Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

Not really NBD, as it's just the first time I've plugged it in,  but I've been playing it acoustically all week 😁

it's an SRH500F in lovely IKEA Brownburst 😉. I'm amazed at how like the sound I wanted it is. It's very 70's Danny Thompson with John Martyn. Change the EQ and it's Allan Thomson with JM.Great !

Very comfy, but with having the other two SRs I'm used to that neck,. Lovely round sound with plenty of Mwah. Black fret markers are a bit weird. If you can't see them, why put them on ? I'm using  the position markers on the neck shoulders. They're fine. 

I keep thinking maybe I should have got the SH700F, in case the piezo goes down, but that's just my OCD. I'm very happy. Depending on the situation in the NY (if I flog my desktop and Fender G5 or JTV 59 Variax) I may go for for the 700F. Meanwhile, I've always used roundwound strings, but these D'addario ECB81 are perfect for the bass. How long do they last ?

20201221_204520.jpg

20201221_204529.jpg

20201221_204537.jpg

20201221_204552.jpg

Edited by 2pods
  • Like 7

My brand new Ibanez SR306EB in Weathered Black finish that I just got in the door with the mail service today, my very first 6 string bass, as good as I could shoot it with my fairly old digital camera, and with the best I was able to edit it in PhotoShop, though it still looks better IRL :

Ibanez-SR306-EB-231220-666-small.jpg

You can read more about it here :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread as I was looking for an Ibanez NT 34” Fretted Fiver to match my newly acquired (Harry brand Spankers) Fretless. This is an NT of outstanding workmanship at a price point I couldn’t resist. I’m still looking for fretted 34” scale fiver if anyone has a spare NT if possible but not multi scale. 🤔

6F22830F-97BE-4742-ADA5-37351F25594D.thumb.jpeg.deaab9e554a5bfd1de5f19a715ebba8b.jpeg

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2

Nice Ibby 👍

After buying  my SFR500F, I wondered if I should have gone for your exact bass instead. Though I do like mine, I had read somewhere somebody's board was wearing down leaving the black (Plastic ?) fret markers feeling like frets, but that's far in the future hopefully. If I could sneak another bass in, I'd definitely go for the 4 string version of your bass 😎

Sorry, my brain has shut down for a moment. What's "NT" mean ?

Still debating whether to sell my fretted 5 string Premium. Don't know if you would be interested ?

I'm still thinking about it, so don't feel you have to commit

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Sorry, let me rephrase that....Tell me something about the 1980s RB835 that I haven't figured out for myself  please...🙄🙄

Ok to do that we're gonna need to know what you've figured out for yourself? 😁

Cool stuff! Those were the final evolutionary step between the Roadstar II series in its many shapes and the Soundgear series that was introduced in 1987 (with the final version of the Roadstar II being the RB800, which basically is a Soundgear with a different headstock). The RB835 is pretty rare, and it seems it wasn't available worldwide. Google searches of the model nearly all appear to lead towards Russian and South-American websites.

They're cool basses, but they have no real value as collector's items and they're a bit outdated unlike older, more Fender-like, models like the RB630 and RB650 that have become somewhat of a classic, and the beautiful RB924 and RB824. The one @TheGreek posted is currently on eBay for $349.99 in Japan, but IMO not worth it when you add in shipping costs and import duties. It looks good at first glance, but the back sides are badly worn. 

There's little logic in the naming of the Roadstar II Bass series. Models were updated regularly and sometimes changed dramatically while maintaining the same model name and number. The RB835 had some near-identical twins in the form of the RB850/851 and RB950, which in their last years of production had the same body shape but slightly different versions of the same pickups and different controls. Some models were Japan domestic market only, as Ibanez still does sometimes today. Some were only for specific other markets. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Thanks 1