Why become a member? ×

New John Myung Signature Bongo 6

Musicman20

36 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

I understand that a lot of people like to set and forget / lean towards a less cluttered or 'purer' signal path and I think it's cool that Ernie Ball is daring to do something different, when larger manufacturers are gazing ever deeper into the navel.

I would also prefer to access the preamp if it's there, maybe have all the detents on the knobs set to John's preferred setting? But this is all just chewing the fat as the likelihood of me buying this bass is extremely small indeed!

I agree - I think it's cool - as people have said these are true signature basses (a bit like the old Fender Marcus Miller). There are a lot of Myung fans so will no doubt fill a niche. 

I wonder if they'll do others in die course - there was talk of a Commerford Stingray at one point. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I wonder if they'll do others in die course - there was talk of a Commerford Stingray at one point. 

Yeah, a Timmy C sig Stingray would be cool, especially as a HH in a natural finish and black hardware. Due to the swamp ash crisis; however, I have given up hope 😒

1856456010_TimmyC.jpg.866b0ef5ab7a9317f7e76a549a2fc7a7.jpg

Hmmm. I love the Bongo and I am always miffed that they seem to put out special editions and now a signature model that are nowhere near what I want. Despite John Myung's awesome chops and profile with Dream Theatre, I cannot see EBMM selling many of these.  A six string with very  narrow spacing  will have a limited appeal, regardless of  its idiosyncratic  novelties  ie split fingerboard, pre-set eq ect.  

EBMM would do more business if they found a high-profile  bass player with  more conventional requirements and made him a signature model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

EBMM would do more business if they found a high-profile  bass player with  more conventional requirements and made him a signature model.

haha - exactly the opposite of what people have been saying here. So not a signature at all, just a artist tie in, like the fender signature model 'what colour would you like your signature P bass to be, you can have black white or sunburst'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Misdee said:

Hmmm. I love the Bongo....

So...buy a normal Bongo

This isn't made to sell loads - it's to show off what EBMM can do when asked and to show what John asked of them.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

haha - exactly the opposite of what people have been saying here. So not a signature at all, just a artist tie in, like the fender signature model 'what colour would you like your signature P bass to be, you can have black white or sunburst'

Fender have done better in the past;

The Stu Hamm Urge and Roscoe Beck Signature were both different and excellent basses. 

I take your point, however. Particularly in the case of Geddy Lee and Steve Harris signature models. 

3 hours ago, Misdee said:

TONY LEVIN!!

Don't fob him off with some OLP. Give him a proper signature model.

Like that 3 string one-off Stingray he had. No weak G string on that!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

So...buy a normal Bongo

This isn't made to sell loads - it's to show off what EBMM can do when asked and to show what John asked of them.

I've already got a normal Bongo. I want to buy another Bongo that's a bit different to the one I already have. 

Nowadays they only offer Bongos in Stealth Black and two sparkly colours, none of which I would  contemplate. 

On 21/08/2020 at 14:30, Misdee said:

Hmmm. I love the Bongo and I am always miffed that they seem to put out special editions and now a signature model that are nowhere near what I want.

It’s almost as if the signature model is based on what the artist wants, rather than what you want

On 21/08/2020 at 14:30, Misdee said:

It’s such a shame they don’t make a conventional Bongo to cater to those who want a conventional Bongo

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, therealting said:

It’s almost as if the signature model is based on what the artist wants, rather than what you want

It’s such a shame they don’t make a conventional Bongo to cater to those who want a conventional Bongo

I've already told you ,  I have already got a conventional Bongo.  I don't like any of the three finishes currently available, so I wouldn't buy another stock model as things stand .  I would like a Bongo with some custom options, like a maple fingerboard and maybe a different body wood.  Do you have a problem with that? It sounds like you do. 

I am a little bit disappointed because instead EBMM are adding this rather esoteric bass to their range. I couldn't care less what the artist wants . Why should I?

Edited by Misdee

On 21/08/2020 at 17:33, Lfalex v1.1 said:

TONY LEVIN!!

Don't fob him off with some OLP. Give him a proper signature model.

Like that 3 string one-off Stingray he had. No weak G string on that!

That's a very good point. I'd never thought of that, but I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on!😄

45 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I've already told you ,  I have already got a conventional Bongo.  I don't like any of the three finishes currently available, so I wouldn't buy another stock model as things stand .  I would like a Bongo with some custom options, like a maple fingerboard and maybe a different body wood.  Do you have a problem with that? It sounds like you do. 

