Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

1 minute ago, horrorshowbass said:

Dude, SR306 EB, £300 great bass (despite just selling mine on here :))

Solid mahogany body too - can't go wrong with that.  Looks a treat too!
Pray tell, what is the "Power Tap Switch"?  is that a coil tap or something completely different?

1 minute ago, glassmoon said:

Solid mahogany body too - can't go wrong with that.  Looks a treat too!
Pray tell, what is the "Power Tap Switch"?  is that a coil tap or something completely different?

A quick look at the Ibanez page (https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/sr306eb_02.html) and there it is - a coil tap similar (so it would appear on the surface) to the older ATK switch.... interesting.  and boy, what a price!!!

Bung some Barts, or Nords into that!!!  😎

6 hours ago, glassmoon said:

A quick look at the Ibanez page (https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/sr306eb_02.html) and there it is - a coil tap similar (so it would appear on the surface) to the older ATK switch.... interesting.  and boy, what a price!!!

Bung some Barts, or Nords into that!!!  😎

Yup. Powerspan are actually decent too

• Like 1

My two Ibanez basses. I had an SR300 a few years ago as well.

The SRH500 is lovely. It gets really close to an upright sound (especially if you put it through a piezo tone correction  pedal; e.g. Zoom AC 3, or TCE BodyRez). It’s light, ergonomic and I love the neck. In fact it’s so good I have been thinking of putting a precision pickup in it and only having one bass at gigs.

The Affirma is a bit more marmite. Also light and ergonomic but a bit on the bright side for my purposes. I am thinking of trying it with flats, or tape wound to see if that makes it rounder. The string spacing is a bit of a stretch for my short fingers but compensated by a shallow neck.

53242216-974E-4157-8761-B66AB87E78AE.jpeg

CAA86E6A-8FA8-4118-AB35-1A8AA87E162C.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Obrienp said:

My two Ibanez basses. I had an SR300 a few years ago as well.

The SRH500 is lovely. It gets really close to an upright sound (especially if you put it through a piezo tone correction  pedal; e.g. Zoom AC 3, or TCE BodyRez). It’s light, ergonomic and I love the neck. In fact it’s so good I have been thinking of putting a precision pickup in it and only having one bass at gigs.

The Affirma is a bit more marmite. Also light and ergonomic but a bit on the bright side for my purposes. I am thinking of trying it with flats, or tape wound to see if that makes it rounder. The string spacing is a bit of a stretch for my short fingers but compensated by a shallow neck.

53242216-974E-4157-8761-B66AB87E78AE.jpeg

CAA86E6A-8FA8-4118-AB35-1A8AA87E162C.jpeg

The Affirma is gorgeous!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horrorshowbass said:

Serious GAS!!! 

What are the Nordstrands like? I'm looking at getting a premium but not sure whether to go Aguilar or Nordstrand.

Can't comment on the bass itself, nor the Aguilars, but the Nords are super warm and rich. I've always been a bit of a Bartolini fan, but I have to admit to swinging towards Nords. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Can't comment on the bass itself, nor the Aguilars, but the Nords are super warm and rich. I've always been a bit of a Bartolini fan, but I have to admit to swinging towards Nords. 

I would always go for Nords if I had a choice in anything. I have some Aguilars and they are ok, but they are not Nords.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, plaaty said:

Hi 

can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these please

SR400EQM

SR500

SR600

thanks 

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/model/sr/

New Models? Ibby now list a new SR600, Old ones of which there were a couple of variants, mainly without Mid Freq Switch, 2 position Switch (like my 2010) then 3 Position Switch. like this https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr600_07.html : Ibanez do some lovely flamboyant finishes, and some lovely wood on the more expensive models - but i just love the plain natural... was the only finish available on these variants.

The 400 has a different neck, and Powerspan pickups and is basically a pretty SR300 - (QM Quilted Mapel top...)

The 500 and 600 has the longer tang neck made from different woods and different bridge.

The 500 gets Okoume body n plainish finish, with Bartolini pups

The 600 gets Ash in a fancier finish and swaps the Barts for Nords...

Neck profiles are all the same Ibby Skinny...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I would always go for Nords if I had a choice in anything. I have some Aguilars and they are ok, but they are not Nords.

Yeah mate commented nords were a bit clinical and thin but he said could have been bass he was playing. Thinking the Aggies would be too polite for me.

8 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

What are the Nordstrands like? I'm looking at getting a premium but not sure whether to go Aguilar or Nordstrand.

