Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

Or a 2 metal plates, shaped to fit the upper and lower faces of the (non) headstock, thereby stabilising it? 

Better still, do it with multiple veneer laminates each side. Well glued, they ought to reinforce the area and decrease the degree to which the woodscrews penetratw the neck timber.

Its a case of too much stress being applied to a small area with too many holes cut in it.

The "trauma" of a change of environment (in the case above, taking it home) seems to be enough to do for the woodwork.

13 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The roasted necks on the EHB10xx models seems to have a tendency to crack at the head, around the string anchors. This is the 3rd case I've seen:

>>another cracked EHB neck<<

Mine wasn't a roasted neck though, it is an EHB1505, and it had the same. I think it is a risk with the design, although 3 isn't a huge amount.

Still, my replacement has been great and I wouldn't want to be without it!

- I posted on that thread, possibly being my 3rd post on that forum!

Edited by Woodinblack

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

EHB1505, and it had the same.

Oh dear, up until now I thought our non-roasted necks were not suffering from the same splitting.

I took mine down from the Hercules earlier today & looked closely with my reading glasses on, no cracks.

However, now I am uber-concerned about temperature & humidity changes affecting it. Guess I will be holding on my my #2 (Premium Soundgear) for a while longer.

3 isn't a huge amount

Still, my replacement has been great and I wouldn't want to be without it!

If 3 have been reported in the forums, there are probably heaps of them out there that happened w/o being reported.

TBH I HAD been considering selling my other bass & having the EHB as The One, until I saw your photos.

I posted on that thread, possibly being my 3rd post on that forum!

I spent 5 years on there & started the thread, but my constant need to be right overpowered my sense of civility, therefore I can no longer comment on my own thread.

If you look back in that thread I went round & round with the East preamp users, because I find their take on how it improved the passive sound of the BH2 pickups to be incredulous.

Just this weekend I've read what I believe is the reason why, but will probably never get confirmation on what I suspect is happening with the East Pres.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling

13 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Oh dear, up until now I thought our non-roasted necks were not suffering from the same splitting.

seems not quite the same, seems to have split on the laminations.

but the replacement is fine, so I don't think it is something that is going to happen to it again, I do check from time to time, and there are quite a lot out there.

However, now I am uber-concerned about temperature & humidity changes affecting it. Guess I will be holding on my my #2 (Premium Soundgear) for a while longer.

I am not that worried. It has to be said I do have a few other basses, although I am down to my lowest Ibanez count in a long time!

Just this weekend I've read what I believe is the reason why, but will probably never get confirmation on what I suspect is happening with the East Pres.

It must admit to not knowing much about them, just have one in the Shuker.

My 1500 has survived Winter, which I would think would be the prime-time for it to split, if it were going to.

In the past I would always keep an instrument through Winter before making my final call on whether it was a keeper, because sometimes their necks go awry with the low humidity.

I had a Hadean u-bass that didn't make it, the glue started coming loose on the bridge, & this is with a humidifier running all the time.

Anyway, there was a bit of a battle between myself (change the pickups guy) & the East pre people (change the pre-amp people). At least the thread lives on w/o me & is still a source of info for many.

1 hour ago, Killed_by_Death said:

My 1500 has survived Winter, which I would think would be the prime-time for it to split, if it were going to.

I don't think it will split now. From mine and the ones I have seen, they have split just after purchase / manufacture, so maybe part of the drying out process, or manufacturing defect. So if it is going to break, it breaks pretty early, otherwise it is fine.

I do notice that the construction of my replacement neck is different to the original, or at least the woods are (and the new neck is older).

In the past I would always keep an instrument through Winter before making my final call on whether it was a keeper, because sometimes their necks go awry with the low humidity.

Never had that but it would still be a good plan for me to see if I got bored with them!

Anyway, there was a bit of a battle between myself (change the pickups guy) & the East pre people (change the pre-amp people). At least the thread lives on w/o me & is still a source of info for many.

Will have a read when I get the chance - I don't go there often.

Well, if you're going to look, search on NUAGE & D.A.R.K.'s posts, those are the 2 East pre advocates.

It started innocently enough:

them: A new preamp is your solution to the BH2 pickups in your EHB10xx model

me: change the pickups, you don't like the sound of the pickups

them: but the East pre improves the sound of the BH2 pickups

me: technical reasoning why that's not really true

them: but it does, I can hear it, even in passive setting

One even reasoned that the East components conduct Electricity better, so I was done at that point.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well, if you're going to look, search on NUAGE & D.A.R.K.'s posts, those are the 2 East pre advocates.

