Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 1.5FL - COMPLETED (again)

HazBeen

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

Not really mate. As it is still more forward than the single Bart humbucker I have in the other fretless I built or the bridge pickup on a jazz and no issues there.

I went with the 5 mm back to get a bit more crisp attack, but the placement will ensure enough warm roundness too.

I've just recently become the happy owner of a Nordstrand HB coupled with an East preamp.  Very nice.

Ray34 placement is well crisp, as you put it.  Yours may end up being positively brittle.  I will be interested to hear what you make of it.

• Like 1

Harry, may I ask you why you don't use your router for the deep cavities like the neck pocket or, here, the control ... cavity ?

I've always used a router for this, in multiple passes, of course. To me, it's easier and faster than drilling holes first.

You certainly have a very good reason for this way of working, but each time I'm watching your great work, I'm wondering why...

And as too, like me, don't take it the wrong way. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Harry, may I ask you why you don't use your router for the deep cavities like the neck pocket or, here, the control ... cavity ?

I've always used a router for this, in multiple passes, of course. To me, it's easier and faster than drilling holes first.

You certainly have a very good reason for this way of working, but each time I'm watching your great work, I'm wondering why...

And as too, like me, don't take it the wrong way. 😉

I have found that I have significantly fewer router mishaps if I drill out most of the wood first and then just route the edges and last few mm depth. It is as simple as that. I know that many just us a router, but this works for me and thus have had no reason to change the approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Si600 said:

Said nobody with any taste ever.

Said nobody with any sense of what a proper bass should look like. It makes the sound better; the more custard in it, the better the sustain** ... Custard sustains you ***

** this claim may not be fully supported by an objective scientific investigation 
*** probably true in the absence of other calorie sources 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Si600 said:

Mmm, custard.

It's a recorded fact that sunburst and tort are the emanations of the devil's backside.

The recorded facts ? Yes that’s right, they are indeed emanations of the devils backside. Read book of Genesis (amended) - on the seventh day God said “unfinished business ... let there be sheryl crow, and also tort

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Inlay cavity done.... I am not unhappy with it at all. Was afraid of messing up, but whilst I will obviously need to fill with some sawdust I got it pretty close.

369EDF57-902C-4FA9-9A01-DEC8950C0AB6.jpeg

790418CE-4F92-4B04-9ACC-8828A4999A6F.jpeg

I look at your angled neck transition there (which you wouldn’t see on a fender) and I’m reminded of the story about the designer of the spitfire putting the chord on the wing joint simply because it looked right rather than for any objective engineering reason at all 

26 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I look at your angled neck transition there (which you wouldn’t see on a fender) and I’m reminded of the story about the designer of the spitfire putting the chord on the wing joint simply because it looked right rather than for any objective engineering reason at all 

You missed it.... It actually is function dictating form. The body (where the neck meets body) is angled to ensure better access to the 21st fret (line).

By making the neck cavity and neck heel follow that angle, ensures that both sides of the neck heel have the same length and can accommodate 3 bolts either side. Impossible if neck heel and cavity were “Fender straight”.

Edited by HazBeen

23 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Inlay cavity done.... I am not unhappy with it at all. Was afraid of messing up, but whilst I will obviously need to fill with some sawdust I got it pretty close.

369EDF57-902C-4FA9-9A01-DEC8950C0AB6.jpeg

790418CE-4F92-4B04-9ACC-8828A4999A6F.jpeg

What's the inlay made of? Or did I miss that in the depths of a thread?

Doing 6 coats for this one, 4 on the neck.

Coat 2 went on this am, am doing 3 tonight. Then 4 and 5 Thursday and 6 Friday am.

Then will leave to cure, with a final coat of lemon oil going on Sunday. Will then wax, assemble and do the pre-requisite tinkering next weekend.

No further pics until then :)

• Like 1