Why become a member? ×

Music man advice please

Slappindabass

Need to get a bit slappy with my new band and wondered if my plethora of Precision basses are not the tool for the job. 

These are options I have come up with

A.  Sub 4 sterling

B. Harley Benton

C. Make a precision bass out of the lumps of wood and spares I have laying around. and stick a mm pup in.(cheapest option but will it sound right?)

Thanks for any input whatsoever 

1 hour ago, Slappindabass said:

Need to get a bit slappy with my new band and wondered if my plethora of Precision basses are not the tool for the job. 

A.  Sub 4 sterling

B. Harley Benton

C. Make a precision bass out of the lumps of wood and spares I have laying around. and stick a mm pup in.(cheapest option but will it sound right?)

A - the Sterling Sub Stingray is active and has a neck profile and nut width like a Jazz

B - HB is passive and has a chunky neck and nut width like a Precision. (HB do a double pickup active version that has 24 frets but it all looks a bit schronky (my new word 😄) to me.)

Sterling if you can afford it but HB not to be sniffed at if not.

Edited by miles'tone

53 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Alternatively an OLP with upgraded pup and active pre-amp?

Like this one for example:

Cheap as chips and I’ve loved the ones I tried out.

Agree with you SICbass, bought a used OLP a couple of months ago for £200 inc postage, sounds and plays like it had an extra 0 on the price tag! In fact I love it so much I've just bought another to play around with as a project bass 😁

I also have the Harley deluxe 2 pick up job - it's absolutely stunning, and active and pick ups are bright and punchy as hell. However...the neck pup is so close to the fretboard that you can hit the strings but pulling them is not easy.

On 15 August 2020 at 11:41, Slappindabass said:

A.  Sub 4 sterling

B. Harley Benton

I understand exactly what you mean - from about 1977 on bass guitar sounds became very different - far more focussed/ clean and crisp sounding.

Whilst a Precision can sound ok slapped anyone trying to play Level 42 slap lines on one will immediately see the sonic and other limitations of that type of instrument.

If you want to get the Stingray slap sound (an example of which is a late 70s Louis Johnson sound) on a budget then an SBMM Sub will get you in the ball park (listen to Juliaplaysgroove on You Tube - a good example is her cover of Hair by Larry Graham). For slightly more money, a used USA Sub will get you a full Musicman 2 band EQ sound. 

For those who don't get the difference between a slapped Precision and say later 70s sounds, listen to the first Rose Royce album and then the later 70s ones - the later ones have Alembic bass where the slap sound is far cleaner and crisp sounding (less muddy). 

Edited by drTStingray

5 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

A vote for C

I’m curious, I looked at the beginning of your thread and the bit about pick up positioning. Did you find the positioning on the OLP good or was there room for improvement? And, while I’m on the subject , do all OLPs have the same positioning or does it vary?

Edited by SICbass