Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

On 26/09/2020 at 18:33, Oxnard Montalvo said:

I just thought of something else: logos on the body - I can (kind of) understand it on headless basses (still don't like it) but those 4 dots were the deciding factor that put me off a Sandberg. I was *this* close.

Ok on a big scratch plate ? 

IMG_0289.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 12:05, Quilly said:

An “I’ve a small willy” bass 

AEE4BB31-C774-440A-AC33-CF853B1EC3BC.jpeg

:shok:  O.o  :o

Not enough controls!  :crazy:

That's a bit too much, not to say way, way too much, even for me who otherwise visually quite like basses with a lot of knobs and switches, even though my current main P/J bass only got two dummy knobs, as the J pickup has been disconnected and the P pickup is wired directly to the output jack socket.

For me it's either completely minimal, 1 knob, or over the top, think 60's/70's sci-fi spaceship control board, amount of knobs and switches, ideally in all sort of different shapes and colors. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

The best controls on that Alembic were "lead guitar volume" and the "mute vocalist" switch.

John McVie's ebony one was nearly as complex as that photoshop jobby and can't think what all the controls did:

https://reverb.com/au/item/6414168-alembic-series-graphite-john-mcvie-actual-bass

Had a trace elliot GP12SMX amp once ... so many knobs and sliders I spent hardly any time playing rather than tweaking!

I've made a few comments about over-ornateness of many Alembics, but I think to be fair I should be more specific as there's really only one feature that puts me right off, and ironically here's a peach of an example:

image.png.793b154c54283746e617592838894b7b.png

I really don't want a dual function bass/pickle fork.

12 hours ago, NickA said:

The best controls on that Alembic were "lead guitar volume" and the "mute vocalist" switch.

John McVie's ebony one was nearly as complex as that photoshop jobby and can't think what all the controls did:

https://reverb.com/au/item/6414168-alembic-series-graphite-john-mcvie-actual-bass

Had a trace elliot GP12SMX amp once ... so many knobs and sliders I spent hardly any time playing rather than tweaking!

I think John must have been very high when he ordered that bass.  

50 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Any bass for sale, advertised as previously owned by a well known bassist.

If it's no longer good enough for them, why should it be good enough for me?

If somebody told me your bass was played on the Rumours album, Id be well impressed.

Edited by Quilly

• 2 weeks later...

Two bits of wood that don't match up for a body. WHY the heck do they do that? Just looks like they ran out of wood and joined two bits together to get it out the door. Show me a lovely wood grain under a shiny laquer and that always warms my heart. 

And don't get me started on a perfectly nice paint job and then it gets hit with things and dragged down a set of concrete steps to 'relic' it.....

The first thing I do with a pre-loved bass is clean it up and find a nail varnish close enough to the colour and make it look nice again. You wouldn't buy a used car covered in scratches and dings for feck's sake...