Why become a member? ×

New John Myung Signature Bongo 6

Musicman20

Thanks for posting that.

I like the Bongo, and for the most part, I like this. The weird fretboard would have to be demonstrably better before I'd believe it was necessary.

I'm even less convinced by the controls. I had a quick scan of the page, and all it says is that it's a 5 way selector, and they're "programmed"

Does that imply Coil switching (bridge, outer, inner, both, neck?) AND eq presets to match?

Could be good. Could be not-so-good, especially if they're baked-in and can't be changed. 

Think I'd prefer a regular Bongo 6. I guess it'd  be difficult to A/B test them, as they're hardly common!

Edit- found/read the control pdf. That's a weird thing to do. I'd prefer more "control" from more controls!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I'm a big Myung fan and like Bongos, but this does nothing for me. Agreed with @Lfalex v1.1 that the fingerboard division doesn't seem to have any real utility.

No 4 band EQ ? That's got to be the Bongo's best feature taken away too. Pickup switching seems usable though.

I expect these will be about £3k, so it's a no from me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed on the laquer line, but if it is passive what are the two batteries compartments on the back for, storage?

I had to zoom in and turn my screen brightness up, I stand corrected. Not sure of point of 18v preamp you can't change the settings on.

The lacquer line is present on most USA Ernie Ball instruments, but stands out more on the roasted maple necks. I don't know why it looks glossy in this picture, when the back of the headstock appears to look matte. 

I never liked the styling of the Bongo, and this one is no exception. I kinda like the look of the fingerboard, I don't see the point but I do like the visual effect. 

16 minutes ago, Machines said:

I had to zoom in and turn my screen brightness up, I stand corrected. Not sure of point of 18v preamp you can't change the settings on.

As I bang on endlessly about. the point of a preamp is to buffer the signal so that it doesn't inject noise and filter out your treble  in the long RC circuit that is your cable.

The fact you can also change the bass and treble if you have an active circuit is a bonus, but it is more a side effect than anything else.

Although I also believe that you don't need an 18v preamp in anything, seeing as you are almost certainly clipping your amplifier when you go much over 2v output from your bass, but that is a different panier de crabes. 

• Like 1

The neck is very interesting - I don't know whether anyone else has picked up on this but it's a 5 string neck dimension with 6 strings applied (which is what Myung's Bongo has). Presumably the rosewood under the G and C strings is there for a sonic reason (even though many bass forum participants know wood type and density makes no difference to the sound of electric instruments......).

Very interesting instrument and will no doubt please the many John Myung fans. 

(PS the laquer line has been a feature of Musicman basses since the early 90s, when they started using the wax and oil finish on the necks - with use, the colour difference reduces significantly as the back of the neck darkens). 

I kind of like it. It's unusual.

I do like the control system. I have 3 active basses and I tend to only tweak them to fix room problems rather than being the core of the sound.

I like 44.5mm nut width on 5 strings.

But I reckon the bridge looks really tight. The total string width at the last fret is 71.4mm - same as the regular 5 string bongo that has 17.5mm spacing at the bridge. So it has to be quite a bit tighter than that. Maybe as tight as 15mm to 16mm (extrapolating from 71.4mm and the 17.5mm bridge spacing on the regular 5 string)

I've had 16.5mm at the bridge before and that was too tight for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I do like the control system. I have 3 active basses and I tend to only tweak them to fix room problems rather than being the core of the sound.

I must admit the idea of a switch blend doesn't sound too bad. Its pretty rare you use ever part of the travel on a continuously variable one, and if you do you can never find the setting again.

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Maybe as tight as 15mm to 16mm (extrapolating from 71.4mm and the 17.5mm bridge spacing on the regular 5 string)

Sounds perfect

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

If you'd played bass in the 70's you wouldn't have to ask :)

I just about managed that. Although in the 70s all I had was a passive rickenbacker copy and an active Kay strat (with 3 humbuckers and 9 switches).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit the idea of a switch blend doesn't sound too bad. Its pretty rare you use ever part of the travel on a continuously variable one, and if you do you can never find the setting again.

Sounds perfect

I just about managed that. Although in the 70s all I had was a passive rickenbacker copy and an active Kay strat (with 3 humbuckers and 9 switches).

You and your tiny hands again! :D 

• Like 1