I am a little bit disappointed because instead EBMM are adding this rather esoteric bass to their range. I couldn't care less what the artist wants . Why should I?

Well they (EBMM) have issued quite a number of special edition Bongos with different body woods (I can think, off hand of alder, mahogany and possibly ash variants), different finger boards and neck woods - you could look for one of these used one, or just wait for a limited edition that suits you. 

Apparently the economics of making instruments with a series of custom elements, as a factory scaled operation is just not there (as possibly born out by the fact other than very standard variants, if you spec a Custom Shop Fender instrument it will most likely be 'master built' and command an appropriately high price - Fender being a huge enough organisation they can do this). 

Glad you have a conventional Bongo - they are great fun - mine is slightly non standard as it has a piezo (no longer offered) 👍

Edited by drTStingray

36 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Well they (EBMM) have issued quite a number of special edition Bongos with different body woods (I can think, off hand of alder, mahogany and possibly ash variants), different finger boards and neck woods - you could look for one of these used one, or just wait for a limited edition that suits you. 

Apparently the economics of making instruments with a series of custom elements, as a factory scaled operation is just not there (as possibly born out by the fact other than very standard variants, if you spec a Custom Shop Fender instrument it will most likely be 'master built' and command an appropriately high price - Fender being a huge enough organisation they can do this). 

Glad you have a conventional Bongo - they are great fun - mine is slightly non standard as it has a piezo (no longer offered) 👍

I have been watching the special editions with a keen eye, but none of them have been quite right. The dark cherry/ash/maple 5 string Bongo  they offered last year would have been o.k if it was a four string( I like a minimum of 18mm spacing on a 5 string). I am sure if I am ptient something suitable will come up eventually🙂.

The Bongo is indeed  wicked . For a modern-sounding hifi kind of a bass, I prefer it to just about anything on the market. Such a powerful and punchy sound that always cuts through.  Never fails to make me happy when I play it. 

17 hours ago, Misdee said:

I’m disappointed when Aston Martin brings out another car that costs several hundred grand, but not everything is for me.

You don’t have to care what the artist wants, but that’s kind of EBMM’s job if they’re producing a signature model. It’s SUPPOSED to represent what the artist wants.

Both John Myung and John Petrucci moved from their previous endorsement deals because they weren’t getting what they wanted out of their signature instruments (Yamaha and Ibanez respectively). They both have fairly esoteric tastes that thuse more conservative companies weren’t willing to indulge. EBMM invited them to spec their instruments exactly the way they wanted.

Petrucci drew a lot of ire and criticism from his fans at the time for moving from Ibanez, but he states that the carte blanche he was offered at EBMM was too much to resist. His EBMM JP models represented a relatively novel departure from the superstrats at the time, with the scooped forearm bevel, the new non-locking vibrato bridge design (with piezo option) and control / switching layout.

He later went to them with the pretty radical Majesty design concept, which is now one of their most popular guitars including among players outside the prog / metal genre.

Myung has played Bongos for a very long time now, playing one-off models from their custom shop, and has waited this long to figure out exactly what he wants and to agree to put his name to something. His fans and those playing in a similar way have waited a long time to try out his narrow spaced six string option, and now they have their chance.

EBMM is a commercial company, and a signature instrument obviously has the triple roles of satisfying a known player, putting the company’s instruments in that player’s hands and on stages, and putting that instrument in the hands of fans and players in order to make the company money.

With all due respect, why should their signature model for John Myung pay any deference to your wishes?

Also, serious question, if you want a finish they don’t offer, why not just get one refinished? A secondhand one will be substantially cheaper than a new one, and you could put the savings towards a custom paint job which will make it like new and to your liking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, therealting said:

I’m disappointed when Aston Martin brings out another car that costs several hundred grand, but not everything is for me.

You don’t have to care what the artist wants, but that’s kind of EBMM’s job if they’re producing a signature model. It’s SUPPOSED to represent what the artist wants.

Both John Myung and John Petrucci moved from their previous endorsement deals because they weren’t getting what they wanted out of their signature instruments (Yamaha and Ibanez respectively). They both have fairly esoteric tastes that thuse more conservative companies weren’t willing to indulge. EBMM invited them to spec their instruments exactly the way they wanted.

Petrucci drew a lot of ire and criticism from his fans at the time for moving from Ibanez, but he states that the carte blanche he was offered at EBMM was too much to resist. His EBMM JP models represented a relatively novel departure from the superstrats at the time, with the scooped forearm bevel, the new non-locking vibrato bridge design (with piezo option) and control / switching layout.

