Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

5 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I still can't make my mind up whether to sell my 1305 Premium. "Right, I'm selling it", then I have a play with it and decide I love it too much.

That 1305 is a beast - they are stunners!!!

• Like 1

Okay, so since my last post I've been playing my present 30" bass a lot (a Squier Jag) and remembered why I went for short scale in the first place. So, no need for something in the sub-£500 category, but do Ibanez offer anything 30" at the pricier end of the spectrum?

10 minutes ago, joseb84 said:

Okay, so since my last post I've been playing my present 30" bass a lot (a Squier Jag) and remembered why I went for short scale in the first place. So, no need for something in the sub-£500 category, but do Ibanez offer anything 30" at the pricier end of the spectrum?

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/tmb30_1p_03.html

10 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Wow, they are stunning! Although I wish the emerald green was available on the 4 (not so much a fan of the sea foam or pink)

• Like 1

I have to dig it out from under the bed but I have an '80 Ibanez Studio 8-string.  (please don't call them ibbys you sound like those onanists that call Yamahas Yammys)  Anyone else?

Edit: onanist wasn't in my original post. Amazing what censorship can do for my vocabulary!

Edited by StickyDBRmf

2 hours ago, joseb84 said:

Wow, they are stunning! Although I wish the emerald green was available on the 4 (not so much a fan of the sea foam or pink)

Would love the pink in a 5!

But I would be happy with whatever colour. But then it has those pickups in which I know I wouldn't like, and then it all gets expensive again!

Edited by Woodinblack

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

it has those pickups in which I know I wouldn't like

FWIW, if someone has already decided to dump the BH2 pickups, I'd have no reason to 'rant about Bartolinis'.

Not sure why someone else thought I love the Zen Blades, because I think the Big Singles are The Best.

What's-his-name made the correct choice with Big Splits, but might have made a better choice to just get the EHB1505 to begin with 😀

Actually, I do have some big blades in  a box on the shelf, maybe they are the right size. Got them for something that I never did, but currently dont have any basses with wrong pickups!

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

FWIW, if someone has already decided to dump the BH2 pickups, I'd have no reason to 'rant about Bartolinis'.

Still keeping an eye out then :D

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Not sure why someone else thought I love the Zen Blades, because I think the Big Singles are The Best.

What's-his-name made the correct choice with Big Splits, but might have made a better choice to just get the EHB1505 to begin with 😀

.That was why I got the 1505 over the 1005 - less hassle all round, which is what worries me with the 1005sms

6 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I love the idea of going full Nordstrand but the 2020/2021 ibanez with them equipped are too expensive this side of the pond.

I think the SRMS805 is good middle ground, £850. Just going to stick Nordstands in my SR600.

Sidenote-anyone know the model number of the Custom barts in the SR5000? Maybe the US are close enough but just curious.

31 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

I love the idea of going full Nordstrand but the 2020/2021 ibanez with them equipped are too expensive this side of the pond.

Yes, they are a lot more expensive, although maybe justified.

I think the SRMS805 is good middle ground, £850. Just going to stick Nordstands in my SR600.

If the SRMS805 works for you then that is fine. I got rid of mine because it didnt work for me. Also the EHB is a very different bass to the SR - I have many more SRs than EHBs (even though I have recently got rid of a couple), I have the 1000/1605 and 5005 - two of which have barts, although US barts which are the same price as the nords. (actually looking at the below, slightly more).

Sidenote-anyone know the model number of the Custom barts in the SR5000? Maybe the US are close enough but just curious.

It will presumably in the BOM of the 5000 if you can dig that up on the japanese site.

There are 4 models of 5000, 1-4. Selecting the latest one, the parts list is:

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf/item.xsp?documentId=5C353C9377D4BAB449258386007A9A66&strItemKey=SR5000_OL_00_04&curSuffix=0004&curFromYMTX=2018/12&curToYMTX=&strMode=newpage

and the pickup leads to here:

https://www.guitar-lounge.at/Ibanez-Parts-Merch-Amps-Effects/ibanez-pickups/guitar-parts-pick-up-ibanez-en.html?language=en

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, they are a lot more expensive, although maybe justified.

If the SRMS805 works for you then that is fine. I got rid of mine because it didnt work for me. Also the EHB is a very different bass to the SR - I have many more SRs than EHBs (even though I have recently got rid of a couple), I have the 1000/1605 and 5005 - two of which have barts, although US barts which are the same price as the nords. (actually looking at the below, slightly more).

It will presumably in the BOM of the 5000 if you can dig that up on the japanese site.

