Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton’s music “mediocre”?

Baxlin

21 minutes ago, Black Coffee said:

I don’t know enough about Clapton to have an opinion on this mediocre rating for him.

I have heard and read much however about his bland personality and also his reputed influence on millions of musicians. 

Does him being labelled by this person who has spoken out as a bland horrible/insensitive/racist or whatever sort of person make him a poor musician.  No. 

What has this individual to gain by this opinion?

Having read a little of the interview in question, it looks like a throwaway line in a pop song being blown out of all proportion, in accordance with the times we live in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

That commercial was filmed at the Tan Hill Inn, the highest (as in, most altitudious) boozer in England. They had that very feather framed on the wall, until somebody stole said feather. They are incredibly cross about it -- one might say, spitting feathers -- and are, I believe, offering a reward for its return.

Ted Moult 1984.jpg

Edward Walker Moult, known for his jolly demeanour,
feathery adverts, and genuinely tragic demise

I felt obliged to check all my duvets and pillows (in case I was unwittingly handling stolen property) and can confirm I am not in possession of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh how the mighty have fallen.  All of those constantly referring to the "Clapton is God" grafitti in his Mayall days, and then......

I used to be a huge fan as a teenager learning music in the 80s/90s but tastes move on and don't listen to him so much, but it doesn't mean I am any less respectful of his and his music's influence on me as a youngster.

After watching the recent documentary I only recently found out he did the guitar soloing on "Be Good To Me As I Am to You" by Aretha Franklin, presumably after one or two takes, so was opened up to his playing again. 

I think the fact that they included his racist rants and had him talk openly about it perhaps shows that people can learn and change.  I know that if heard my own son say language like that, I would try and help him learn from it and improve as a person, not just label him for the rest of his life, but maybe that is just me.

Anyway, I am no superfan of his, I just think he is being dismissed way too quickly for his contribution to music, whether you like it or not.  

I'm sure none of this will bother him in his mansion with gold records all over the wall....  

Edited by Huge Hands

8 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I felt obliged to check all my duvets and pillows (in case I was unwittingly handling stolen property) and can confirm I am not in possession of it.

I  also confirm as much.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Having read a little of the interview in question, it looks like a throwaway line in a pop song being blown out of all proportion, in accordance with the times we live in.

my thoughts exactly...

It's a difficult time for journalists of all kinds, I suppose.

40 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

I don’t want to comment further.

I get you there @Baxlin

For something that started off as a simple question about whether his music is mediocre the thread seemed to take a turn for the worse.

Shame as it could have been an interesting thread and could have been used for other "mature" musicians still going.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I wouldn't really want to comment on anything outside of music regarding EC,  but as a musician he is far from bland. Or should I say , more specifically, as a guitarist he is definitely not bland. He has got real fire and  aggression in his  playing , as well as  all the other subtleties of a great musician . He may have suffered from his  fairly conventional  musical direction over the past 30 or maybe even 40 years, but he is still  a lethal guitar player, no doubt about that. 

I think EC and Phil Collins have suffered the same fate in terms of their public perception as musicians in so much as they as both extraordinary players with a  unique personality on their respective instruments, but they re dismissed out of hand by some musos because of their  mainstream popularity. Yes, their music can tend towards the middle of the road, but as players they have always been as hip as anybody you could care to mention. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 4

I accidently saw EC live  when my girlfriend at the time bought me tickets to Sheryl Crow at Shepherds Bush Empire, and Crow brought him on for a track or two as a surprise.  Did nothing for me.  He's only produced one decent album in his carreer and that was the Ocean Boulevard jobbie.  Didnt like Cream one bit.

Having said that,  he has had quite a career, so my opinion is null and void.   Its just personal taste after all.

As for that pimple Bridgers,  lets  see how long her  attention seeking career lasts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Misdee said:

Well, I wouldn't really want to comment on anything outside of music regarding EC,  but as a musician he is far from bland. Or should I say , more specifically, as a guitarist he is definitely not bland. He has got real fire and  aggression in his  playing , as well as  all the other subtleties of a great musician . He may have suffered from his more  fairly conventional  musical direction over the past 30 or maybe even 40 years, but he is still  a lethal guitar player, no doubt about that. 

I think EC and Phil Collins have suffered the same fate in terms of their public perception as musicians in so much as they as both extraordinary players with a  unique personality on their respective instruments, but they re dismissed out of hand by some musos because of their  mainstream popularity. Yes, their music can tend towards the middle of the road, but as players they have always been as hip as anybody you could care to mention. 

I like this. 👍

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:56, ClassicVibes said:

So 50 years ago it was okay to dislike non white people? Regardless of whether you are 1 years old or 100 years old, it will always be wrong.

You sound like someone who was caught out and then very quickly back peddled. 

Well if such crimes remain unforgivable in perpetuity perhaps we need instant death penalties.  I think you'll need plenty of rope.

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I saw the title of this thread and for some reason read "Eric Cantona's Music Mediocre". Having come here I'm now very disappointed. 

You wouldn’t get me starting (or even posting in) a thread even remotely connected with soccer......🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

You wouldn’t get me starting (or even posting in) a thread even remotely connected with soccer......🤫

Frankly, I would pay good money to see Cantona perform the blues, the lyrics would be epoch defining

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Discuss

image.thumb.png.872a800e9aabec1a8c316d2dfb6c8e9f.png

Well, Eric's playing an A minor chord on an acoustic guitar so it's either a sad or a meaningful song and he's playing it in front of an old caravan so it's probably a sad song in A minor about how he can't afford a new caravan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2