Why become a member? Ɨ

Pete Way dead šŸ˜®

dave_bass5

37 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Was trying to recall how Pete Way's name seems to have been a constant for so many years, so spent a bit of time thinking back to the eraĀ in question, and it all came back to me today. I was at school in London and a new guy called Nick arrived and joined my class. He was a music guy I could tell, so we became friends quickly (we were 12 years old I guess). We hung out listened toĀ music, The Jam especially, he wasĀ a big fan and a bit of a mod, even wore a parka to School. He mentioned that he had a family connection with a bass player in a rock band, a guy called Pete, but being a rock band, Nick wasn't interested in Pete at all. But Nick got some free tickets and went to see Pete's band, and despite being a dyedĀ in the wool mod, and despite not wanting to like either Pete or the band, was blown away by both. From that point forwards,Ā he become a modĀ who liked UFO. Hated Motorhead/Purple/Sabbath/Zep, but loved UFO. This was '77/'78 IIRC, feels like aĀ lifetime ago, but seems PeteĀ and the band won a lot of friends in the following years. RIP Pete.Ā 

Apparently there exists somewhere a studio session that Pete Way did with Paul Weller in theĀ very early 80s.

Both Way and Weller (along withĀ Phil Mogg) wereĀ big fans of Steve Marriott so I assume it was of that ilk...

UFO appeared to be one of those older rock bands that some of theĀ punk/new wave musicians liked/hung around with.Ā When Way left UFO Pete Farndon of the Pretenders was considered as aĀ replacement.Ā Pete Way also did some recordings with Topper Headon.

And of course Paul Gray from the Danmed was Peteā€™s eventualĀ replacement in 1983 (after Billy Sheehan stepped in to help out on a European tour).

20 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Now THAT is a coincidence. I met Paul Gray once too. He produced this:

I never knew Paul Gray played with UFO.

Ā 

Yes, he did the farewell tour... then of course the following tour after the farewell tour that they did.

He was a good fit - and in true UFO fashion (and as a homage to Pete!)Ā used a Thunderbird (non reverse), rather than the Rickenbacker he used with Eddie & the Hot Rods, and the Damned...

Ive got a live UFO recording somewhere, i think it was a BBC in concert session,Ā or at least recorded by them. It stuck me that its the only live recording ive heard (of any band other than mine)Ā with mistakes in theĀ playing. Made it sound aĀ bitĀ more real,.Ā 

On 15/08/2020 at 08:25, skidder652003 said:

Greatest Live album of all time (arguably)

Ā 

Ā 

I was a young kid, in the times before internet (but just after dinosaurs were extinct so we never overlapped) and the only way I had to find out about various bands out there was listening to the radio (very few dedicated rock shows), and sharing among friends... and sometimes just taking a punt on something.Ā 

I was at the local record store looking for I can't remember what, which they didn't have, and I could not go home empty-handed. I knew of Michael Schenker and was curious... but the MSG section was empty. Then I remembered UFO. They had only Force ItĀ (1975) andĀ Strangers in the night (1979). I bought Force It because it was cheaper.Ā 

Getting home, putting the album on... Let it roll starts... and I was hooked before we got to the first solo. I wore out that album. Then I bought Strangers in the night, and I was a UFO fan ever since.

I don't listen to them a lot these days, but they're always going to be up there for me. True no nonsense rock and roll band.

• Like 3

I always liked rock music but for some reason I thought UFO were Ā a really classy rock band. I just loved their sound (still do) They just seemed to be able to come up with songs that were a cut above others. It's sad that more and more of them are gone now. Tonks died earlier in the year and Paul Raymond gone too.

Just now, ubit said:

I always liked rock music but for some reason I thought UFO were Ā a really classy rock band. I just loved their sound (still do) They just seemed to be able to come up with songs that were a cut above others. It's sad that more and more of them are gone now. Tonks died earlier in the year and Paul Raymond gone too.

PaulĀ Raymond was another hero of mine. When i got in to playing keys (and even now), i can hear his influence on my playing. He was the first keyboard player in a band i ever reallyĀ paid attention to.Ā 

Think Iā€™m going to go off and (re) learn the intro to Doctor Doctor on keys today lol.Ā 

SomethingĀ about the UFO sound that never sounded over produced. You could always hear what was going on. AĀ bit more basic than what came along in the 80ā€™s, but more ā€˜realā€™ i guess. Iā€™d say the same about Judas Priest. I guess that was the whole NWOBHM sound.

I saw UFO when Michael Schenker had first joined them - just before 'Phenomenon' was released.Ā  Wow, made a huge impression on me.Ā  Saw them again a few years on at the Roundhouse when they had one of their infamous on-stage bust-ups.Ā  MS stormed off.

A few years ago my rock covers band always opened with 'We Belong To The Night'.Ā  What a great track!Ā  RIP, sir.

