Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 1.5FL - COMPLETED (again)

HazBeen

Crawling forward.... as usual.

Took some material off the headstock, ready for scalloping the fretboard and neck.

I always take a slice off the headstock first, as then when I have glued on the fretboard I can mask off the headstock and use my spindle sander to create the scallop without fear of messing things up...... done plenty of that already :)

E107F597-9BB2-4BF9-8559-66CE0405553B.jpeg

• Like 3

Neck is starting to look like it should..... still need to radius the fretboard, but the glue up was fine and trimming the sides didn’t cause issues.

Also did the headstock scallop.

Still loads to do, but we are moving forward at least...

E0B9C063-7AA0-4829-8221-283AE67A488D.jpeg

FC1CA5C7-5FC8-4819-81B2-A9799F59D784.jpeg

EE59B00A-36C3-4C9C-8182-7508C6EC8E94.jpeg

C687089C-C0DE-4AD4-8663-C237B0EA71F6.jpeg

• Like 3

Question @Jabba_the_gut, @Chopthebass, @Andyjr1515 and anyone else who might know. My original plan was to do a CA glue coated fretboard (fretless). But since I use flats (Cobalt Flats or Infelds) on my fretless basses anyway could I choose to keep uncoated do you reckon? Or just a single coat of CA to fill the grain and then sanded. As far as I am aware Wenge is a little softer than Rosewood so am wondering if you would consider it or not if you were doing a wenge fretboard fretless.

8 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Question @Jabba_the_gut, @Chopthebass, @Andyjr1515 and anyone else who might know. My original plan was to do a CA glue coated fretboard (fretless). But since I use flats (Cobalt Flats or Infelds) on my fretless basses anyway could I choose to keep uncoated do you reckon? Or just a single coat of CA to fill the grain and then sanded. As far as I am aware Wenge is a little softer than Rosewood so am wondering if you would consider it or not if you were doing a wenge fretboard fretless.

Personally, I tend to use the Tru-oil slurry and buff method on most dark-wood fretboards other than ebony (which is just sanded down with finer and finer emery /microweb down to 12000 grit).  The slurry fills the grain and you end up with a relatively hard and sweat-resistant finish that feels silky smooth.  If after a few years it starts marking, I just scrape it with a single-bladed razor blade and re-apply.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I’ve only ever done ebony and rosewood fretless, but wenge is still pretty hard so should work well. I agree it is grainier so I would probably use grain filler and tru oil. That oil is polymerized so is pretty hard. 

• Thanks 1

Starting to look like a bass!

Neck now pretty much done (apart from a string retainer) so moving back to the body.

Pickups, neck and control cavities to do. Once that is done I can start thinking about final sanding and finishing.....

F9AB0A11-8BB8-4D63-9F56-CC30AF5A32D3.jpeg

• Like 3

Need to do some calculations to ensure I have the neck pocket exactly right, but to first 10mm is a tight enough fit I’d say.

And neck is on straight too

.... phew...

Will finish next time.

ECEC0F02-223C-4517-AFD0-074259CED6CC.jpeg

88E0AA99-47A8-40B6-BA06-F82DA3878FD4.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1