Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

For my money the Ibby SRF705 is the best off-the-peg fretless out there.

Another vote for the SRF700 series fretlesses ( fretlii? fretlii.) Truly excellent bits of wood, have the 4 and the 5 in my stable, and even though I'm trying to trim the collection , I'd def pop the 6 in there if one ever became available, even though I'd probably never use it

On 04/12/2020 at 17:33, ezbass said:

Quality bass. I had a GWB35 and that was pretty damned good, so I always fancied a 'full fat' one, but other basses came calling (as they do). A photo of the buckle rash would be welcome, as you have piqued my interest.

It's bad...but for £600 for an original GWB1 in hardcase with perfect neck and electronics. I can take it.

PXL_20201205_211524812.jpg

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 19:09, bottomfeed said:

Probably my favourite bass.... It does it all......  

ATK at Blue Lagoon.jpg

Oh my word....that is a lovely, lovely bass! Looks great in natural finish without the pickguard. I'm all for Ibanez basses with chunkier necks 👍

• Thanks 1

Still got my 30th Anni SR4 and 1305 Premiums, but would like to add a fretless Ibby.

I was looking at the SR370EF cheapie and the SH500F, but can't make my mind up. I see they do a Bass Workshop with both mags and active EQ plus the Piezo Aero Silk system, but as well as being out of my price range, it has no fret lines 😢

So apart from the price, Is there plenty of mwah from them as they come, or is it the usual cut the nut until the strings are on the board ?

I'm into the usuals: Pino (circa Paul Young etc), Jaco, Mo Foster, John Giblin etc. So that's the kind of sound I'm looking (sans that lot's talent and feel of course 😊)

So pros and cons ?

The big singles are pretty well my favourite pickups, although the big splits sound almost the same (but without the single coil noise). Also the upmarket Barts are good, as fitted on the prestige. Haven't tried the Aguilars, although never really found an aguilar that I was that keen on.

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The big singles are pretty well my favourite pickups, although the big splits sound almost the same (but without the single coil noise). Also the upmarket Barts are good, as fitted on the prestige. Haven't tried the Aguilars, although never really found an aguilar that I was that keen on.

+1 ^^ for the Big Singles, huge fan of the Nordy pup growl! Although I do like the idea of noiseless Big Splits a lot if they sound almost the same.

Barts seem to get quite a marmite reaction - not a great deal of love for the budget Barts in the SR standards, but the posher stuff on the Prestige are well liked.

I get the feeling Bartolini diluted their brand by going budget, which is a shame, just like Sadowsky seem to be doing right now from a thread currently running! Sometimes chasing sales for its own sake can be fool's gold: there's a reason the Porsche 911 is still the world's most profitable car (not that I will ever own one!) - hmmm I'm going seriously off topic now, lol! 

Yeah go for Nordy Big Singles (or Splits) 😁

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Could it be that the Bartolini Mk1 are a 'Reverse P Split Coil' in a soap bar, as fitted to the likes of my SR600, are being compared with a Bartolini Humbucker soap bar?

Apples 'n Oranges

Not really, it's pickups with pickups regardless of the physical construction. I personally never understood why there was such a thing as a budget pickup, as it basically costs the same to wrap a load of wire around some plastic however you do it.

but anyway, digression aside, the MK1 barts are just a bit lifeless and uninspiring, regardless how they are made. But I suppose Ibanez need to make a distinction in their ranges, and it is an easy and cheap distinction to make, as the other stuff, titanium bars, multi laminate necks are harder to show

20 hours ago, 2pods said:

Still got my 30th Anni SR4 and 1305 Premiums, but would like to add a fretless Ibby.

I was looking at the SR370EF cheapie and the SH500F, but can't make my mind up. I see they do a Bass Workshop with both mags and active EQ plus the Piezo Aero Silk system, but as well as being out of my price range, it has no fret lines 😢

So apart from the price, Is there plenty of mwah from them as they come, or is it the usual cut the nut until the strings are on the board ?

I'm into the usuals: Pino (circa Paul Young etc), Jaco, Mo Foster, John Giblin etc. So that's the kind of sound I'm looking (sans that lot's talent and feel of course 😊)

So pros and cons ?

I'm biased but you can't go wrong with a GWB35, I've played a few of them since released (only selling as I got a GWB1) and happy to talk cost:

Not sure what your budget is but this is on Reverb and I have a fretted version I love and generally have a great sound:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/37448651-ibanez-srh505f-bass-workshop-semi-hollow-5-string-natural-brown-burst-flat

• Thanks 1

Still thinking it over.  I don't think I want a 5, as I'm hardly playing the 1305. 

Most of the You Tube stuff with the 370 is with the old model with the Barts Mk1's, rather than the newer Power Spans.

Thanks for your kind offer, but though they are undoubtedly great basses they're not for me.

I love the idea of having the choice of the piezo system and the magnetic pups and eq, it's just the lack of lines.

The last fretless I had was a Jimmy Moon de-fret of a 80's Aria TSB550. He did a great job (He was doing his own work on a lot of day to day stuff then) and installed a brass "Percussion Plate" at the top of the rosewood board, along with Sycamore strips. I think that cost me about £60 then. Dog knows how much it would cost to do my 1305 now, and where to get it done ?

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

May as well throw this in...

Ibanez ANB306. A beautiful beast in all capacities.

I really have a thing for the Signature Ibanez basses....I'd love all of the non-rock focused ones. Especially the ANB205 and TCB1006.