Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

9 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Start looking at the pre-owned market, I'll bet they'd be cheap-as-chips pre-owned. There was a Talman at the local pawn for only $100 USD & with a nice case..

Couldn't find any and I looked. We don't have pawn shops with anything decent in them since eBay came out, and since leaving Europe our market has gone from 400million to 65million, and there are none around

I had one for a weekend, received it late on a Friday arvo & immediately noticed the Walnut laminate neck was super-flimsy.

Couldn't even tune down to D-Standard w/o it becoming nearly unplayable. So I drove the 100 miles to Guitar Center on Monday & returned it.

That was the last time I purchased a Standard, but ironically I found a GIO (GSR100EX) that had the stiffest "1 piece" neck I've experienced.

"1 piece", because it was a actually a neck with a noticeable joint in it between the 3rd & 5th frets. It's not uncommon, because I tried another GSR100EX neck & it had a joint at the exact same spot.

The 'Natural' is an SR600...

The Gio's necks are one piece, as opposed to laminate along the length... but with a scarf jointed headstock... (my GSR20 joins at about the 2nd fret)... rather than wasting a lot of wood... (environmental?) and obviously keeping costs down.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2021 at 21:21, PaulThePlug said:

a scarf jointed headstock... (my GSR20 joins at about the 2nd fret)... rather than wasting a lot of wood... (environmental?) and obviously keeping costs down.

Actually, it's not a feature typical to cheaper basses. It's intended to make for a stronger headstock joint, because the headstock is placed at an angle. If you'd have to make an angled headstock out of the same piece of wood, you'll indeed waste a LOT of wood but you'll also compromise the strength because the headstock no longer follows the direction of the grain. Manufacturers and luthiers often incorporate a volute in the neck to compensate for this weak spot.

You'll find scarf joints in much more expensive guitars and basses too. And on some guitars (especially cheaper acoustics) you may even find the scarf joint in the headstock section itself... 

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

You'll find scarf joints in much more expensive guitars and basses too. And on some guitars (especially cheaper acoustics) you may even find the scarf joint in the headstock section itself... 

Yep, my Rob Allen has a scarf joint and they are the antithesis of cheap.

Update:  A new (for me) SR506 arrived just a short while ago.  Neck is amazing.  I'd forgotten just how sleek the Ibanez 6 string beck is!  What a joy.
Please excuse the shoddy picture editing, but I wanted to get something up here :) 

506 next to my 1205

A pair of Ibanez basses.jpg

Edited by glassmoon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The first bass I ever played was an Ibanez Precision copy. I've no idea what model it was as this was about 30 years. We used to practise in the local YMCA. initially I was the vocalist, but due to "musical differences" with out bassist I took over bass duties. The bass weighed a ton and had quite a wide, heavily lacquered neck and was a sort of powder blue colour. Fond memories.

Hmmmmm....

What's next?

Seems like an EDC700 or better still, a 705 is in order to complete the Ergodyne set. The EDA's performance is tempting me to try and obtain another and have it de-fretted or have a new 'board made. I note with interest that the Afirma has a separate (stacked) Bass and Treble pot for the Magnetic Pickup. Perhaps that's a sensible alteration... But I think the piezo bass bass control should stay on the back.  It's safer there!