Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

6 hours ago, biro said:

I have the version powered by the two AA batteries. I have no idea why they made that choice, but I will say that I really don't think it's useless.

I said it was useless as mine didn't actually work, mid range and treble was non functional, and this is apparently fairly common

6 hours ago, biro said:

Although I think that tone, too, is quite good, the phase cancellation is really significant. In terms of working well in a mix, the 5005 really has no comparison among my basses.

It is good, and if it was a bit lighter I would gig it more often!

one thing I love about it is how different the pickups are, in that my other prestige's, the sound of the bridge is just a trebly version of the neck one, but the 5005 pickups have their own sound

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I went to change the strings on my ibby ehb1005ms last night and the nut literally fell off with the strings... 

Poorly glued in by the looks of it, but the real shocker was how poorly cut it was! The string slots were any shape but round, and the low B and E literally clicked onto the stock strings they were so tight. That on top of fret wear, a finger slicing sharp fret end and a threaded strap peg on a brand new £1K+ bass and you've got some Absolutely appalling QC as well as some shocking checks by Andertons before it was shipped. 😡

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Absolutely appalling QC as well as some shocking checks by Andertons before it was shipped.

That’s really poor, imo, you shouldn’t be doing anything to a new 1k bass except maybe adjusting the saddle height or tweaking the truss rod to suit your playing preference 

• 3 months later...

I like the look of the BTB 5 string series. They tick a lot of the things I'm looking for: 19mm spacing, 35" scale, 24 frets, and they have 3 band EQ with 3x mid-frequency selector.  I had the SRMS805 that hasd the same pickups and preamp and it sounded great (the issue I had with it was tight 16.5mm string spacing). I am after something lightweight though and can't find anything online giving the weights - does anyone here know that?

There is a big range in cost from £773 to £1,299 and that includes different body types as well as things like pickups so I assume they each have quite different weights.  https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb765_del.htm?ref=prod_variations_418299_2 ......I'll email Thomann to see if they give the weight information. (Edit: Thomann replied to say they can't give out the weights of Basses as it varies Bass to Bass - I has asked specifically about one B stock Bass though so I reckon they could if they felt inclined!)

Edited by SumOne

Hello fellow Ibanez bass enthusiasts! I'm looking for a four string BTB, specifically a BTB 740, in or around UK/Europe. I can find several from Japan on Ebay, but other than using the common search engines to the best of my ability, I'm not really sure of places I can check closer to the UK/Europe. Tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Since covid I’ve found I can’t manage my fender etc, so switched to these and have never been happier with my basses! I’m longing for an SR2600 in cerulean blue now! 
I don’t see me going back to bigger basses again now tbh. I desperately miss my old highly figured sr500 though, sold on here with deep regret. 

AD59191D-CF56-4FE8-804C-C6305CF577CD.jpeg

B389FD09-8A84-4E68-8D7D-146EF1F069DD.jpeg

3F21386A-B6C7-4ED4-A54A-ED1C531FC17A.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2021 at 20:30, gafbass02 said:

Since covid I’ve found I can’t manage my fender etc, so switched to these and have never been happier with my basses! I’m longing for an SR2600 in cerulean blue now! 
I don’t see me going back to bigger basses again now tbh. I desperately miss my old highly figured sr500 though, sold on here with deep regret. 

AD59191D-CF56-4FE8-804C-C6305CF577CD.jpeg

B389FD09-8A84-4E68-8D7D-146EF1F069DD.jpeg

3F21386A-B6C7-4ED4-A54A-ED1C531FC17A.jpeg

Love that SR1200 VNF.

@gafbass02theres a 2600 on pmt i believe reduced to 1099.

Lads, recommendations for a new pre for my SR600? My previous one is fried and have replaced bart mk I with big singles. They sound a bit too tame passive, any recommendations for a nice aggressive pre?

Darkglass tone capsule?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Love that SR1200 VNF.

@gafbass02theres a 2600 on pmt i believe reduced to 1099.

Lads, recommendations for a new pre for my SR600? My previous one is fried and have replaced bart mk I with big singles. They sound a bit too tame passive, any recommendations for a nice aggressive pre?

Darkglass tone capsule?

Cheers. Thanks loads for that, I’ve spotted it. Sadly an unexpected expense and covid cancelled corporate gigs took half the money I’d saved :( 

Edited by gafbass02

On 28/07/2021 at 15:30, thisisswanbon said:

So I went to change the strings on my ibby ehb1005ms last night and the nut literally fell off with the strings... 

