Whosit will be doing 50 years hence.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1