Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

1 hour ago, Drax said:

wood where there should be metal

^^ indeed.

I do like and own some "coffee table" basses; but wooden knobs and pickups ...bit odd.  Like do they have wooden windings and pole pieces .....

Edited by NickA

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Reverb prices generally can be a bit bonkers

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve noticed lately a lot of fender jazz basses that are well overpriced from sellers in Japan on eBay 

Yeah you’re both right - having another look the worst examples in terms of price on EBay and Reverb tend to be shops in Japan. Obviously Japan is expensive anyway, but even taking that into account they’re asking for crazy money. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 09:14, prowla said:

Closely followed by 3/1...

Only right configuration for a 4 string bass is a 2+2 headstock.

The fact that 4 in line headstocks need such a thing as string retainers/trees ought to tell everyone that it is an obvious faulty design.

Leo Fender wasn't right, he is just one of countless testaments to how the superior design isn't is always automatically going to be the most popular one (which I guess again is a testament to how the business world works and the general mental capacity of the World's population).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The fact that 4 in line headstocks need such a thing as string retainers/trees ought to tell everyone that is is an obvious faulty design.

Leo Fender wasn't right, he is just one of countless testaments to how the superior design isn't is always automatically going to be the most popular one (which I guess again is a testament to how the business world works and the general mental capacity of the World's population).

Not faulty :) Design is form and function. How well it does the job, how it looks doing it. 

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The fact that 4 in line headstocks need such a thing as string retainers/trees ought to tell everyone that is is an obvious faulty design.

Rubbish. Only bridge end linear tuners work, you can tell that all other types of bass are permanently out of tune.

18 hours ago, prowla said:

Any Squier with a price tag over £100.

Does that include JVs? SQs? Silver Series? Vistas? Classic Vibes? Or are you just following the belief that if its says 'Squier' on the headstock, it must be crap?

Edited by Jono Bolton

On 12/11/2020 at 22:11, NickA said:

I do like and own some "coffee table" basses; but wooden knobs and pickups ...bit odd.  Like do they have wooden windings and pole pieces .....

No, but neither do pickups that have plastic covers have plastic pole pieces or windings!

I like wooden pickup covers, don't have any now, I did have.

On 12/11/2020 at 21:47, Reggaebass said:

I’ve noticed lately a lot of fender jazz basses that are well overpriced from sellers in Japan on eBay 

Word of caution there.

Japanese buyers went nuts in the 70's and bought up everything Fender.  Demand was huge and some enterprising Americans set up "chop shops" to fuel the demand, not all the basses shipped to Osaka were legit.

• Like 2

The Squier JV and SQ series are considered to be better instruments than the US made Fenders of the time, so it stands to reason that they will command a higher price. 

Saying no Squier should be over £100 is kind of like saying that old Tobias basses aren't worth a couple of thousand pounds because the new Toby series is cheap and naff.

39 minutes ago, Doddy said:

The Squier JV and SQ series are considered to be better instruments than the US made Fenders of the time, so it stands to reason that they will command a higher price. 

This is true but, let's be honest, that's not a very high bar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’m not sure those old jap basses are significantly ahead of current US models though and go for a similar price. I think these days some buy them as an investment rather than seeking the holy grail. 

so you would seek a mythical holy grail rather than a mythical investment. 

The first set of JV (with Fender logo and Squier series) were very good and also collectable as there's not many of them - they drive a high price because they were good and also cos of the collectible nature of them. 
As the price of them goes up there comes a market for "JV Squier" - where it serves any seller well to try and pretend that all JV Fender/Squier are created equal (they are not) or that they have US parts and hardware (they do not, at least for basses).... generally though Japanese Fender/Squier are pretty good but seem to have a very large asking price. 
Are they objectively "better" than a US Fender from that era - the better ones anecdotally are... are they better than current US fender? who knows - I've played some dogs from the US fender factory the last few years.