Why become a member? ×

Any 'drummer knockers' out there..?

Dad3353

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

To my great good fortune, I have only ever played with really good drummers. I'm a very lucky bassist. :) 

I only how good the drummers I played with were good when I finally played with a bad drummer. That makes the whole thing pointless.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

To my great good fortune, I have only ever played with really good drummers. I'm a very lucky bassist. :) 

I can say I've only played in bands with really good drummers (one of whom is now a senior examiner for Rock School grades and another who is now drum tech for Rufus Taylor) but I have had the misfortune of playing with some far from brilliant drummers at open jam sessions over the years. I'm actually really glad to have played with those bad ones though to properly appreciate what it is that a great drummer brings to a band.

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Painy said:

I can say I've only played in bands with really good drummers 

Sorry yes, that was what I meant to say. All my bandmate tubthumpers have been great, but I've auditioned or jammed alongside a few real shockers. As you say, it makes you really appreciate the good ones. I'm sure they feel the same about bassists.

• Like 1

I've played with some good drummers and some not so good drummers.

Some of the not so good drummers I've been in bands with for quite a while, primarily because they were nice people who enjoyed playing the music.

Most of the time I'm glad to have people to play the kind of music I enjoy playing with, I don't get to pick and choose.

Edited by ahpook

22 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

This chap isn't a drummer, he's a musician who drums 😁

This 👆

A great drummer makes the band. The best interpretive drummer I've played with is on this track...

Mel - who wrote, produced, played guitar and did all the vocals on this track is in the band I'm in - we're very lucky to have her. Davide Gallo is the drummer she used and did a great job of interpretation I thought. 

Edited by ricksterphil

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I direct that question to @Dad3353...

I will admin to not having watched it through to the end, and that what I did watch didn't inspire much more than recognition that the bloke plays drums just fine, albeit in slightly more muscular fashion than myself. I'd draw (cruel...) comparison to the performances of Christian Vander (Magma...), who has this style down to a 'T'. Another league altogether, in my view. So: good drummer, certainly; I won't be buying tickets to watch him. Magma..? Yes, indeed, and I'd travel..!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I will admin to not having watched it through to the end, and that what I did watch didn't inspire much more than recognition that the bloke plays drums just fine, albeit in slightly more muscular fashion than myself. I'd draw (cruel...) comparison to the performances of Christian Vander (Magma...), who has this style down to a 'T'. Another league altogether, in my view. So: good drummer, certainly; I won't be buying tickets to watch him. Magma..? Yes, indeed, and I'd travel..!

I did watch to the end hoping there would a reward. There wasn’t. Adequate at best.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I thought you posted it?!

I did - I’m not the expert on drumming though.

i enjoyed the precision and cleanness of his playing, and how he was doing the simple things exceedingly well.  

• Like 2

Have I missed something here?

I was pretty impressed by his capacity to listen and hear parts, and to log the form and breaks of a reasonably complex piece, in one listen then lay down his own interpretation pretty much on point. 
What are the reasons for people’s indifference to this?

Genuinely interested. I’m getting the feeling I’m just easily impressed 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

Have I missed something here?

I was pretty impressed by his capacity to listen and hear parts, and to log the form and breaks of a reasonably complex piece, in one listen then lay down his own interpretation pretty much on point. 
What are the reasons for people’s indifference to this?

Genuinely interested. I’m getting the feeling I’m just easily impressed 😂 

I think there is some confusion. My comments were in relation to the ‘Beat It’ video.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think there is some confusion. My comments were in relation to the ‘Beat It’ video.

Indeed, and answered as such. There's some 'cool' in other reactions, though. Maybe I've (we've..?) been dabbling only in the shallow end of the pool..? I though the fellow worked wonders; others seem to think it simply 'Bof..!'. 9_9

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I did - I’m not the expert on drumming though.

i enjoyed the precision and cleanness of his playing, and how he was doing the simple things exceedingly well.  

Yes, sometimes KISS is a very useful tool in a band context. As long as you get something out of it, that’s all that counts.

As we’re in a sharing mode, this is one of my favourite drum clips. I’ve seen Jean-Paul many times and really enjoy watching what he does. Proof, of it were needed, that you don’t need a massive kit to be effective.

Great band, great song, great drummer - but all in my humble opinion and I won’t be offended if it doesn’t do anything for you 😎