I also have a Premium Soundgear with Nordstrand Big Singles, the ones in the EHB are Big Splits (split-coil humbuckers).

The other day I was playing my SR1800E & noticing how 'raunchy' those Big Singles are with lots of Gain on my NuTube amp.

The Big Splits are quite close, but missing a little 'jangle' from the top-end, & not quite as 'raunchy', but you can use stainless strings on the EHB, because it has stainless frets.

That's my logic ATM, nickel-wound on the SR1800E (nickel-silver frets) & stainless round-wounds on the EHB (stainless frets).

If you don't want raunchy, get the Aguilars.

I believe I can get near a p-bass sound out of the EHB, by just blending to the neck & rolling back the treble-cut a little.

After-all, it is a split-coil pickup, similar to a p-style pickup:

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigSplitMan4__nocover

Here is my SR1800E:

IMG_20200915_180649796.thumb.jpg.b74c82374ec2dc90bd89011f739f06ce.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 07:28, glassmoon said:

what is the "Power Tap Switch"?  is that a coil tap or something completely different?

It's coil-splitting, but in a strange way to enhance the low-end response. I had a close look at the switch on my SR300E & there are Capacitors in there, the setting sounds like what G&L did with their OMG switch position, which used Capacitors:

l2000_asat_schem_old-jpg.3163304

top-left corner

both coils are still engaged, but with that Capacitive filter

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I also have a Premium Soundgear with Nordstrand Big Singles, the ones in the EHB are Big Splits (split-coil humbuckers).

The other day I was playing my SR1800E & noticing how 'raunchy' those Big Singles are with lots of Gain on my NuTube amp.

The Big Splits are quite close, but missing a little 'jangle' from the top-end, & not quite as 'raunchy', but you can use stainless strings on the EHB, because it has stainless frets.

That's my logic ATM, nickel-wound on the SR1800E (nickel-silver frets) & stainless round-wounds on the EHB (stainless frets).

If you don't want raunchy, get the Aguilars.

I believe I can get near a p-bass sound out of the EHB, by just blending to the neck & rolling back the treble-cut a little.

After-all, it is a split-coil pickup, similar to a p-style pickup:

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigSplitMan4__nocover

Here is my SR1800E:

IMG_20200915_180649796.thumb.jpg.b74c82374ec2dc90bd89011f739f06ce.jpg

Thanks man, useful info!!

On 22/01/2021 at 12:02, glassmoon said:

I am after - somewhere down the line - a 1993/4 SR1306 - the one with the slim IBZ J6 pickups (i.e. that can be fitted with Barts later)

Such a stunner!!!  I had the SR1306 that came after this - but with the wider ADX6 pickups - and it was incredible to play - well, as you'd expect.  But the 1306 (and the SR886 that had the same pickups) is just a stunner.  The Gallery (Camden) had one but when I found it, it was already marked as sold.

image.thumb.png.41d20a38423f6c2ef286cc38b99f25dc.png

I didn't know I wanted one of these until now. Love the thin pickup aesthetic here. 

9 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

IME thinner pickup actually sounds thinner, IRL

The coils on a Precision for instance, have a wider aperture & noticeably 'fatter sounding that J-bass pickups.

That's what I love about Nordstrand's Big Singles, they have a fatter aperture (soapbar), but still have that single-coil 'stank'

I had a 1995 Yamaha TRB6 with the "thin" pickups - which were in have split humbuckers - not in the least bit "thin sounding"... I replaced them with Bartolini G6's and the sound was incredible.... 

My idea for the old 1306 was to do something very similar, probably with Nordstrands.  Carey will do a custom pickup as per my sonic requirements.  Bung in an updated preamp and I'm away to the races.

But yes, to your point WRT "thin sounding" thin pickups, I concede there is a lot of truth in that :) 

19 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

There's a lovely Dragonburst SR5 for 999 in andertons at the minute.

Has wooden big single pickups to match the burl. Little bit offputting but looks aren't everything as above :)

What are the 5er necks like guys?

Ibanez SR5PBLTD-DEL 5-String Bass in Dragon Eye Burst Low Gloss

Oh that is nice, especially the pickups.

The 5er neck is like the neck that every other bass should be judged by.

But maybe I have biases

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh that is nice, especially the pickups.

The 5er neck is like the neck that every other bass should be judged by.

But maybe I have biases

I really want it and the 4 string in seafoam green is 1149!

Only thing putting me off is wooden pickups and 5er neck, I have a SR600 and love it.

SR5 is the front runner for sure.

Edited by horrorshowbass