Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 1.5FL - COMPLETED (again)

HazBeen

1 minute ago, benh said:

Great so far! Looking forward to seeing how the top looks with a few coats of finish on.

Should look pretty cool, although it will take a while before I get to that point.

Next up is finalising the body shape (bit of sanding), then rounding, belly and arm contour and then the bridge/control/pickup cavities. Then we move to the neck build. 

I'd go with the two pickups, the spectrum of tones available even with MM pickups side by side is worth having. Of course you don't have to use the options, but if you go single pickup, you never have the choice.😉

Great build by the way, looking forward to seeing it finished.

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Side by side pickups is not a good idea, the magnetic field of the ... magnets could be so high in the nearby position that you'll start having intonation and frequencies cancellation problems.

Not any issue, I’ve done it before with 2 Dc40s without issue, and so does Michael Tobias (on the Super 5, which has 2 MM style pickups).

10 hours ago, durhamboy said:

I'd go with the two pickups, the spectrum of tones available even with MM pickups side by side is worth having. Of course you don't have to use the options, but if you go single pickup, you never have the choice.😉

Great build by the way, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks, I am enjoying the process. Generally what happens is that I wake up one morning and I know what I want to do.

I may even have 2 with 1 pickup closer to the neck, or just 1 but in MM sweet spot. Time will tell :)

Edited by HazBeen

16 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

Phwooooar that Wenge! Beautiful grain!

I order it from Portugal, slow sometimes but the wood is always very good. Interestingly I asked for 10cm wide, but they sent 12cm wide.

I may go with a flat sawn Wenge centre, Maple Quarter sawn strips and then quarter sawn sides. More than enough wood.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

That string tree looks close to the tuner. Doesn't look like you can slide closer to the nut, without changing the shape of the lower headstock.

Correct, hence the mock up to find out little things like this. I will move the bottom tuners back a little to accommodate.

Well spotted :)

If you angle your head by 18 degrees, then there will be no need for a string tree. And by turning the piece of wood of the headstock upsidedown, you'll strengthen the weakest point of your instrument too. It's more than a win-win situation. 😉

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

If you angle your head by 18 degrees, then there will be no need for a string tree. And by turning the piece of wood of the headstock upsidedown, you'll strengthen the weakest point of your instrument too. It's more than a win-win situation. 😉

Plus... it's a great excuse for a volute!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I want a string tree.... no angle, be it 14, 17 or 18 degrees and no staggered tuners either 😎

• Like 1