Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 1.5FL - COMPLETED (again)

HazBeen

Clamps taken off, it is on straight and there are no gaps. Thank heavens.

Will now let it dry, then put in the maple fret lines. Once those are dry I will trim flush with the neck (have 1-2mm overhang at the moment) , trim the bit on the headstock side and put in the 20” radius.

And then slim down the neck a little, install side dots, nut and redo the oil finish.

1EA1FF61-728E-4A68-BCDA-65E44D110AF7.jpeg

ADFCC449-AD58-4AE9-9FF0-DB2318E8284C.jpeg

• Like 3

Forgot to take my phone so pics will have to follow.

Had a very productive day today:

- Trimmed the fretboard flush with neck

- Reshaped the neck (slimmed down 2mm)

- Scalloped the fretboard to match the headstock 

- Radiused the fretboard

- Rough fit the nut

- Got really frustrated trying to make the maple veneers

- Gave up and ordered maple veneer in the correct thickness (0,6mm)

Just the side dots, lots of sanding in various grits and 6 coats of finishing oil to go.... plus tinkering of course.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 3

Quite happy with this....

Note the 1 side dot (luminlay) on the 21st. Now it’s time to sand.... 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 grit after which we start slapping on 6 coats of finishing oil. I will probably take the fretboard to 1200.

228647D2-FF7F-44F6-B02A-A603D27E209D.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Quite happy with this....

Note the 1 side dot (luminlay) on the 21st. Now it’s time to sand.... 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 grit after which we start slapping on 6 coats of finishing oil. I will probably take the fretboard to 1200.

228647D2-FF7F-44F6-B02A-A603D27E209D.jpeg

That looks very good.  Great job.  What did you use to trim the veneer?  Because the the tendency for a split to follow the grain, I found that the trickiest bit - and maple veneer is tough stuff!

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That looks very good.  Great job.  What did you use to trim the veneer?  Because the the tendency for a split to follow the grain, I found that the trickiest bit - and maple veneer is tough stuff!

Probably raw sharpened talent with a following sanding using a compressed block of utter competence  :( (... that’s probably been blessed by unicorns on a particularly magical day)

no, not jealous .... 😔

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I use a very sharp chisel, one you just need to look at and it cuts you, and sand from about 1mm above the ebony.

But to be frank, I have never ever had veneer perfect and there is 1 spot here as well.

Close but no cigar :) 

But I vastly prefer wood over polystyrene, so I will happily accept the 1 spot ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Probably raw sharpened talent with a following sanding using a compressed block of utter competence  :( (... that’s probably been blessed by unicorns on a particularly magical day)

no, not jealous .... 😔

Trust me, I don’t have any real or special woodworking skills. What I do I think most could do.

I am naive and brave though :) 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

14 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I use a very sharp chisel, one you just need to look at and it cuts you, and sand from about 1mm above the ebony.

But to be frank, I have never ever had veneer perfect and there is 1 spot here as well.

Close but no cigar :) 

But I vastly prefer wood over polystyrene, so I will happily accept the 1 spot ....

The method I use is a metal file in downward strokes at just off a 90° angle to the top and it comes off nice and easy with minimal splitting or if I'm being lazy then its a utility knife 👍🏻

• Like 1