Ā 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

PaulĀ Raymond was another hero of mine. When i got in to playing keys (and even now), i can hear his influence on my playing. He was the first keyboard player in a band i ever reallyĀ paid attention to.Ā 

Think Iā€™m going to go off and (re) learn the intro to Doctor Doctor on keys today lol.Ā 

SomethingĀ about the UFO sound that never sounded over produced. You could always hear what was going on. AĀ bit more basic than what came along in the 80ā€™s, but more ā€˜realā€™ i guess. Iā€™d say the same about Judas Priest. I guess that was the whole NWOBHM sound.

I think Paul Raymondā€™s role in the development of the band is something that gets overlooked.

They were at the stage where, to get the best out of the sound/songs,Ā a full-time keyboard player just wasnā€™t required. Imagine the Lights Out and Obsession albums with a full-time keys player!

Getting Paul Raymond in was a masterstroke and allowed them to effortlessly switch between having a highly accomplishedĀ rhythm guitar player and a top notch keys player all in one - and there havenā€™t been that many of those around over the years.

It wasĀ also great that he finally got his writing credits recognised when they released the remastered albums in 2008...

17 hours ago, Beedster said:

Have a listen mate, itā€™s cliche 80ā€™sĀ rock in some respects but thereā€™s definitely something a bit special going on

That's the benefit of hindsight, at the time it was neither clichƩd, nor 80's rock.

Ā 

49 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I think Paul Raymondā€™s role in the development of the band is something that gets overlooked.

They were at the stage where, to get the best out of the sound/songs,Ā a full-time keyboard player just wasnā€™t required. Imagine the Lights Out and Obsession albums with a full-time keys player!

Getting Paul Raymond in was a masterstroke and allowed them to effortlessly switch between having a highly accomplishedĀ rhythm guitar player and a top notch keys player all in one - and there havenā€™t been that many of those around over the years.

It wasĀ also great that he finally got his writing credits recognised when they released the remastered albums in 2008...

Must admit i was a bit late to the party. 1979 was the first time i knew about UFO, and only brought Shoot ShootĀ Ā (un heard) because it was onĀ clear vinyl. I remember putting in on, being blown away, and had learnt the guitar off by the end fo the day lol.

Then i was introduced to Strangers in the Night by a family member. Never looked back.Ā 

I love keyboards in rock, so i can actually imagine those early albumsĀ sounding great with a full time keys player. Raymonds keys are quite subtle most of the time. Never too upfront unless needed. Love that style.Ā 

1 hour ago, ubit said:

They just seemed to be able to come up with songs that were a cut above others. It's sad that more and more of them are gone now. Tonks died earlier in the year and Paul Raymond gone too.

Very true, I've always believed that the true test of a song is how god it sounds when covered by an artist from a completely different genre, and Love to Love by Djali Zwan from the 'Spun' soundtrack is a great example of just how good UFO's songs were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Very true, I've always believed that the true test of a song is how god it sounds when covered by an artist from a completely different genre, and Love to Love by Djali Zwan from the 'Spun' soundtrack is a great example of just how good UFO's songs were.

Ill have a listen to that.Ā 

As much as Europe are looked down on by many,Ā ive always liked their verison of Love to Love

Ā 

UFO are a great band, just bought a box set on Amazon - The Complete Studio Albums (1974-1986), 8 albums on CD with bonus tracks on all CD's, all for Ā£25.69 !!, I have a couple of their records but I am looking forward to investigating these albums :)Ā 

Profession Of Violence is one of my favourite songs ever :)Ā 

Ā 

John šŸ˜ŽĀ 

Edited by madshadows
  • Like 1

One of the albums that kind of gets passed by is the 1995 release 'Walk On Water' where they all got back together again, albeit briefly.Ā  Back to form, I'd say.Ā  They re-did a couple of old favourites including a fab version of 'Lights Out' but the stand out track for me was 'Pushed To The Limit'

Ā 

On 15/08/2020 at 08:25, skidder652003 said:

Greatest Live album of all time (arguably)

Ā 

So, just listened to the album through phones (not my preferred media but also doing the Sunday roast). What I hadn't noticed before is how authentic it all sounds, lots of tubes rather than FX units being driven, drums sound like live drumsĀ etc. As opposed to the other well known live album of the time (mentioning no names) it does sound like a band playing live. Great album, really enjoyed the last 90 minutes. For me Natural Thing and I'm a Loser are the stand outs.Ā 

• Like 1

Couldn't find the original NME page, but in reviewing UFO in the late '70's following their tour of the US, NME used the below photo with the caption "Members of UK rock band UFO photographed entering US passport control". AlwaysĀ made me smile :)

image.thumb.png.bcb92ef7ec54adab6a5809a9a4069047.png

• Like 3