Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

22 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Interestingly, I played the TMB-35 at a gig the other day, and it is one we recorded, both in video and straight from the desk (ie, the individual tracks).

I went to do a video for the internet picked a track and started mixing hte audio. I noticed that the beginning of the track (the track was she, so it was bass and drums), there was clicking that meant it was hard to use without a lot of edting to get rid of (and it was really hard to get rid of it). I assumed it was the cheap chinese dongles, mentioned in the above post, so while I was faffing around, I thought maybe its just easier to rerecord the intro where it shows up most (its in other bits but don't realy notice in the mix).

So I took the TMB-35, connected a lead to my U-Phoria audio interface into logic and rerecorded it.

Listening to the recording that I had just done, it had pretty well the same clicking. Its like a dropout or something, but this is done on different interfaces on other machines (and I tried other basses at home with the same equipment, they didn't do it).

The intro to She is probably a bit different as I am using a pick, which I don't normally use much, and it seems to be present in big transients so I thought maybe pickup contact, but it does happen at other less loud parts.

I guess I need to shield it and replace the electronics (it has very bad pots and wiring) but anyone else had that sort of thing?

The bass is great for what it is, so it is worth updating it

I didn’t notice that when I had my TMB35 but I did shield it thoroughly with copper tape and replaced the electronics with Alpha pots, etc.

I have had similar clicking with another bass, when I tried latex finger cots to protect blisters I had developed on my first two picking fingers. It didn’t happen when I played it with a pick. It also didn’t happen when I used the finger Cots on my Nordstrand Acinonyx, which has metal covers on the pickups. I can only guess at what was causing it: did the latex temporarily interfere with the magnetism when in contact with the strings? Could that be happening with your pick? Is it made of an unusual material? Sounds a bit tenuous to me but maybe worth trying a different pick material?

28 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I have had similar clicking with another bass, when I tried latex finger cots to protect blisters I had developed on my first two picking fingers. It didn’t happen when I played it with a pick. It also didn’t happen when I used the finger Cots on my Nordstrand Acinonyx, which has metal covers on the pickups. I can only guess at what was causing it: did the latex temporarily interfere with the magnetism when in contact with the strings? Could that be happening with your pick? Is it made of an unusual material? Sounds a bit tenuous to me but maybe worth trying a different pick material?

Interesting idea, it was a different pick in each situation, one was unusual but the other one was just a standard fender pick.

I guess I need to sit down with it with an interface and try different styles and different pot positions to see if anything makes a difference. I replaced the tone pot with an alpha pot, as it fell off, but the volumes are still the original, maybe change that too. Certainly need to do the shielding like you did, although I didn't have any actual hum issues live - i know it buzzes noticably at home on the bridge pickup only, but I never play on just that one, might replace its volume with a switch. In fact, might replace all the volumes with a switch

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Interesting idea, it was a different pick in each situation, one was unusual but the other one was just a standard fender pick.

I guess I need to sit down with it with an interface and try different styles and different pot positions to see if anything makes a difference. I replaced the tone pot with an alpha pot, as it fell off, but the volumes are still the original, maybe change that too. Certainly need to do the shielding like you did, although I didn't have any actual hum issues live - i know it buzzes noticably at home on the bridge pickup only, but I never play on just that one, might replace its volume with a switch. In fact, might replace all the volumes with a switch

Good luck with your experimentation. These issues can be extremely vexing to sort out! The bridge jazz pickup cavity certainly needs shielding, if your TMB35 is like mine, which had no graphite paint in that area but did under the precision pickup (bizarre).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you guys help me identify this one? It's up for sale locally.
This is the only picture that's on the ad.

E08FBvM.png

It has the stacked pots, it's made in 2000 in Japan and it has the Accucast bridge from the time period.
But i can't for the life of me find this color combo anywhere.
Been looking at catalogs from the time period, but no luck so far.

I THINK this is a SR3000 that's been refinished, but those basses also came with inlays. It also doesn't have the circular headstock logo that some of those basses had at the time.

Edited by Gnermo

F3zf5lo.jpgHe

This is a 2019-ish group photo.

Ibanez CTB-3NT - SR1000 - EDA905 - 2365B -RS824 - SR1200 - RB808.
I've since sold the CTB, EDA , but i've added the SR1306 and a lovely SB900.

The RB808 has a broken switch, and only produces sound in one position... :(

• Like 3

On 13/08/2022 at 07:04, Gnermo said:

I have NEVER heard of that one, cheers man.
I must admit I was only checking the USA catalogs, and it wasn't in there.

Here's my SR1306PD and SR886BK (sold the latter):

SVEwCKB.jpg

PLg5424.jpg

fdlPdNA.jpg

A5efOFI.jpg

QSMxEdG.jpg

Love those earlier 6ers with thin pickups. 

I'll bite too. Here's the collection. 

