Why become a member? ×

How do i wire this solderless pot up?

shoulderpet

Got a solderless pot for a bass I want to convert from 2 volumes 1 tone to 2 volumes , didn't come with any instructions, it has 5 connection points , I am assuming the 3 on 1 side take the place of the normal 3 lugs on the back of a pot and the 2 take the place of where you would solder the ground wire(s) to the back of the pot?  Help!!

IMG_20200813_134122500k_pot.jpg

Thanks for the reply  , I have tried to connect up the pot and at the moment I need to add some wire to the J pickup to make it reach but have connected up the pot anyhow so that once I have sorted this I can wire it up so at the moment I have just the P pickup conected,  but no output at all, nothing!!!! 

Anyone know what I have done wrong? Sorry for poor quality image, P pickup already connected to an exisiting pot that was workign with no issues previously, I wondered if the issue was the way the blue wires are extended(wires attached to them and secured with electrical tape) but I tried connecting the blue wires together to completely bypass the solderless pot and it gave me output so the issue must be with the way I have wired the 2nd pot 

Another thing I have noticed is that if the 2 connectors are the ground connectors there does not seem to be enough of them as the J pickup ground wire will need a connector, as will the output jack ground wire as will the wire that grounds to the bridge , can I use the same connection point for 2 grounds? help!!!! am so confused

thank you

IMG_20200813_151038_HDR.jpg

Edited by shoulderpet

Ok so I have fiddled about a bit and I now have sound , only thing is I have only 2 ground connectors and I need a ground for the output jack, a ground for the bridge pickup (once connected) and a ground for the ground wire that runs under the bridge , confused!!! help!!

IMG_20200813_160359_HDR.jpg

Pickup hot (signal) usually goes to the middle lug, output (and signal from other pickup)!goes to the one on the left of that (assuming the 3 lugs are at the bottom of the pot), ground(s) goes to the other one.

E433E338-4C22-4144-A7C1-E8D3BDEB92F6.thumb.jpeg.36518aee85a0abffd5610d4b03802f1f.jpeg

Edited by paul_5

21 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

There's no problem using more than one wire in the ground connectors. As long as their is a continious ground it makes no difference.

Standard wiring convention would be to run a ground between the pots. However the pots are screwed on a metal plate, so that will maintain the earth.

19 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Pickup hot (signal) usually goes to the middle lug, output (and signal from other pickup)!goes to the one on the left of that (assuming the 3 lugs are at the bottom of the pot), ground(s) goes to the other one.

E433E338-4C22-4144-A7C1-E8D3BDEB92F6.thumb.jpeg.36518aee85a0abffd5610d4b03802f1f.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, I am wiring with 2 volumes no tone control , I have seen diagrams were the ground wire that runs under the bridge is connected from the back of the tone pot (would be volume in my case) and diagrams were it is connected to the output jack, does it matter which one the bridge ground wire is attached to?

Nope, not at all, the pots are grounded to the output jack via the metal jack plate, so they are all a common ground.

Personally I’d wire to the output jack - reason being, if the jack works loose during a gig then it’s still connected and you’ll be able to get through it! 

Edited by paul_5

Thanks for the replies

One more possibly stupid question, many of the wires in the control panel are a little on the short side, in particular the wires from the output Jack to the volume, the bridge ground wire and the pickup wires for the bridge pickup.

I have some white cloth covered wire, can I replace/lengthen the above wires with this wire or does it have to be a particular type of wire?

I assume the colours on the original wiring are just there for ease of use and there is nothing unique about the wires used ? 

Thanks

On 13/08/2020 at 13:52, shoulderpet said:

Got a solderless pot for a bass I want to convert from 2 volumes 1 tone to 2 volumes , didn't come with any instructions,

I am getting it right that you currently have Volume, Volume, tone, and you want to covert to just volume, volume?

If so you don't need any other pots, just remove the tone pot and ensure that the wire that went from the volumes to the tone and jack still goes to the jack

9 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

You can use any wire, cloth covered is proabably good.  You have a solderless pot and are extending the wires - I'm assuming you'll solder the extensions - otherwise they will come loose - forgive me if I state the obvious!

Thanks, I now have a solderless output Jack so I will use new wires for that, with the pickup wires I will add some new wires to the existing and twist them together with the new wires and use electrical tape to secure the connections

33 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

I will add some new wires to the existing and twist them together with the new wires and use electrical tape to secure the connections

That is what I was thinking.  Those need to be soldered.  If they are just secured with tape they *will* come apart - probably at the most crucial moment.  Soldering wires isn't difficult and a soldering iron is pretty cheap.  Or maybe you have a friend with one - if you're near Finsbury Park London I'd help myself!

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

That is what I was thinking.  Those need to be soldered.  If they are just secured with tape they *will* come apart - probably at the most crucial moment.  Soldering wires isn't difficult and a soldering iron is pretty cheap.  Or maybe you have a friend with one - if you're near Finsbury Park London I'd help myself!

Thanks for the offer, sadly im not near there though for the price of a train ticket I may well consider it

I seem to have hit a bit of an odd speedbump , I have wired up the bridge pickup and experiencing some very odd pickup interactions , hoping someone can help

1) Both volumes all the way off - I have volume from the bridge pickup even though the volume is rolled off

2) Bridge rolled off P pickup volume turned up - Very bright tone that sounds suspiciously like a soloed bridge pickup, tapping the polepieces of both pickups with a screwdriver gives a sound but the sound from tapping the bridge pickup with a screwdriver sounds louder

both pickups on full sounds like I would expect it to sound, if I disconnect the bridge pickup the P pickup works absolutely fine,  im baffled, any ideas?

7 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Thanks for the offer, sadly im not near there though for the price of a train ticket I may well consider it

I seem to have hit a bit of an odd speedbump , I have wired up the bridge pickup and experiencing some very odd pickup interactions , hoping someone can help

1) Both volumes all the way off - I have volume from the bridge pickup even though the volume is rolled off

2) Bridge rolled off P pickup volume turned up - Very bright tone that sounds suspiciously like a soloed bridge pickup, tapping the polepieces of both pickups with a screwdriver gives a sound but the sound from tapping the bridge pickup with a screwdriver sounds louder

both pickups on full sounds like I would expect it to sound, if I disconnect the bridge pickup the P pickup works absolutely fine,  im baffled, any ideas?

Also worth stating I tried the wiring with just one pickup which was wired up to the solderless volume pot (disconnected the other volume pot) and it gave me a very bright tone on full volume and turned down it didnt cut the volume so much as act as if I had just turned down a tone control