Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

3 minutes ago, Drax said:

Can’t stand seeing basses for sale photographed on a bed, especially at night under a 60watt bulb. Really depressing Reader’s wives* vibe 

* / guy’s 

I don't like seeing them on people's lawns.

Put a piece of plastic down on grass and see how much condensation you get on the underside...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

People referring to an instrument as "she".

Also, the image of having to wipe my hands if it "plays like butter".

What does that even mean anyway? How can you play butter? And if you tried, you'd be a greasy mess! And what about vegans??? Can they play your greasy, melting, calorific bass?? If anything a bass could be described as playing like cheese, but butter? That just makes no sense! 

If your bass plays like overchurned cow squeezings, you probably have a duff instrument! 

• Haha 1

I had a Pedulla Pentabuzz with a fretless unlined unfinished ebony neck in "Champange Pink". It was actually kinda purple. And it was sexy. Girls thought it was sexy. And it was fun carrying it around by the horn. I hated the electronics (P/J active Bartolinis). I have a Danelectro Longhorn. They don't snap off. To each his own. To me Yamaha BB's are ugly,ugly,ugly. If you gave me one I would trade it for a cheeseburger (and fries). 

On 01/09/2020 at 20:54, BreadBin said:

I don't like seeing them on people's lawns.

Put a piece of plastic down on grass and see how much condensation you get on the underside...

Agreed. Or worse still.. "Mint condition, not a scratch on it", then proceeds to put up photographs of the bass planted on gravel / concrete whilst precariously leaning against a brick wall. 🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Basses relic'd to look like someone else's bass.

The second you put a tiny knock in it, or the player who it's modelled after puts a ding in their bass, the whole thing becomes pointless. 

Or you can treat it with kid gloves so it acquires no further dings. You must, of course, make contact with the owner of the original to ensure that they do likewise.

Not pointless at all! 😉

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

People (be they drummers, other bassists or other musicians, or anyone else actually) thinking they know what instrument I should play better than me.

Instruments are quite personal things, an extension of you, through which you express yourself - to have some random drummer or someone else say 'you should play an xyz bass' is a bit much. If a band says oh you need to buy an xyz bass, I would most certainly say - fine but:-

1) it might sound worse than the one I use

2) Hand the money over then!!! Why should I pay for it.

As for producers wanting an authentic 1960 sound, well let's hope they're going to use a 2 track and spend ages bouncing tracks 'to get it authentic' 😂😂

Back in the 70s most bass players (even famous ones) generally had one (maybe two if you were famous). The idea of having an array of them only happened in the highest of musical circles (eg major US studios). Now, it seems, every Tom, Richard and Harry seems to feel empowered to have a view even at the most inappropriate moments and based on something they read some famous personage said in a magazine in 1997 etc etc - and an expectation that people have limitless pockets to buy whatever instruments to fuel other people's desire to get them 'looking right (in their view)'. I don't recall ever suggesting a 'make and type' of instrument to anyone - and can't imagine anyone other than a major producer etc would. 

Ive spent a lot of time and effort learning to play and sound the way I do - if I collaborate with people id generally want to be doing so because they want my sound and musicianship - that's generally going to come out of one of the basses I already own.

There you go - rant over - is it a product of the Internet age or the ludicrous level of consumerism we're encouraged to have these days (translated to GAS). For instance - It seems if every member of the population isn't buying at least three takeaway coffees a week and one takeaway meal, we're guilt tripped into thinking we're screwing the economy up - incredible!! 😩

Edited by drTStingray

3 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

People (be they drummers, other bassists or other musicians, or anyone else actually) thinking they know what instrument I should play better than me.

Instruments are quite personal things, an extension of you, through which you express yourself - to have some random drummer or someone else say 'you should play an xyz bass' is a bit much. If a band says oh you need to buy an xyz bass, I would most certainly say - fine but:-

1) it might sound worse than the one I use

2) Hand the money over then!!! Why should I pay for it.

As for producers wanting an authentic 1960 sound, well let's hope they're going to use a 2 track and spend ages bouncing tracks 'to get it authentic' 😂😂

Back in the 70s most bass players (even famous ones) generally had one (maybe two if you were famous). The idea of having an array of them only happened in the highest of musical circles (eg major US studios). Now, it seems, every Tom, Richard and Harry seems to feel empowered to have a view even at the most inappropriate moments and based on something they read some famous personage said in a magazine in 1997 etc etc - and an expectation that people have limitless pockets to buy whatever instruments to fuel other people's desire to get them 'looking right (in their view)'. I don't recall ever suggesting a 'make and type' of instrument to anyone - and can't imagine anyone other than a major producer etc would. 

Ive spent a lot of time and effort learning to play and sound the way I do - if I collaborate with people id generally want to be doing so because they want my sound and musicianship - that's generally going to come out of one of the basses I already own.

There you go - rant over - is it a product of the Internet age or the ludicrous level of consumerism we're encouraged to have these days (translated to GAS). For instance - It seems if every member of the population isn't buying at least three takeaway coffees a week and one takeaway meal, we're guilt tripped into thinking we're screwing the economy up - incredible!! 😩

Honestly though, I know the perfect bass for you...

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Basses relic'd to look like someone else's bass.

The second you put a tiny knock in it, or the player who it's modelled after puts a ding in their bass, the whole thing becomes pointless. 

Tribute versions in general - why would I want something with someone else's name on it?

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Pretty much every bass ever made by Fender except the Jazz Bass and Precision Bass

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Tribute versions in general - why would I want something with someone else's name on it?

No to a Fender Roscoe Beck signature then?

Or a Stu Hamm Urge?

Yes please to either or both for me.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I must admit, it irks me somewhat when people bash companies like Behringer for ripping off other companies designs, then it transpires that they play a Fender shaped bass that isn't made by Fender.