Why become a member? ×

Boss EQ-200?

dave_bass5

Anyone using, or had experience with this EQ?

I'm looking for a stereo EQ for keyboards, and came across this. A bit more than i want to spend but it seems ideal. 

I’d use it on bass as well, but i have to have stereo for my synth. Like the idea of 128 memories. Ive always wished my Q/strip had memories. This may now replace that. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Answering my own quation, as ive just got one. 

Love it. I love my Q/strip but struggled with using it, as its only got one tone at any IME time. Having 128 is overkill, but I’m going to find a use for at least 3-4. 

Its a sturdy little box. Reminds me of my Helix Stomp. Seems to be made of  the same material, and its black with silver flecks in it. Very classy.

Size is great. Not too small but small enough to sit on my MODX where its going to live most of the time. This use is why i need stereo, otherwise i wouldn't be getting a something like this. Doesnt seem much in the way of cheap stereo EQ’s although the Behringer looked good and is much, much cheaper. Having the extra Freq’s swung it for me, along with battery powered. 

The LCD is great. Its they as an indication more than an accurate display of amounts etc. In manual mode the slider represent the cut and boost, but in patch mode they don’t move so the screen shows what’s happening. 

There are 3 sets of freq centres. The numbers printed on the front panel are the default ones, so dont change, but there are two other sets of 10 freqs with a slightly different centres. Very useful, although obviously each set is fixed. 

Not had a chance to use it through an amp yet, but through headphones i cant see any negatives like noise etc. 

The plan is to use it to flatten the response of the rehearsal studios. PA, and our own PA. Handy to be able to preset these.

ill also use it on bass, which will be very useful, although not sure i need this when I’m using a Stomp as well. 

Edited by dave_bass5

55 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've been wondering about these too. I used to have the older EQ-20 which I think was their first EQ with presets.

It looks a far better choice for bass than the Source Audio ones - some fiddly ALT switches on those.

Maybe after payday!

Yes, i looked at the SA one but its much more expensive, and for me at least, too fiddly. 

Not sure ill use it much on bass, the Stomp has very good EQ options already, but for keys it’s going to be integral to getting a good sound, especially as our desk is fairly limited. 

I’m gong to have to sell my Q/strip to fund it, but its a much more useful product for me. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

The SA one is easy to use too and really powerful but the boss does have the advantage of dedicated individual sliders.

.....and a lot cheaper.

Ultimately though, it was the real sliders that sold me on this. I think those sliders are the reason its quite heavy as well. At least it wont get pulled off the keyboard to easily by the 4 cables sticking out of it.

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, cant ad any more than ive said already. For the money, and for bass, i think its a better option over the SA, but you can get a Zoom multi fix for a lot less and have way more EQ on tap, 

Thanks dude ! i was looking at the source audio too but dont think i need anything that complex. In my experience Boss are also usually built like tanks whxih is good for me as often break stuff

41 minutes ago, Sweeneythebass said:

Thanks dude ! i was looking at the source audio too but dont think i need anything that complex. In my experience Boss are also usually built like tanks whxih is good for me as often break stuff

Yeah, it’s built really well. Very robust looking. Surprisingly large and heavy as well. Makes you feel like you got your money’s worth. 

When i first got mine i had a jam with my mate.  Me on bass, him on guitar. We both went through the separate channels on it and fed two amps, one each.  Quite cool having two independent channels. 

I’d still say the Q/Strip is better, but its not programable and costs about the same as the SA pedal. (Maybe more).