There are 4 models of 5000, 1-4. Selecting the latest one, the parts list is:

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf/item.xsp?documentId=5C353C9377D4BAB449258386007A9A66&strItemKey=SR5000_OL_00_04&curSuffix=0004&curFromYMTX=2018/12&curToYMTX=&strMode=newpage

and the pickup leads to here:

https://www.guitar-lounge.at/Ibanez-Parts-Merch-Amps-Effects/ibanez-pickups/guitar-parts-pick-up-ibanez-en.html?language=en

Thanks for the info woodinblack. What did you dislike about the SRMS just out of curiousity?

I like the EHB multi scale (1005SMS?) but not sure about the BH2 pickups.

I love the Ibanez for their skinny necks and have a four string so 5er makes sense. Either the crazy poplar burl one (£999 at andertons, model number escapes me :)) or the SR2400 (not sure what the Aguilars sound like though).

12 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Yeah, maybe next year they'll come out with a EHB1505SMS with Nordstrands, depends on how sales go for the current offering.

Annoyingly I really prefer the EHB1005MS and EHB1005SMS for 'looks' as seafoam and grey (which I know the latter is US only) over the current colour/wood for the more premium 1505 but would like Nords.  That said I do have the EHB1506MS and like the dark finish and would happily have that with the nords on the 5ers.

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thanks for the info woodinblack. What did you dislike about the SRMS just out of curiousity?

I love the Ibanez for their skinny necks and have a four string so 5er makes sense. Either the crazy poplar burl one (£999 at andertons, model number escapes me :)) or the SR2400 (not sure what the Aguilars sound like though).

This SRMS one has got me interested in it purely from looks but not hte price:  https://www.ibanez.com/jp/news/detail/20201210161940.html

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Still keeping an eye out then :D

It's the only TB thread I look at & this is the first time since getting binned that I wanted to respond, first to the person commenting that I love Zen Blades, LOL!

Contrary to talking myself down earlier in this thread, I have been helpful over there in the past, otherwise no one would be wishing I was still around 😲

re: the extended reach discussion

On my 1500, the distance from the top of nut to the strap is 44 cm, & strangely enough the same distance on my Premium Soundgear is exactly the same.

So, maybe that farther reach is only a thing with the Multi-Scale models.

Here's some irony, on the GSR100EX (cheapest solid-body they sell) the reach was slightly less.

BH2 are fine if you are not a fan of the higher frequency output & clarity, like the Nordstrands have in spades.

L.E.L. has videos about BH2 & the Aguilars, & the 1505MS:

• Like 1

The pickups didn't do it for me. Although I am thinking of the earlier model, the SR805MS - maybe it is different. Also there was something unnaturally odd about the neck for an ibanez. Also the nut seemed 'hacked', like they had taken a normal SR neck and put the nut on at an angle and didn't know what to do with the space, it had sharp edges and just felt wrong.

The EHB solves all of those, it feels just like it was made that way.

The SR2600? I just sold a 2650. There was nothing wrong with it but with the 1605 and 5005 I had a bit too much of a monoculture, so I sold it to get an EHB, except I have no patience and it took a long time to sell so I have had the EHB for quite a while.

Note that the string spacing on the 2400/2405 is wrong - they obviously decided that some of those huged handed people who can handle jumping from string to string needed a proper bass, so they put P bass spacing on it - so if you like narrow necks, the 2400 is not your friend and unlike every other SR.

54 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

This SRMS one has got me interested in it purely from looks but not hte price:  https://www.ibanez.com/jp/news/detail/20201210161940.html

Agreed - it looks nice

Over here we have the SRMS800, the only 4-string multiscale from Ibanez:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/srms800_1p_03.html

I was kinda bummed that the EHB doesn't have a multiscale 4-string, been wanting to try multiscale for ages, but I don't want to go full ERB.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
added "don't"

So this is '80 Studio 8-string. First thing to go was the frets (claw hammer). Then top horn. Then holes drilled in body while recording (no longer available). Then the whole top part of the body fell off. I painted it black-looked like it had been in a fire. So I painted metallic blue. I am responsible for my actions.IMG_20210304_152221084.thumb.jpg.550811e31a623e432e7e74014c5c0ede.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guys, 

My Sr600 is dead. PCB dead, active preamp needs replacement. 

I can either go passive or go for new preamp.

Sr600 is 3 band with master and pickup blend. 

Always wanted to put big singles in bass but now preamp/labour could be very expensive.

Luthier is saying he can do glockenklang preamp and like the look of darkglass tone capsule. What other options do I have?

If it were mine I'd go 100% Passive:

Nordstrand Zen Blades

Neck pickup Volume

Bridge pickup Volume

series/single/parallel switch for neck pickup

series/single/parallel switch for bridge pickup

bass-cut (instead of treble-cut)

if you have another hole to fill, treble-cut (22 nanoFarad cap)

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling