Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

35 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’m not sure those old jap basses are significantly ahead of current US models though and go for a similar price. I think these days some buy them as an investment rather than seeking the holy grail. 

I'm sure some people do buy them as an investment, just like people buy old Fenders for the same reason.  Are any of them actually better than new US models?  All I can say is my '83 Squier Precision is my favourite P Bass that I've played, and I picked it up cheaply about 15 years ago. New Fenders don't excite me as much.

33 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Are they objectively "better" than a US Fender from that era - the better ones anecdotally are... are they better than current US fender? who knows - I've played some dogs from the US fender factory the last few years.

Early-Mid 80s Japanese Fenders are excellent, I consider my Performer as faultless.

The Original JVs were made to Fender specs and badged as such, but with a tiny Squier logo. This was later changed to a bigger Squier logo but the quality didn't change.

At the time Fender effectively shut down its Fullerton operation in a sort of 'year zero' reset. I think few people would deny that a large part of the reason for this is that their QC was heading for rock bottom.

Maybe I have been very unlucky with Fenders and very lucky with Squiers but I have handled many, many Precision basses and the best three were Squiers.  Two of them JVs, one a Fender logo one, the one I have kept (below) a bit later in '82.  The other one was a medium scale A series.  I have no agenda, no shares in Squier basses, no axe to grind with Fender - I just wanted to keep the ones I liked best.  And they were Squiers. 

I would say to anyone who reckons JV Squiers are ordinary, just pop round here and have a go on this gorgeous thing :) 

JV01.thumb.jpg.3c3a90ca590fb68deb2c695c1cf8a051.jpg

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Maybe I have been very unlucky with Fenders and very lucky with Squiers but I have handled many, many Precision basses and the best three were Squiers.  Two of them JVs, one a Fender logo one, the one I have kept (below) a bit later in '82. 

was that my old one? Sunburst '57ri? 

• 3 weeks later...

Basses that look out of proportion, for example where they have particularly fat necks (e.g. loads of instruments that have more than 5 strings; if you want 6 strings, get a guitar 🙂). Also, the Overwater Scott Devine J-Series just look wrong to me. I saw one in a pawn shop recently, and it just looked wrong; the neck and bridge are just too skinny. Then again, if you've got tiny hands and still want to play bass, good on you!

Scott Devine J series body full

Also precision basses; I just don't like how they look.

3 hours ago, jmccabe said:

Also, the Overwater Scott Devine J-Series just look wrong to me. I saw one in a pawn shop recently, and it just looked wrong; the neck and bridge are just too skinny. Then again, if you've got tiny hands and still want to play bass, good on you!

To be fait, he does play with gloves on ;)

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 12:44, jmccabe said:

Basses that look out of proportion, for example where they have particularly fat necks (e.g. loads of instruments that have more than 5 strings; if you want 6 strings, get a guitar 🙂). Also, the Overwater Scott Devine J-Series just look wrong to me. I saw one in a pawn shop recently, and it just looked wrong; the neck and bridge are just too skinny. Then again, if you've got tiny hands and still want to play bass, good on you!

Scott Devine J series body full

Also precision basses; I just don't like how they look.

Funny that, I have the same feelings about the two skinny pups on. a Jazz.  I do agree about mulyi stringed, wide necked monsters though.

Edited by Chienmortbb
dded to comment.

On 13/08/2020 at 05:34, T-Bay said:

Single cut, never seen one I like.

agree 100%. they are not ugly,they are fugly

relic jobs. If you want a bass to look like you've played it for 20 years,ummmm, PLAY it for 20 years.

Maybe put sandpaper on your forearms? (no cricket jokes,pulease :) )

3 hours ago, bazzbass said:

agree 100%. they are not ugly,they are fugly

relic jobs. If you want a bass to look like you've played it for 20 years,ummmm, PLAY it for 20 years.

Maybe put sandpaper on your forearms? (no cricket jokes,pulease :) )

You're on a sticky wicket with that one!

• Haha 2