He later went to them with the pretty radical Majesty design concept, which is now one of their most popular guitars including among players outside the prog / metal genre.

Myung has played Bongos for a very long time now, playing one-off models from their custom shop, and has waited this long to figure out exactly what he wants and to agree to put his name to something. His fans and those playing in a similar way have waited a long time to try out his narrow spaced six string option, and now they have their chance.

EBMM is a commercial company, and a signature instrument obviously has the triple roles of satisfying a known player, putting the company’s instruments in that player’s hands and on stages, and putting that instrument in the hands of fans and players in order to make the company money.

With all due respect, why should their signature model for John Myung pay any deference to your wishes?

Also, serious question, if you want a finish they don’t offer, why not just get one refinished? A secondhand one will be substantially cheaper than a new one, and you could put the savings towards a custom paint job which will make it like new and to your liking.

I take your point entirely , but the correct analogy would be if you had the money for any Aston Martin  that took your fancy, you wanted something a bit special and  then they brought out a new model that was everything you didn't want . Of course Aston Martin can make whatever they want, as can EBMM. I am equally free to lament their choices.

All I am saying is that from my own selfish point of view I wish EBMM  had directed their energies elsewhere. John Myung is obviously a virtuoso player( although to say that Dream Theatre  are  not my cup of tea is something of an understatement...), but I doubt his personal requirements will suit many others who do not share his gift. Of course he need  not  pay any heed to my wishes ( who knows, he might not even of heard of me😄), but EBMM might do better as a company if they prioritised their customers . And as any successful retailer will tell you, the customer is king.  I seriously doubt this bass will sell in  significant quantities. Yes, it's always good for guitar companies to have top endorsees on their books, that is undeniable, but the trick is to translate that into sales. 

Regarding a used Bongo, I am looking for a custom version that might sound a little bit different to what I already have, ie different body wood,  maple fingerboard, stainless steel frets ect, so a refinished stock model wouldn't really do . They did a tobacco sunburst and a blue burst BFR that fit the bill, but I  didn't like  the colours. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

@Misdee I guess waiting for one of those secondhand BFRs to come along and then having it refinished might be the ticket.

I kind of feel your pain in that Sadowsky won’t make six strings. Lots of people would buy one, but Roger has just said it’s not something he’s interested in. Such is life with artistic / creative people I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 17/08/2020 at 11:14, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Thanks for posting that.

I like the Bongo, and for the most part, I like this. The weird fretboard would have to be demonstrably better before I'd believe it was necessary.

I'm even less convinced by the controls.

Totally agree, was really interested in this bass mostly for that super small 14mm string spacing. But I don't like the looks of the split fretboard woods. Think it looks ugly. Is there any reason for it besides esthetics?

Can't understand at all why they left out all EQs. Maybe that's what Myung prefers. But I think 99% of the potential customers would prefer to have an on board EQ. At least a tone knob. But better yet the same controls as the standard Bongo. I think they would sell more if it had EQ. Now they limit their to customers to John Myung fans.

So I would very much prefer a regular Bongo but then with the string spacing and neck dimensions of the Myung Signature. I don't like the wide neck and string spacing of the regular Bongo 6 and thought the Myung was the bass for me, but I am fairly disappointed.

Edited by barend

5 hours ago, therealting said:

@Misdee I guess waiting for one of those secondhand BFRs to come along and then having it refinished might be the ticket.

I kind of feel your pain in that Sadowsky won’t make six strings. Lots of people would buy one, but Roger has just said it’s not something he’s interested in. Such is life with artistic / creative people I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now Warwick are involved,  that could change...

To be fair, this JM Sig Bongo is (to me) a very attractive bass in a  lot of ways . It looks great in black with the Stealth pickups  , I don't mind the split fingerboard woods  and I think the preset EQ will probably sound great as it is. None of those things would put me off at all on a differently configured Bongo .  With the JM Bongo it's just the fact that I couldn't play it🙁.My existing 5 string is 18mm spacing  at the bridge  and I find that difficult  to adjust to. 

I have two Bongo 5s - the 17.5mm string spacing is tight enough to begin with, I can't imagine what it'd be like to have to stick another string in that amount of space. Maybe he's got really little fingers or something. A Bongo with 19mm string spacing would pretty much be my dream instrument. :D

Also, the whole EQ thing - one of the defining features of the Bongo is its massively versatile 4-band EQ. Without that, it's lost a big chunk of its character. 

I'll reserve final judgement until I've tried one, but colour me unimpressed so far.