Especially when added to “she”.

Guitars, basses, cars...

giving these items genders or names.

”she’s a beauty...”

🙁

“here’s my SWEET AXE, L@@k 🍌 SHE’s called LORESHA”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I worked with a guy once in a guitar shop...how he sold anything is beyond me.

”sounds like snowflakes falling on a frozen lake”

”now you’ve bought her, you need to name her”

stuff like that.

awful.

He was put on a disciplinary eventually after 4 months of missed targets, We’d found a folder on our workstation PC full of poetry he’d been writing while we’d been working...

”isn’t she beautiful?”

’it’s a second hand Mexican strat mate...’

I think he moved to another branch and quit in the end.

A lovely lovely bloke, just toe curling at times.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Guitars, basses, cars...

giving these items genders or names.

”she’s a beauty...”

🙁

“here’s my SWEET AXE, L@@k 🍌 SHE’s called LORESHA”

Agree....

However I actually did name my main Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass "Dud Bottomfeeder", and my Epiphone SG Special, main electric guitar, "Epicphoneya".

Those names are pretty tongue in cheek though, and I would never call them by gender. 

But I do perfectly understand, and am first hand familiar with, the concept of getting attached to an instrument on a level where they take on an actual personality.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Agree....

However I actually did name my main Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass "Dud Bottomfeeder", and my Epiphone SG Special "Epicphoneya".

But those names are a bit tongue in cheek, and I would never call them by gender, even if I genuinely do feel like they got an unique actual personality. 

It puts me off - I know some people really bond with their instruments.

Mine rarely stick around long enough 😂😂😂

On 21/10/2020 at 19:32, Maude said:

Similarly, "What's your best price?". If I'm selling a bass for £500, my best price is £500, or more if you want. 

this really annoys me. "I'm too lazy to actually make you a lower offer - but I want you to lower your asking price" :( 
I've no problem about lower offers, I can just say no, or make a counter offer - but "what's your best price" is just lazy and grrrr

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

this really annoys me. "I'm too lazy to actually make you a lower offer - but I want you to lower your asking price" :( 
I've no problem about lower offers, I can just say no, or make a counter offer - but "what's your best price" is just lazy and grrrr

Price is £1000

”will you take £500 and a packet of quavers”

Always my opening gambit.

21 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I just reply and ask them to make an offer. 

What annoys me more is when they ask for a discount because they have to travel to pick the item up. Sorry,  I’m happy to negotiate, but I’m not compensating for your travel fares. 

All of this is just part of negotiations, I don't understand why people take offence to it! If the seller refuses to engage in any kind of negotiation or worse, gets annoyed when someone wants to get the ball rolling on talks of a sale, then more fool them! Be polite and if you have a number you won't go below them thats absolutely fine. Some people play the game differently, some come in super low to test that water but will up their offer during 'the dance', others might give a number of reasons as to why the can only offer 'X'. Either way, its part of buying and selling! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Genderising is weird, you imagine people frotting these things...

You ever seen the guy with his Range Rover which seems to float around the internet?

I can’t share...

My basses have names

”the red Spector”

”the blue sadowsky”

”that orange Yamaha everyone wants to buy...”

“The fretted jazz, the fretless jazz”

😂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

All of this is just part of negotiations, I don't understand why people take offence to it! If the seller refuses to engage in any kind of negotiation or worse, gets annoyed when someone wants to get the ball rolling on talks of a sale, then more fool them! Be polite and if you have a number you won't go below them thats absolutely fine. Some people play the game differently, some come in super low to test that water but will up their offer during 'the dance', others might give a number of reasons as to why the can only offer 'X'. Either way, its part of buying and selling! 

I have no problem with negotiating- I think it’s to be expected and even encouraged. But I’ve already stuck a price on it - come at me with your thoughts in response to that then! 
“best price mate” isn’t even normally an offer to buy, it’s the ‘I’m ignoring your price and want a cheaper one’ before I’ll even offer you anything.

If I’ve got a bass advertised for £1000 - ild rather be low balled - at least if someone comes and offers me £500 it’s either “that’s all they have” - which is fair, or they disagree with my valuation - also fair. 
In my experience “What’s your lowest price mate” is often followed by a offer lower than that anyway

• Like 1

If it’s a reasonable price initially and I’m happy with it I’ll just say I’ll take it, I don’t tend to haggle, but if i think it’s overpriced I normally ask politely if that’s their best price, if they come down great , if they don’t then it’s up to me if I want to pay it 🙂

• Like 1

I've always thought that asking if offers would be considered was a reasonable way to approach the possibility of striking a deal. If the answer is no, fair enough, if yes then I try to make any offer reasonable. Asking "what's your best price" has always seemed a pretty dumb question to me. My"best price" would be a price higher than the one I asked for the item.....😉

People who make stupidly low offers really put me off, but I'm realistic enough to expect the odd try on, I just give them a polite but firm counter offer as my absolute lowest price. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 16:26, Greg Edwards69 said:

I must admit, it irks me somewhat when people bash companies like Behringer for ripping off other companies designs, then it transpires that they play a Fender shaped bass that isn't made by Fender.

And who buy boutique effect pedals that are also clones of pedals originally invented and produced by someone else. 

But I guess it's not morally depraved to copy other peoples work as long as you ask more for it than the price of the originals, seemingly in fact quite on the contrary, since apparently not only being a thief but also ripping people off with your handler goods deserves praise.

Shame on you though if you sell your copies too cheap.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3