Why become a member? ×

Help please - 1/4" tape transfer

Hello good people of Basschat. In the words of David Coverdale - 'Ere's one for ya'.

I've found this 1/4" tape which has been buried for several decades in the boxes in our loft space. It's a studio recording from (I think) the second ever band I was part of.

I believe there are two tracks on the tape, but I have no means of playing it. What you see in the photo's is about as much as I can remember. I think it's kind of Northern Soul-ish in content.

I would like to get it transferred to digital, but it must be with absolutely zero risk to the original tape, because as far as I am aware, it is the only one in existence.

By that, I'm not saying it is anything special, it's just if something goes wrong with this or it goes missing, that would be a shame, as I would like to hear what is on it.

The only information I can add, is that it was definitely recorded using my then go to bass, a Westone Thunder II. I only had one other bass at that time which was a Washburn Scavenger.

I still have both basses.

I would be grateful if you could suggest somewhere that I can Special Deliver this tape to that can guarantee it will transferred to digital and returned with confidence.

I will of course share the results. However embarrassing they may be.

Suit up!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

... transferred to digital and returned with confidence...

No problem for me, transferring to digital; I've dozens of similar tapes from 'back then' (fifty years ago; where did the time go..?). The only issue is delivering it (to France...) and sending it back. If you can get it to me, I'm equipped to deal with it. Of course, if there's others closer to home, go for it, but it's a doddle, for those with a suitable reel to reel and an interface.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Just now, Dad3353 said:

No problem for me, transferring to digital; I've dozens of similar tapes from 'back then' (fifty years ago; where did the time go..?). The only issue is delivering it (to France...) and sending it back. If you can get it to me, I'm equipped to deal with it. Of course, if there's others closer to home, go for it, but it's a doddle, for those with a suitable reel to reel and an interface.

Wow, thanks Douglas. I will, of course, pay you for your services and secure shipping both ways. I would be much happier sending it to someone I know rather than a stranger. I'm sure I could sort out a secure delivery to you if you could send me your address via PM. I must say that I'm very cloudy about what's actually on this tape. It might be cringeworthy at best, but it would be nice to hear it after all these years.

57 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've got several reels of 1" Ampex in my spare room that I have zero idea of their content.  I'd love to get these converted just so I can see what's on them too!

Sorry, can't do 1" tape (Slice it lengthwise..? No..? Oh well -_- ...).

This fellow has the gear for that (1" multi-track and more...) ...

The White House, Weston-Super-Mare ...

Worth enquiring..? B|

Edited by Dad3353

If you'd asked 6 months ago I could have done it! That's when I sold my Revox pr99 and Dolby A/SR decoder...

However, bear in mind the tape may have degraded over the years (shedding or "sticky" tape) so it may need restoration. You'll probably be able to tell by unravelling a bit... If it is I'd use someone like www.audiorestored.com 

• Thanks 1

I'm assuming that anyone with the proper kit should just be able to spool up the tape, hit play and record on a computer?  I wouldn't need anything mixed, but assume I'd just get a bunch of wav files that I could just load up into ProTools?

How long are those Ampex tapes, time wise?

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

...anyone with the proper kit ...

Indeed; now define 'proper kit'. 1/4" tape is (or, rather, 'was'...) pretty ubiquitous, with few (but important...) variants, but 1" tape is much more specific. 4, 8, 16 track..? Spool size..? Running speed..? Pre-record treatment such as Dolby (and which one...)..? I could go on. The studio I linked to have a pretty wide range of gear, and once identified, could handle, I suspect, any 'normal' 1" tape. Useful if you've not got, yourself, the specs of the tape to hand. Yes, it's easy, and the result would, indeed, be a 'bunch of WAV files' or similar. Others offer the same service, but there aren't many that can cater for an unknown format, unless they're just lucky.
Just sayin', hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

1” tape is going to have a lot more variables than 1/4”.

It could hold any number of tracks from 8 to 24, be recorded at a number different speeds with various possible noise reduction systems (or none at all).

Hopefully all the relevant details including the types of test tone used are on the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short - I was all set to send the tape off to @Dad3353, when out of the blue, a local option popped up which seemed more sensible in that I could hand deliver it to the studio. Had a call this morning that having spooled it up, the tape made it through the test tones and then went wobbly. Tape is sticky all the way through and needs to go off for baking to remove the moisture. Tape is said to be in good condition, but cannot be used until this process has been completed.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 14/08/2020 at 22:48, Dad3353 said:

What about the occasional need to 'bake' tapes, particularly Ampex, due to the emulsion attaching itself to the back of the tape?

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Long story short...

Hope it works out OK (stop biting your nails; that won't help..! -_- )
I may have dodged a bullet there. :/ I must be lucky, as none of my tapes are beyond listening, despite the very hard life they've had.

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

What about the occasional need to 'bake' tapes, particularly Ampex, due to the emulsion attaching itself to the back of the tape?

I had, back then, no money at all for tapes such as Ampex; all my stuff is budget and lower, with just a few Scotch or Philips reels. None of them have become unplayable, despite their low cost and the very 'iffy' storage they've 'enjoyed'. I wouldn't know how to 'bake' a reel, so wouldn't even try. 

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I had, back then, no money at all for tapes such as Ampex; all my stuff is budget and lower, with just a few Scotch or Philips reels. None of them have become unplayable, despite their low cost and the very 'iffy' storage they've 'enjoyed'. I wouldn't know how to 'bake' a reel, so wouldn't even try. 

Just seen the OP's latest post, hence my worry. Glad to see it has all worked out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Long story short - I was all set to send the tape off to @Dad3353, when out of the blue, a local option popped up which seemed more sensible in that I could hand deliver it to the studio. Had a call this morning that having spooled it up, the tape made it through the test tones and then went wobbly. Tape is sticky all the way through and needs to go off for baking to remove the moisture. Tape is said to be in good condition, but cannot be used until this process has been completed.

Is the facility on Baker Street?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bizarre update....

Just had a call from the guy who is sorting out the transfer. It's all done with no issues, but his starter for 10 was 'Is that Andy ****** on vocals?'. I have to say I have long forgotten most of the names involved, but he was spot on with the singer, drummer and where we all lived at the time. I'm now going to see if I can find the others via social media and share the results with them.

I don't have the files yet. Will share in due course....but please, don't expect too much.

• Like 4

I also have a tape somewhere that could do with copying.

Possibly more problematic, I also have a couple (?) of Betamax tapes that some old studio sessions (late ‘80s) were mixed down onto, that being the preferred method of the (local) studio at the time. I have no idea whether they’re playable or suitable for copying to digital, but would love to find out. Anyone know anywhere that might be able to copy these? Or are they likely to be dead in the water?