Why become a member? ×

SOLD: NS Bolin Amber Piezo 5 string: Reduced Price : £700
£895
Buckingham

Mikey D

SOLD

Update: reduced now to £700...impending purchase and wife's eyes on bank funds discount.

A result of collaboration between Ned Steinberger and luthier John Bolin and built by Bolin in Idaho USA.

A stunning instrument in very good condition. There are some dings as Shown in pictures.

The absolute best Piezo bass sound available. I think someone on here said “the piezo sound to rule them all”.

Currently strung E to high C.

Get that Steve Swallow vibe.

35in scale
Graphite nut
Sperzel Locking Tuners
Body: Alder
Top: Quilted Maple
Light Amber Finish
Fingerboard: Ebony with small offset markers (was previously drefretted professionally by Andy Viccars and subsequently refretted again by past owners)

Professionally refinished frets by Rob Bowman (head luthier at Auden Guitars)
Fishman piezo under each string
18V preamp
Ramp - detachable using double sided tape
Hard case included

Serial number #0086

I'm only selling this (along with a few other guitars/basses) to fund a more expensive bass I don’t have the luxury of buying outright currently.

484B2F2B-C19C-40F4-907B-7B54A09F0B5F.jpeg

A40A7910-4C85-415A-81D0-EFF1A870C11B.jpeg

2A8ADAAD-C2ED-422F-88C7-0F2FCE28CDAD.jpeg

771FF5A2-0829-4D9B-BC9C-384FE7CBEE3F.jpeg

1378757C-75A5-42A8-8B66-6112B090D7DE.jpeg

AD8D1822-1353-4333-8431-8C2A13B191C7.jpeg

2F9D344F-5D42-4C48-A3B3-DDF4E9E671BB.jpeg

94CC1242-8501-436E-B79A-F71E39411791.jpeg

Edited by Mikey D
SOLD
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Sardar said:

A very cool bass, always loved that headstock design!

35" is too long for me, but good luck with the sale.

Thanks. Works for my small hands. 

37 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I remember a particularly gushing review of one of these in BGM some years back. A real looker for a singlecut, different, yet familiar. GLWTS.

And yes they really are a great looking and sounding single cut. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey D said:

The absolute best Piezo bass sound available. I think someone on here said “the piezo sound to rule them all”.

That might well have been me. It is the sound you hope a Piezo will make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redd said:

Does anyone have any recordings of this bass? Would love to hear it.

Andy

Hi. If I get the chance this week I’ll do something a bit higher fidelity than some instagram noodling but here are two. The latter was a bit ‘hot’ but between those clippings you can get a bit of a better idea of the Steve Swallow piezo growl:

Rusty chordal thing

Plectrum arpeggios

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pluckedout said:

Ha, this was mine - I was the one who got Andy to defret it...only sold it 'cause I needed the cash. Would love to buy it back but would then need to have it defretted once more...

Absolutely amazing bass though, GLWTS.

Hi

I’m letting this go very reluctantly I can assure you. But with 3rd kid on the way all new purchases are being watched even more scrupulously than before so strictly one in one out  I may regret it...

and yes yes I did some digging before of past owners on here and worked this out:

Lastrega: ??
Bassmachine (thanks for the ramp!: ?? - Jan/Feb 2016
Pluckedout: Fe2016 - Feb 2017 (defretted)
PaulS: Feb 2017 - Q4 2018 (refretted)
Sunfish: Q4 2018 - Apr 2019
MikeyD: Apr 2019 - ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a black one of these which also had a single Bartolini pickup. Although a 35" scale it doesn't feel it and much easier to play than any other 35" I've played, so don't let the scale put you off. Also, the lightest bass I've ever owned.

GLWTS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep coming back to this, trying to work out how to justify buying it. I don't play 5 string, don't need a piezo bass, but really like the design!  🙂

What's the width at the nut and bridge, and how deep is the neck? I've trawled the internet but can't find any actual dimensions or information on this.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2021 at 20:08, Richard R said:

I keep coming back to this, trying to work out how to justify buying it. I don't play 5 string, don't need a piezo bass, but really like the design!  🙂

What's the width at the nut and bridge, and how deep is the neck? I've trawled the internet but can't find any actual dimensions or information on this.

The nut is 1 13/16", the fingerboard is 12" radius and the neck is a fairly hefty round profile, but with a slight V.  Almost double bass in style, and definitely much thicker than anything I play usually (I favour Ibanez basses).

Some links on here have a bit more info:  https://www.talkbass.com/threads/official-bolin-ns-design-info-registry.889478/

It is a wonderful bass that I know I'll regret selling but I have another piezo bass (Ibanez SRH505 which lets be honest isn't as good but wasn't as expensive) and the funds are to go to another bass of a completely different style.