Why become a member? ×

G&L L-5500

Machines

Got this from GuitarGuitar a few days ago. I saw it the day before but was busy packing for a camping trip so decided to leave it, but then ordered it the next day at 5AM whilst staring at a tent roof. I figured it was worth a go and could return it if it wasn't for me.

USA Built, June 1995 in Blue Swirl (aka bowling ball finish). In reasonable nick with a few lacquer dings you can only see close up. The finish is quite subtle but really shows up with decent lighting.

Stock EMG 40DC pickups and BTC preamp, these were the stop gap between the L-5000 and L-2500 as the 5 string MFD pickups were not yet available. Produced for about 2 years and ~350 were made, mostly in stained ash finishes. It was up for quite a decent price for the spec, only a bit more than you'd pay for a L-2500 Tribute 2nd hand. I can't think of any other USA built instruments that go so cheap, and it is not the quality that is the reason for this.

On arrival it didn't work which was a bit annoying, but only a loose volume pot wire, 20 seconds with the soldering iron sorted that. 

Build and playability is excellent, the tone is very bright and in your face as you'd expect from the pickups, not typical G&L sound at all which may have put people off. For a 34" scale the B string is surprisingly good, no flapping fart noises here.

body1.thumb.jpg.4d9a893c407817b706995c095b7b7cd5.jpg

headstock.thumb.jpg.263da62f97fdaabc011ad1fadbf56b00.jpg

Decent sound demo:

• Like 9

VERY cool! I had a Legacy Special (g**t*r) in that finish. It had air bubbles under the finish in the cutaways (looked like a foil wrap with a clear coat over it) but otherwise looked great. Great guitar that I bought for only €250 (because someone had once mounted a Roland GK-2 and removed it again, leaving two small holes in the pickguard and body) and stupidly sold again.

• Like 1

Your blue swirl look great. Mine in see thru red looks a bit more conservative though no less lovely. As said before, I think my L5500 sounds more like my Spector Euros I used to own than any other G&L I’ve owned and/or played. Don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing and I don’t really understand some of the negative comments about the pickups/EQ on this model. The MFD pickups aren’t always the best fit for any genre and are not to everyone’s tastes either though I suppose they are the signature G&L sound. Each to their own I guess. Just realised I have three G&Ls and not one has MFD pickups.

Enjoy your L-5500🙂

4759A277-BB38-42E6-B0B4-ED8FDA264E2D.jpeg

• Like 4

What a great deal the OP got, mine came from BC'er Graham 1945 (thanks again Graham!) for a similar price. It's my favourite bass by far that I've owned and nothing has turned my head since I got it back in March 2016; it always gets compliments ,the sound not my playing, and sounds great whenever I hear live recordings of gigs and rehearsals.

Mine is a Jan 1996 maple neck. I changed the bridge pickup to a 40J and it lost a bit of the pipe organ quality in the mid setting on the pan pot, it sounds more Jazz bass like now but with it's own character. It was translucent green but Graham had it sprayed black, it's gradually becoming trans green again!

1 hour ago, Machines said:

Yeah it must have been a part-ex, which makes me a little sad the original owner most likely got about £250 trade in from GuitarGuitar 😬.

I can't believe there's now two L5500s within 5 miles of each other, I'm down the road in Lichfield! Particularly if there was so few of them made, I've heard conflicting estimates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The fasting showman said:

I can't believe there's now two L5500s within 5 miles of each other, I'm down the road in Lichfield! Particularly if there was so few of them made, I've heard conflicting estimates.

I'm a few miles east of Tamworth but let's not be pedantic 😆.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 18/08/2020 at 12:19, The fasting showman said:

Thread revival time. I sold my blue swirl, don't particularly remember why but never mind.  A couple of days ago @The fasting showman put his L-5500 up for sale, pulled the trigger and picked it up yesterday. Only a 20 min drive too !

Came with original branded hardcase, a spare pickup (there was a 40J in the bridge position) and a few other bits. Spent the afternoon giving it a full service/clean and sounds bang on.

image.thumb.png.8846d7494e15269663b973bba953f61b.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1