Poorly glued in by the looks of it, but the real shocker was how poorly cut it was! The string slots were any shape but round, and the low B and E literally clicked onto the stock strings they were so tight. That on top of fret wear, a finger slicing sharp fret end and a threaded strap peg on a brand new £1K+ bass and you've got some Absolutely appalling QC as well as some shocking checks by Andertons before it was shipped. 😡

The glue bit is not an issue. A nut will stay in place just by string pressure.

Over doing the glue can make it a nightmare when a nut needs to be replaced. So minimal glue is used so it can be pinged off easily. 2 or 3 tiny drops of super glue is plenty, and is better than wood glue as it doesn't soak into the neck and cause neck wood damage when being removed.

Badly cut though - that's proper annoying, as are sharp fret ends. 

14 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The glue bit is not an issue. A nut will stay in place just by string pressure.

Over doing the glue can make it a nightmare when a nut needs to be replaced. So minimal glue is used so it can be pinged off easily. 2 or 3 tiny drops of super glue is plenty, and is better than wood glue as it doesn't soak into the neck and cause neck wood damage when being removed.

Badly cut though - that's proper annoying, as are sharp fret ends. 

It was shockingly cut, it looked as if it had been hacked out with a Stanley knife. It was sent back a second time for truss rod issues after it was returned back from this repair, and in the end they refunded it and I exchanged for one of the short scale models. Shame, too; the Birdseye on the fretboard was exceptional, much better than on my new one.

This one also came with a stripped out strap peg hole, but I was sick of complaining about it at this point so I filled it with toothpicks as standard.

So, I now own an ibanez again- took delivery of an SRMD205 in flat black on new years eve.

I bought it for downtuned heavy music.

I took the pickguard off straight away, cuz the white pearloid one looked cheap and tacky imo. Suggestions? Leave it off? Tortoiseshell? Black on black?

Also, the bass sounds VERY bright imo. This will be great for metal tones, but at the moment I'm playing stoner/doom stuff. Considering putting a set of labella flats on it. Is that just completely at odds with the theme here? Flats on a modern looking active 5 string bass feels weird. Once the strings are good and dead, that should take the edge off.

First impressions are great - it's not noticeably heavier than my 4 string short scale. Ergonomics are great - never played a 5 before, but the ibanez SR type neck does not feel unmanageably chunky for me. The bridge pick-up is noisy AF, and in the long run, I'd probably replace the pickups, the pre-amp (or just get rid of it and go passive), and the machine heads, but I bought this new for just over 200 quid new, and would have no hesitation recommending it as a first bass. It's completely playable out of the box.

20220102_040416.jpg

11 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

So, I now own an ibanez again- took delivery of an SRMD205 in flat black on new years eve.

I took the pickguard off straight away, cuz the white pearloid one looked cheap and tacky imo. Suggestions? Leave it off? Tortoiseshell? Black on black?

Also, the bass sounds VERY bright imo. This will be great for metal tones, but at the moment I'm playing stoner/doom stuff. Considering putting a set of labella flats on it. Is that just completely at odds with the theme here? Flats on a modern looking active 5 string bass feels weird. Once the strings are good and dead, that should take the edge off.

First impressions are great - it's not noticeably heavier than my 4 string short scale. Ergonomics are great - never played a 5 before, but the ibanez SR type neck does not feel unmanageably chunky for me. The bridge pick-up is noisy AF, and in the long run, I'd probably replace the pickups, the pre-amp (or just get rid of it and go passive), and the machine heads, but I bought this new for just over 200 quid new, and would have no hesitation recommending it as a first bass. It's completely playable out of the box.

20220102_040416.jpg

Nice looking bass. You could see if you could source a black pickguard. Otherwise put black pg screws in the holes and rock it. 

12 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

20220102_040416.jpg

Very cool! Looks great without pickguard in my opinion 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2022 at 17:14, Naigewron said:

Upgraded my EHB1005 to an EHB1505MS. No regrets, this thing is a beast.

IMG_20220114_071900_096.thumb.jpg.b5526e15877fdc177657597106828771.jpg

I like the look and sound of that - if going modern then might as well go all in with active, multiscale, and headless!  

Have you found any unexpected negatives with headless? I'm guessing limited string choice is the big thing, and not being able to hang on the wall, anything else? 

41 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I like the look and sound of that - if going modern then might as well go all in with active, multiscale, and headless!  

Have you found any unexpected negatives with headless? I'm guessing limited string choice is the big thing, and not being able to hang on the wall, anything else? 

String choice is not an issue, I can put whatever strings I want on there. I can also hang it on the wall with no issues.

All in all, I don't see a single downside with going headless. It even fits in a guitar bag.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SumOne said:

You can use any strings, you just pass them through the hole and clamp them.

Do you mean hang like this?

hangbass.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1