Why become a member? ×

NBD G&L MJ-5 Quesion as I don't get it?

Pinball

I'm very happy with a G&L MJ-5 that I bought this week from the BC adds and it got me thinking. A great bass and one of the most musical that I have owned.

It has great balance is etremely light weight (3.52KG). Both pickups sound great solo or when combined, silent electrics, the EQ is great, can dial in decent, P and J tones that I like. Bass wisperer likes MJ's too, here's him talking about the MJ-4. To my ears the tone is exceptional and smooth and powerful so I don't get why do MJ-5's hardly appear in any searches on here?

Didn't they sell them in the UK, maybe people don't like em or is it that didn't people buy them? Maybe all three! opinions?

Edited by Pinball

As an active, five string version of the full fat USA JB-2 basses I think they look bang on the money and no doubt sound and feel   fantastic too. Was it the blue one with the empress body? Only thing I can guess at  re the MJ-5 is that it likely wasn’t selling given that most G&L five strings ordered will be L-2500 or JB-5 models.
I see that the passive JB-2 bass  is discontinued from the USA line too after over twenty years or so in production. Still love the Tribute versions of those and will buy another soon!
Incidentally I exchanged a couple of emails too with another basschatter today about another seemingly unloved and forgotten G&L five string - the L-5500. He just picked one up, his is a ‘95 and mine is a ‘96. Not for everyone with EMG pickups and preamp but a seriously well made G&L with its own vibe.
Definitely good to have something familiar yet little known and/or under appreciated imo

Keir

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dub_junkie said:

As an active, five string version of the full fat USA JB-2 basses I think they look bang on the money and no doubt sound and feel   fantastic too. Was it the blue one with the empress body? Only thing I can guess at  re the MJ-5 is that it likely wasn’t selling given that most G&L five strings ordered will be L-2500 or JB-5 models.
I see that the passive JB-2 bass  is discontinued from the USA line too after over twenty years or so in production. Still love the Tribute versions of those and will buy another soon!
Incidentally I exchanged a couple of emails too with another basschatter today about another seemingly unloved and forgotten G&L five string - the L-5500. He just picked one up, his is a ‘95 and mine is a ‘96. Not for everyone with EMG pickups and preamp but a seriously well made G&L with its own vibe.
Definitely good to have something familiar yet little known and/or under appreciated imo

Keir

Well said, that's exactly how I feel about my L5500! I wasn't aware of the existence of the MJ5 at all.

• Like 2

Thanks for answering. When I'm excited about a bass normally tap into the expertise in BC with a search or a post to get an idea of what others think and maybe tips on settings, which strings they like on them. This time I got zilch!

I may as well be up front that I have tried and failed to get on with several Jazzers. I love G&L's and have had several of the L series and a wonderful SB2. The L's were too liveley and never worked in my band-the rest of the band didn't rate them at all. What have worked best are Stingrays and more recently a passive Dimension bass. I'm naturally drawn to precisions and considered my SB2 my "best bass" but as I have exclusiveley use 5 strings for several years I recently sold it. If only they made an SB5!!!

So having sold my Stingray and SB2 I was lookling for an alternative sound to my Dimension Standard 5 for recording and to play live. The MJ5 will do that. The bridge in particular has a similar sound to the SB and the neck pickup gives warmth and low down thump in a very natural way. There is also plenty of aggression in reserve if needed.

8 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Keir

8 hours ago, The fasting showman said:

Well said, that's exactly how I feel about my L5500! I wasn't aware of the existence of the MJ5 at all.

I guess you are right dub_junkie, lots of competition even within the G&L brand, in addition to the two mentioned there is also the M2500 and the Kiloton 5.

I had seen and looked into the L5500 and also the L5000 too. They both look like nice basses.

Just pointing out that the MJ5 is very different from the JB-5 and has unique pickups. The tone and sound is exceptional especially for someone like me who plays with a pick. Check out bass whiperer when he starts dialing in the lows and uses the pick. That is my sound that is :)

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 22:26, dub_junkie said:

Yeah that's me. I think it's a theme with G&L generally. Not a Fender but it is at the same time. 

I'll post the L-5500 tomorrow when I have some decent light for pics. 

• Like 1