Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Fender Bass?

shine182

Some Precisions weigh in at 8lbs or less, Jazzes are generally more but I am sure there must be some lighter ones.

When it comes to specific lightweight basses, there is a Fender Precision Lyte, which is an active P/J with a very thin neck.  About 7lbs.  Doesn't quite sound like an 'old school' Precision or Jazz but is very nice.

There is also a rarer MB-4 which doesn't look like a Fender, passive P/J, sounds more like a Jazz, also with a skinny neck and around 7lbs.

I am still evangelistic about my newest squeeze - the Harley Benton PB Shorty.  Weighs around 7lbs, sounds exactly like a Precision bass but is short scale.  An impossible bargain at £80 new. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonse said:

Fender road worn, think there's one for sale on the marketplace plus there's some new models out soon. 

New road worns you say? I thought they'd been discontinued?

Edited by gjones

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

“Vintera Road Worn” - the guitars have been launched already

Yep, I did notice that there's no mention of nitro in the spec, so that may set them apart. For me, it was a plus point on the previous model. 

Like others have already suggested Fender Japan is a good option for lightweight P or J-basses as long as you don't mind basswood bodies. Personally I have no problems at all with basswood and my MIJ Traditional 60s Precision is one of my favorite P-basses. It's also the lightest P-bass I've ever played.

Two things to be aware of though:

1) Not all MIJ Fenders are basswood. The alder ones are probably no lighter than any other Fender alder bodies.

2) The pickups are often (but not always) the weak point with MIJ Fenders. But the general craftsmanship is usually as good as it gets with a Fender logo on the headstock. If you're prepared to replace the pickups you can get a REALLY good bass for a reasonable price. Current MIJs have much better QC/craftsmanship than current MIA Fenders in my experience.

Edited by S.F.Sorrow
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2020 at 20:32, wateroftyne said:

You just have to keep looking until you find one. Or, if you want to be a little more certain, spec a Maruszczyk Jake with a chambered body.

Mine weighs 7.2lbs, and balances perfectly.

I have two 5 string Maruszczyk Jakes (a PJ and P/MM). One weighs 7.2lbs, the other 7.3lbs. So to get a 4 string version should be even lighter.

On 14/08/2020 at 20:06, shine182 said:

Although I love playing my Musicman Sub it is somewhat of a weighty beast. Are there any lightweight Fender Jazz or Precision models out there? Thinking of putting together a new lightweight gig rig etc. Thanks 

Mentioning this just in case you or anyone else have back, neck or shoulder issues... quite a few light weight basses have a neck heaviness that is very uncomfortable for people with certain issues. I’ve had 7.5lb Fender Custom Shop Precisions & short scales that exacerbated pain issues. But a perfectly balanced 8lb Bass didn’t anywhere near as much. 

• Like 2

My Fender Sandblasted P weighs a lovely 7.9lbs. Its the perfect weight for me. I don’t mind heavier, and i have much heavier, but its the carrying them where i find heavier is more of a pain. 

Too light and i feel i didnt get my money‘ S worth, too heavy and it feels cheap lol. 

Also agree it needs a bit of weight to hang correctly most of the time. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Mentioning this just in case you or anyone else have back, neck or shoulder issues... quite a few light weight basses have a neck heaviness that is very uncomfortable for people with certain issues. I’ve had 7.5lb Fender Custom Shop Precisions & short scales that exacerbated pain issues. But a perfectly balanced 8lb Bass didn’t anywhere near as much. 

Tru dat. I sold my Epi Jack Casady for that reason. It was hollow and very light, and I have neck/shoulder injury, but all the weight was in the wrong place at the neck end, so the balance was horrendous. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Tru dat. I sold my Epi Jack Casady for that reason. It was hollow and very light, and I have neck/shoulder injury, but all the weight was in the wrong place at the neck end, so the balance was horrendous. 

Solid mine for more or less the same reason. The only bass ive owned that hurt me. Even worse sitting down though. 

• Like 1