It started innocently enough:

them: A new preamp is your solution to the BH2 pickups in your EHB10xx model

me: change the pickups, you don't like the sound of the pickups

them: but the East pre improves the sound of the BH2 pickups

me: technical reasoning why that's not really true

them: but it does, I can hear it, even in passive setting

One even reasoned that the East components conduct Electricity better, so I was done at that point.

They obviously don't know what they're talking about. Everyone knows it's because the knobs are plastic. Change them to metal ones and it'll sound at least 27% better.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

They obviously don't know what they're talking about. Everyone knows it's because the knobs are plastic. Change them to metal ones and it'll sound at least 27% better.

I changed my knobs to metal ones, and it only sounded 15% better, and they were east knobs.

Mind you I have the nordstrand pickups which are better.

I have never been much of a fan of the BH type pickups on ibanezes, regardless of the preamp. In fact none of the licensed barts have worked for me (the actual original barts though are a different matter).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Damn, that fretless is a beaut!!!

Agreed!

This model was discontinued a couple of years ago (I guess budget 5-string fretless basses are too much of a niche), but I found a store in Germany that had a few in stock still. It's in the lower end of the price range, but Ibanez is really just incapable of making instruments that feel bad to play.

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Naigewron said:

This model was discontinued a couple of years ago, but I found a store in Germany that had a few in stock still. It's in the lower end of the price range, but Ibanez is really just incapable of making instruments that feel bad to play.

1. Just out of interest, did you get this prior or subsequent to the Brexit tax laws?
    Also, which shop in Germany?
  2. I am looking at the SR306EB (I sold my 6 and immediately miss having it) - what a stunner, and for that price!!!  A steal
  3. Ibanez make basses that just want to be played.  I've fiddled in store with the cheapest of the cheap and although they sounded weak, they played like dreams - bung in some decent electronics and you have a better than average instrument.

Just now, glassmoon said:
  1. Just out of interest, did you get this prior or subsequent to the Brexit tax laws?
    Also, which shop in Germany?
  2. I am looking at the SR306EB (I sold my 6 and immediately miss having it) - what a stunner, and for that price!!!  A steal
  3. Ibanez make basses that just want to be played.  I've fiddled in store with the cheapest of the cheap and although they sounded weak, they played like dreams - bung in some decent electronics and you have a better than average instrument.

1: I'm in Norway, so we've always been outside the EU tax laws :) I got it from https://www.musik-produktiv.com/

2: Yeah, the SR3XX series are amazing value instruments

3: Agreed. Even the GIO axes are fully giggable in their stock form.

Just now, Naigewron said:

1: I'm in Norway, so we've always been outside the EU tax laws :) I got it from https://www.musik-produktiv.com/

2: Yeah, the SR3XX series are amazing value instruments

3: Agreed. Even the GIO axes are fully giggable in their stock form.

1. Ah, lucky devil... for all the positives that Brexit potentially can/will/might bring about, musical instruments from the EU are not one of them 😭
  2. Too right... makes me almost (almost) not want a BTB again... nah!!! LOL
  3. The GIO is such a great bass for beginners and anyone on a budget.  Mate of mine bought one, then spent a little on EMG pickups and EQ and it sounded terrific and of course, played really smoothly!

YAY IBANEZ!!!

2 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Shiny shine twins lovely, I’m looking for a match fo my recently acquired NT SRF705. I found this to be seriously good value for money. Any pointers?

How about the SR505E?  A little less than your 705, but just as sexy.
Or the SR605E for a little bit extra?

15 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

How about the SR505E?  A little less than your 705, but just as sexy.
Or the SR605E for a little bit extra?

Either one would suit me, just have to move my Sandberg 35” Fiver, I regressed to 34”, I also have a 34” 6ixer NT I bought to complement the fretless, it’s not Ibanez but it sings, just a string too far for me. Thanks for your pointer muchly appreciated.

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldman said:

Either one would suit me, just have to move my Sandberg 35” Fiver, I regressed to 34”, I also have a 34” 6ixer NT I bought to complement the fretless, it’s not Ibanez but it sings, just a string too far for me. Thanks for your pointer muchlybappreciated.

My absolute pleasure @Oldman:  Good luck with your search mate

I really like the finish on the fretless 5. 

I still can't make my mind up whether to sell my 1305 Premium. "Right, I'm selling it", then I have a play with it and decide I love it too much.

Even if I'm not using it at the mo'

😊

Edited by 2pods