Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

5 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

One small thing that bugs me is when flatwound silks don't all line up (I'm not talking about when they're just millimetres off, I'm talking a centimetre or more)

But my main gripe is usually the colour of the instrument though, imo the only acceptable finishes are white, black,  a natural finish or sunburst (and its variants, mocha burst, tobacco burst etc). Primary-colour finishes on instruments are absolutely criminal. It's even worse when all the parts (IE: finish, headstock, fretboard, scratchplate) are all different/clashing shades, as seen on the abomination below.
mne6l8q6i4dzjjj9xpve.jpg

Lovely Lake Placid Blue bass. Would replace that tort guard with a mint green one though. Fender never managed to redo proper tort guards since the early 70's

1 hour ago, ukulelelab said:

Lovely Lake Placid Blue bass. Would replace that tort guard with a mint green one though. Fender never managed to redo proper tort guards since the early 70's

You know how people have their idea that they could make a mini business if they had the time - working out how to make really good cellulose tort would be mine. 

Just now, LukeFRC said:

You know how people have their idea that they could make a mini business if they had the time - working out how to make really good cellulose tort would be mine. 

Spitfire seems to have cornered that market.

What I’d do is figure out how to do it at a more reasonable price. 

But as spitfire seems to be a bit of a lone wolf...they command near vintage prices.

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Spitfire seems to have cornered that market.

What I’d do is figure out how to do it at a more reasonable price. 

But as spitfire seems to be a bit of a lone wolf...they command near vintage prices.

Exactly- if one person can do it it must be possible. I don’t think he’s cornered the market, in so much be the only person doing it

Edited by LukeFRC

16 hours ago, ukulelelab said:
22 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Curiously, £7 ones from China come disturbingly close:

Genuine:

1962-Fender-Precision-Bass-Sunburst-3_54

Fake (in real life it's darker and scarily close to the above):

Maya.thumb.jpg.744f9468bdd70568aa74d607b2016c0c.jpg

The one major thing that really puts me off is heavy weight. Things such as the pickups, the strings, and even the fretboard can be changed if necessary, but often the weight and the weight distribution is not that easy to change. I tend to prefer a lightweight bass, but it's shame that the weight is rarely mentioned.

Another thing that would put me off is side markers on fretless basses that are in the same place as that of a fretted.

Edited by TheLowDown

16 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

The one major thing that really puts me off is heavy weight. Things such as the pickups, the strings, and even the fretboard can be changed if necessary, but often the weight and the weight distribution is not that easy to change. I tend to prefer a lightweight bass, but it's shame that the weight is rarely mentioned.

Another thing that would put me off is side markers on fretless basses that are in the same place as that of a fretted.

I think it's great that we're all different, it's what makes bassists a fab varied bunch of people. 

I simply can't stand a light bass... I had a 75 jazz that was so light it felt like a toy! The heavier the better, I feel it give the notes weight and added thump (plus when you dig in, the bass is completely stable). But then again it's not surprising as I'm primarily a double bassist - my main orchestral bass is a HUGE 5/4 size German 5st that needs a forklift to move the bloody thing.... But what a sound! 😎😁

(totally agree with you about Fretless markers though...or any markers come to think of it!) 😂🤣😅

3 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I don't like Fender 5 strings because the 4+1 headstock looks all wrong to me.

Don't like tortoise shell scratchplates and don't like natural wood finishes either, especially with flambuoyant wood grains and fussy designs.

IMHO, the 5 in a row ones look even worse.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, prowla said:

IMHO, the 5 in a row ones look even worse.

I don't think 5 in a row looks that good on some (not on like a jazz headstock, fine on something more rock), but anything is better than 4/1, which looks like a homebrew where someone has just added one themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

I think it's great that we're all different, it's what makes bassists a fab varied bunch of people. 

I simply can't stand a light bass... I had a 75 jazz that was so light it felt like a toy! The heavier the better, I feel it give the notes weight and added thump (plus when you dig in, the bass is completely stable). But then again it's not surprising as I'm primarily a double bassist - my main orchestral bass is a HUGE 5/4 size German 5st that needs a forklift to move the bloody thing.... But what a sound! 😎😁

(totally agree with you about Fretless markers though...or any markers come to think of it!) 😂🤣😅

Yeah, I understand. Many people say that the weight of the bass gives it a feeling of quality and of being substantial. My back, however, doesn't care for such things.

• Like 1

I've been conditioned by Fender to think their's is the only correct headstock shape, but I've grown to accept that others are nice in their own right.

I really don't like Pau Ferro and Laurel fretboards; they're too pale and "grainy" in most cases. I prefer darker, closer-grained fretboards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

There's one on here I've looked at quite a few times and would probably have bought a while ago were it not priced about £200 more than the going rate.

For me it’s second hand basses priced similar to new. Bass direct sold a Ken Smith bass for £4999 last year (if bought at advertised price). The person who bought it put a large ding on the bottom and has advertised it for £4750! 

23 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

For me it’s second hand basses priced similar to new. Bass direct sold a Ken Smith bass that they sold for £4167 plus VAT last year (if bought at advertised price). The person who bought it put a large ding on the bottom and has advertised it for £4750! 

Corrected it for you :)

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't think 5 in a row looks that good on some (not on like a jazz headstock, fine on something more rock), but anything is better than 4/1, which looks like a homebrew where someone has just added one themselves.

Closely followed by 3/1...

5 hours ago, prowla said:

Closely followed by 3/1...

I like the 3/1 headstock. Everything is within reach for tuning whereas a straight 4 configuration becomes a bit of a stretch for tuning (and I'm a tad under 6ft). A straight 5 headstock would mean I'd have to take the bass off an rest it on the floor in all liklihood. Not sure how short people would manage.

Ok, I'm 6' 2", but notwithstanding that if I balance a p_bass on my right thigh I could easily reach all the tuners on an 8 or even 9-in-line headstock.

Standing up with a strap, I could easily reach a 7-in-line bass.

Even youngsters can reach all the pegs on a 4-a-side headstock.

How? Just angle the neck upwards slightly.

2 hours ago, Japhet said:

I like the 3/1 headstock. Everything is within reach for tuning whereas a straight 4 configuration becomes a bit of a stretch for tuning (and I'm a tad under 6ft).

Wow, you must have really short arms, I can tune a thunderbird and I am only 5'8"!

I just don't like 3/1 because it looks terrible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

For me it’s second hand basses priced similar to new. Bass direct sold a Ken Smith bass for £4999 last year (if bought at advertised price). The person who bought it put a large ding on the bottom and has advertised it for £4750! 

I’ve noticed this a lot recently too. In particular loads of EBay and Reverb sellers are asking ridiculous prices for secondhand Warwicks - which are notorious for depreciation. Funnily enough no-one appears to be biting. 

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I’ve noticed this a lot recently too. In particular loads of EBay and Reverb sellers are asking ridiculous prices for secondhand Warwicks - which are notorious for depreciation. Funnily enough no-one appears to be biting. 

Reverb prices generally can be a bit bonkers