Why become a member? ×

Any 'drummer knockers' out there..?

Dad3353

29 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

What camp are you in..?

This chap isn't a drummer, he's a musician who drums 😁

Sadly, most drummers I seem to have the (dis)pleasure of playing with don't appear to understand that as well as keeping time, a good drummer should supply a groove that adds to and supplements the music, rather than just bashing a cymbal as hard as they can on every beat with a fill on every single drum at least every 4 bars...

So if anyone knows a rockin' jazzydrummer looking for a progressive-punk-funk band please give them my details!

At present I'm quite enjoying Mr EZ who resides in my phone...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

This chap isn't a drummer, he's a musician who drums ...

R91KekF.gif

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

...a rockin' jazzydrummer looking for a progressive-punk-funk band ...

It's a shame we're so distant..! I have an added advantage, though, in being deaf enough to support wah-fuzz-synth bass playing..! xD 

• Haha 2

I appreciate all kinds of musicians - no matter what instrument they play.

I find that video fascinating and mr. Lewis is an excellent MUSICIAN, takes a whole lot more than being a drummer to get on that level.

I do agree with @Leonard Smalls though. In this day and age of YouTube and Instagram, I've seen and heard a ton of instrumentalists who really aren't musicians lately.

Unfortunately, while a few years ago this trend seemed to be reserved for guitarists, it has now plagued a ton of drummers all over the world. I've grown tired from all the "drum chops" videos with all their clinics and sponsorships (the drummer market is really weird...).

Find it refreshing when, once in a while, I come across a drummer who also understands there's other musicians in the band. And a big part of drumming, for me, is playing with the song and accentuating what everyone else is doing. Be it either with the kick drum to help the bass, the snare to help the riff, the cymbals to nail singer lines, etc etc.

Edited by kyuuga
  • Thanks 1

As Lennon famously said when confronted with the observation that Ringo Starr isn't exactly the best drummer in the world............

Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. 

Takes great musicianship to be a great drummer, as above too many drummers have avoided the path required to be a great musician, and simply become great technicians (as have many bassists and guitarists). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

As Lennon famously said when confronted with the observation that Ringo Starr isn't exactly the best drummer in the world............

Takes great musicianship to be a great drummer, as above too many drummers have avoided the path required to be a great musician, and simply become great technicians (as have many bassists and guitarists). 

Unlike for the zillions of 'pro' YT guitards and bassists, it's a mite harder for drummists setting up a kit in the bedroom. Anyway, nice crisp, clean playing there by Larnell Lewis who's with Snarky Puppy.  As a kit player meself this is what I like to hear and not  bashing everything in a kit loudly like some demented octopus 

Not quite my bag in terms of musical style, but the guy is a great musician for sure.

Pretty impressive that he did it after only one listen, but I get the feeling he would have done something pretty good even if he never heard it before!

I think people sometimes equate music to notes and chords, and think rhythm is something else.

Don't knock the drummer - a good one is they guy making the rest of the band sound good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Beedster said:

No he didn't, Jasper Carrot joke. Although I agree with your post. 

• Thanks 1

I have not watched the OP's video, but Llarnell is an amazing drummer, whether it is your thing or not.

I think the story of him with Snarky Puppy is equally as amazing - they were flying over to Amsterdam (or somewhere similar) to record one of their video sessions (I think it was We Like It Here?) and their usual drummer Robert Seawright hadn't realised his passport had expired.  They had it all booked to do so contacted Llarnell who had sat in with them at the odd gig and sent him a demo of the new tracks,. 

He listened to them on the plane over then did the sessions with all the weird time signatures/stops etc.  Pretty amazing in my book. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scalpy said:

No he didn't, Jasper Carrot joke. Although I agree with your post. 

That's a claim about Carrot saying it in 1983, but ze innerwebz say it's apparently older than that. It's stated it was in a 1981 sketch on BBC's Radio Active, voiced by Philip Pope, and written by Geoffrey Perkins and/or Angus Deayton.

My problem is I recently saw a Beatles documentary, and feel sure that one of the Beatles said it in one of those hasty and cheeky group interviews right after their plane landed somewhere - Ringo just outside the picture, so I couldn't see his response to the joke.
Since the Beatles community doesn't seem to recognise it, I must have dreamt that whole interview. 😟

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: that was awesome! Thanks for posting it, and I agree with the general sentiment of "a musician".

• Like 1

Good short term recolection although I suspect it is the sort of thing he would have done anyway. If you can play it you can play it.

I do like decent drum videos if there is stuff going on, it is nicer just to have it higher in the mix anyway, or just focus on one part of a song. Sometimes you miss the subtleties when you don't see what is involved.

Like here, at 7 minutes - 9 minutes, the left and right hand separation are something I couldn't do, even if I could play drums (which I don't), let alone keep it up for 2 mintues. And you know it isn't cut in because it a multicamera live.

Also shows that drummers can get away with such bad clothes choice as they are hidden away!

• Like 1