So up next will be a modern 5 string.

- 35” scale

- 24 frets (may opt for 21)

- 2 active EMG MM pups

- passive EQ VVT (may put in a preamp)

- Black hardware

- 18mm string spacing (single string bridge) at bridge

- brass nut (10mm spacing) 50mm wide

- swamp ash body with a tbd top (walnut likely)

- maple neck, bolt-on

- wenge fretboard (most likely)

- I quite like scalloped headstocks, so will probably go with that

Will be doing a full-size drawing in the next weeks..... old school style :) 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 5

It will take some time before this thing takes shape, but I think I am happy with the body shape and headstock.

- I have decided to go for 21 frets as it helps balance without needing deep cutaways

- headstock I want as small as I can get to prevent neck dive (but it does need to look good and balanced in relation to the body)

- I am going for a pickup position that is around 1/2” back towards the bridge compared to a Ray

Clearly just a first draft, any comments folks?

9D833024-3553-417D-9B1A-1B96F123C699.jpeg

233D09C1-B716-4A12-B09E-60A54454B367.jpeg

• Like 4

And we now have a full size drawing, to the correct dimensions, scale etc.

I need to sort out some neck wood, as I didn’t yet order anything whilst I was deciding what I wanted to do. 

Tuner positions are just approx. to get an idea of the headstock. Not sure what it reminds me of, but I may unintentionally have nicked a design. Pedulla Rapture-ish, but smaller.

The body is an adaptation of the body I designed for my fretless.

Anyway, can start on the body, but the neck will need most work so need to start ordering something...

ED91FC9B-108F-4542-B9B8-A8D77EA6DFBD.jpeg

BCBA35D6-D99D-4E99-91F6-E8535240C31C.jpeg

397D8D0E-DAF1-4155-865A-65ACB284F1A6.jpeg

DBD0BF52-339B-48C7-AC08-2EF6A5FA9680.jpeg

7EEB9759-2FB8-4564-ADD2-5998E35C1787.jpeg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Have you got a mouse in your kitchen?

image.png.4b6aa8641ce6b93dd946313925d2c449.png

I can imagine the confusion, as I am using a kitchen-esque tablecloth on my worktop and clearly I am standing on a chair.

However, my mrs would never let me build anything but dinner in the kitchen (she did let me nick a plastic tablecloth for my workshop), and I’d be chasing any mouse with a mallet :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I can imagine the confusion, as I am using a kitchen-esque tablecloth on my worktop and clearly I am standing on a chair.

However, my mrs would never let me build anything but dinner in the kitchen (she did let me nick a plastic tablecloth for my workshop), and I’d be chasing any mouse with a mallet :)

Man up thats what I do ( between the hours of 8.30 to 5.30 Monday to Friday) then when she gets home I do what she saids to do

In true “me” fashion I am already thinking of/am making changes to the original plan.

- I am indeed going to put the pickups side by side

- with the wenge fretboard and centre “spine” I’ve gone off the nut top idea, most likely going to mix it up

Did the rough body shaping (bandsaw). Since getting my spindle sander I just sand to shape, not needing to make a routing template. More control and no chipout risk.

A8309990-860B-4DA4-87D3-C5125C21F566.jpeg

• Like 2

Leaving aside the whole walnut contact issue, love the maple top, some real charicter there. Sometimes I find the usual flamed maple tops to be a bit boring, lovely as they are, this one should have some real interest to it when the grain is brought out under a finish.

• Like 1

What do you get if you create heaps of sawdust?

......... a thinner, lighter body.

The bass will be 36mm thick. The thinnest I have ever made, but I reckon 6 bolts and the way I designed the body means 18mm for the neck to bolt on to should work well enough.

As I will be adding a lot of hardware, I need to keep the weight down. As is we are at 2.3 kg, which means when all is said and done, so final shaping, all cavities routed, arm/belly contour, rounding we should end up around 1.7kg.

In the end I think we will pretty much bang on 4kg. Hopefully 3.9, but I’d even take 4.1kg.

Still waiting on neck wood, so will likely focus on getting the body all done, ready for routing the neck cavity.

F6965C92-7C53-4DE9-B505-E46D24B6B166.jpeg

90973859-9FDB-4555-B31F-F5B63B639509.jpeg

B7D8775B-FAF3-43FD-ACAD-85176CDD0BA1.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2