Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

No to a Fender Roscoe Beck signature then?

Or a Stu Hamm Urge?

Have to say that I did own the USA Custom Shop version of the Reggie Hamilton signature - in Olympic White - which was an amazing bass, but very much a Jazz/Precision hybrid as opposed to a departure from both

For me it has to be Pau Ferro boards. It's the feel of them, too porous. If it's got one on then it's a no go for me. I also don't really dig Rosewood that's too light. I like it to look dark, almost ebony but that's a dislike not a deal breaker. Deal breaker is 100% Pau Ferro. 

Not a huge fan of the black binding on a maple board or black block inlays on it either, though I am considering a bass with that at the moment. 

Headstock shapes do put me off and that extends to guitars as well. 

Lastly and I can't stress this enough, a Khaler trem on a bass. 

On 30/08/2020 at 23:21, Maude said:

It's all moot though as I don't really like fancy multi-wood basses. 

The other thing I don't like is Alembics, they look like they fell out a Christmas cracker. All childlike shapes and chintzy gold toot screwed all over the place. 

I wish mine had fallen out of a Christmas cracker, would have saved me a few quid. 😂
🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 29/08/2020 at 16:17, Quilly said:

My eyes...my beautiful eyes, how do I unsee this monstrosity 

E6DC98FD-2CFC-4AAD-9D98-CF71018A5999.jpeg

404E6577-275B-4B81-8B71-343E8560A821.jpeg

I'm not a fan of single cut basses to be honest but this one Stradii Symphony is the exception. I doubt if I would buy one but to my sense of aesthetics it looks the most elegant of the single cut basses I have seen.

1-6.jpg

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, PlasmaZombies said:

Agreed. Or worse still.. "Mint condition, not a scratch on it", then proceeds to put up photographs of the bass planted on gravel / concrete whilst precariously leaning against a brick wall. 🙄

My dad came up with a good trick for this a few years ago, using a small piece of anti-static mat cut into two strips. One strip would sit below the bass, the other would sit behind the headstock. It did give the disconcerting effect of making the basses look like they were propped against the wall. My old ACG Harlot was photographed like that and was sold on looking like a new instrument. 

• Like 1

I'm really not a fan of 'over the top' everything. Y'know, exotic woods, acres of shiny lacquer and blingy hardware. I'm thinking Ken Smiths or Alembics f'rinstance, though they're certainly not the only makers that go too far. For me, that sort of thing is an immediate turn off. 

On 01/09/2020 at 20:54, BreadBin said:

I don't like seeing them on people's lawns.

Put a piece of plastic down on grass and see how much condensation you get on the underside...

On 04/09/2020 at 07:16, PlasmaZombies said:

Agreed. Or worse still.. "Mint condition, not a scratch on it", then proceeds to put up photographs of the bass planted on gravel / concrete whilst precariously leaning against a brick wall. 🙄

You'll hate this photo then:

Born-To-Rock-F4-B-Water.jpg

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

You'll hate this photo then:

Born-To-Rock-F4-B-Water.jpg

Sorry to be boring but...

Clearly someone putting huge thought and effort into making a 'different'' bass.

But they choose a naff bridge height adjustment that can only be done in half-steps of a relatively coarse (looks like M5 or even M6) thread.

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sorry to be boring but...

Clearly someone putting huge thought and effort into making a 'different'' bass.

But they choose a naff bridge height adjustment that can only be done in half-steps of a relatively coarse (looks like M5 or even M6) thread.

I have agree with you. The guitar version sports a standard tune-o-matic bridge, and I have no idea why the bass version didn't do the same. There are several aspects to the design that show the builder's strengths lie in engineering and not traditional lutherie.

However the Born To Rock instruments are radical in more than just looks. The design does away completely with the need for a truss rod since the string pull is countered by the arm above the neck and does not act on the neck itself. That does mean that if a string breaks the whole instrument goes really badly out of tune. Overall it was a great playing and sounding bass and I'd still have it if it was a 5-string.

BTW just to reassure everyone the bass isn't actually sitting in the water, but supported on 3 small posts raising it a couple of millimetres above the surface. The "trails" the flow of the water made around these were removed in Photoshop to make it look as though it was floating.

Edited by BigRedX

This never-ending list of things that put us off is starting to put me off playing bass 😉

@stewblack - as you started it all, I think it would only be fair for you to start a new topic now - What makes us happy or even delights us 😍 C'mon, we need some good news in these dark times 🤩 

• Thanks 1

Clear/wood/unpainted finishes, call them what you want, I don't like them...but I have bought them, and currently one is a keeper. 

I shouldn't like this bass at all. I like painted finishes, rosewood fingerboards...but it is really nice to play. :D 

IMG_0042.thumb.jpeg.c0bf5024bf582e4232222ef0aeacfc42.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

This never-ending list of things that put us off is starting to put me off playing bass 😉

@stewblack - as you started it all, I think it would only be fair for you to start a new topic now - What makes us happy or even delights us 😍 C'mon, we need some good news in these dark times 🤩 

Done

• Thanks 1