In (what I hope will be the) order:

SR30th5PII (Indonesia, 2017)

SR5005-SOL (MIJ, 2009)

SR1306PM (MIJ 1993-1994) and SR3006 (MIJ 2003) 

SR800 (1993-1994)

SR1306 (the same as above)

OriginalPhoto-622672155.003986.thumb.jpg.e5c1a6b8579145f5d7f23ba5d2045ee9.jpgB34091F2-C7FC-4B27-9C7D-864EEE3706F1-2E5F8B9F-1C9E-49AC-AF93-921908C51FD8.thumb.jpg.6c7bf9a5deffda99e5eef45cd1a52002.jpgIMG_1268.thumb.jpg.e72f7a9e541365997200623632979392.jpgIMG_6543.thumb.jpg.59f05bb54690ea107c553a2646563100.jpgIMG_6175.thumb.jpg.1491169b67b3ad31365575ba888a3324.jpg

• Like 5

On 13/08/2022 at 16:14, Gnermo said:

F3zf5lo.jpgHe

This is a 2019-ish group photo.

Ibanez CTB-3NT - SR1000 - EDA905 - 2365B -RS824 - SR1200 - RB808.
I've since sold the CTB, EDA , but i've added the SR1306 and a lovely SB900.

The RB808 has a broken switch, and only produces sound in one position... :(

I used to have an RS824 and it's one of the few basses I regret selling. I never had an SR at the same time so it's interesting to see the size difference between them from your pic.

Edited by crazycloud

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2022 at 22:34, crazycloud said:

I picked up a new SR375 SPB and it's awesome. Pics tomorrow when I have some time and can get it out in the sunlight as it's way prettier in the flesh, but not at all flashy.

Other stuff and then some rain got in the way, but I did take a couple of pics, and accidentally deleted the front view on stand without the plastic control legend.

There are no marks, just reflections and tricks of the light. The body looks like a one piece maple as outdoors in the light I really can't see a join. The blue looks like a subtle burst on the edge, but as you adjust the angle and look directly on, it's not. For a modestly priced instrument, Ibanez have done a wonderful job on this bass, mine at least.

It plays wonderfully like all SRs do and sounds great. I've no idea why some people knock the pickups and I think they'll stay stock. I have lots of others to compare them with including my own.

Ibanez SR375e body front.jpg

Ibanez SR375e body.jpg

Ibanez SR375e body rear.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NBD SR600E

Bought used from "Guitar Guitar", really like it though the pickups are licenced Nordy "Big Breaks which sound a bit different to the original Nordy "Big Singles" on my SR30th Premium and SR1305 Premium, even though it seems to have the same EQ circuit.

I'll put a set of 100-40 rounds on it and drop the saddles slightly, as the nut and relief seem fine.

it's also currently sporting a Roland GRKB pick up, which was one of the reasons I bought it, as I can't bring myself to put it on the SR1300 despite constantly threatening to sell/swap for a 4 string :laugh1:

742288702_SR600EFront.thumb.jpg.a3c1067108ec14d2a283568f5d4f5f6d.jpg

806397411_SR600EBack.thumb.jpg.efd089ffa94fe713734d236be2574a38.jpg

1100076568_SR600EBodyFront.thumb.jpg.200fbb5afe0373cf2984e9ef8af7a79a.jpg

1860273998_SR600EBodyBack.thumb.jpg.f7790868d47197a95521732d50e82a2f.jpg

1999180610_SR600EHeadstock.thumb.jpg.b6c03252dcc3c0a975a0d07fecd3e56e.jpg

Edited by 2pods
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 09/04/2021 at 09:35, Baloney Balderdash said:

Don't think I ever posted a picture of my main Ibanez Mikro Bass here after I transplanted the outstanding neck from my old 2010 production GSRM20 Mikro Bass to the mahogany body of my newer 2017 production GSRM20B in Weathered Black finish, so here it is (also swapped the side mounted barrel type jack output socket to a front mounted regular one, as I got the 1 P pickup I have installed wired directly to the output jack socket, and as such the knobs are only there for strictly cosmetic reasons. Also swapped the Model P pickup on this picture out for an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup since the photo was shot) :

GSRM20-B-Body-White-Stripes-background-E

Most recent picture of my beloved, just 28.6" scale, Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I named "Dud Bottomfeeder".

Swapped the DiMarzio Model P P pickup back to the EMG Geezer Butler P pickup I previously had installed in it, connected directly to the output jack socket, as well as I added a Jack Skellington skull sticker and some colored electrical tape (also known as insulation tape).

At the moment strung with regular D'Addario XL nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core string of the gauges .095 - .072 - .054 - . 040 (the two middle ones actually being guitar strings, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings to not fall through the bridge mounting string holes), for an almost perfectly tension balanced set, and tuned in regular E standard tuning.

Mikro-Bass-Final-Square-666999-130722-co

Edit!!!:

In the meantime I decided to tune it to tenor bass tuning, or rather 1 half step above regular tenor bass tuning, that is A# standard tuning, right between regular 4 string bass E1 standard tuning and regular guitar E2 standard tuning, or as 1 half step above the upper 4 strings of a 6 string bass.

Strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, again as close to perfectly tension balanced as I could get with the single string gauges available.

And I love it!

After a lot of experimenting with both different strings and tunings, this really seems like this is the ideal string and tuning choice for this instrument.

Naturally does require its own unique approach to playing and writing music on it that is neither identical with traditionally bass or traditional guitar, but that again opens up some unique possibilities as well.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2