Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

@Maude, you sure do have some strong (and wrong!) opinions! 😂

I jest, of course! All very much each to their own with all these things. 

The ergonomic carve, if done properly, is deeper than a top wood would cover. It would need to be an extremely thick piece of top wood for that to work, then the side profile would look odd as the top wood would be super thin over the cutout and ultra thick over the rest of the body. 

That design is a bit of a compromise to ergonomics, for me I like the contrast, but even if I didn't, having played my custom ACG with a deep ergonomic cutout, the function far outweighs the aesthetics. 

But, it's all very personal! No rights or wrongs etc.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

I totally get the issues and compromises involved in carving a contour on a bass with a contrasting wood top. Still don't like it though. 😁

As there's no sensible way to avoid that look I just wouldn't have a contrasting wood top. 

But that's just me, hell I've got sunburst, tort, black blocks on maple, more knobs than strings, lipstick pickups, fender body shapes, f holes, red basses, rosewood on white basses, Rickenbackers, cold colours, a Longhorn, the list goes on so what do I know 😂😂😂

53 minutes ago, Maude said:

I might do a bass with a tort body and sunburst scratchplate, that'll really mess with people. 😁

Yes! But could you please make sure the tort is that really really unrealistic bright red swirly tort, (sorry to all those who love bright red swirly tort) maybe the burst could be the type with overly yellow/orange center too?

• Haha 1

On 13/08/2020 at 17:06, Paulhauser said:

Rickenbacker aesthetics....

On 13/08/2020 at 17:08, Quilly said:

I really dislike the upper curve on those 4003 basses . Too much useless chrome . 

I have to say that I could walk into a room of basses and head straight to the Rickenbackers, even though I have several already.

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The ultimate 'wrong' is a Fender Acoustosonic. They give 'fugly' a bad name...

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. 

But I've paid my penance for disliking some popular basses by liking, and buying, some god awful shite. 😁

Having recently been looking at basses in the last few weeks, I will now add PJ style basses to my what puts me off list. To me, and I have never played one, they are neither P or J and are therefore wrong.

If someone gave me a singlecut PJ with wooden knobs it would only be used once on 5th November. 

23 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The ultimate 'wrong' is a Fender Acoustosonic. They give 'fugly' a bad name...

Nah if they made a bass version I'd have it

17 hours ago, Richard R said:

Fender Acoustosonic: shuffled off to google this. Its, err, interesting. I have never seen a guitar with a plughole before, it looks like water should drain into it.

Right, can't unsee this now.

I don't want one anymore. 

• Haha 3

From a totally pliability perspective I really hate when the put 34" necks on an acoustic body with a traditional sound hole. I had a Fender CBE-100 and it was just way too long (and I a have long monkey arms!) My latest acoustic bass is still 34" and uses f holes, they positioned the bridge a good 3-4" back  into the body and it makes a HUGE difference.  

On 31/08/2020 at 18:15, Bobthedog said:

Having recently been looking at basses in the last few weeks, I will now add PJ style basses to my what puts me off list. To me, and I have never played one, they are neither P or J and are therefore wrong.

PJ basses are sometimes called "best of both world" basses. Well, in my view, they are not the best of both worlds but the best of the P bass world. Assuming the P pickup is in the sweet spot, you get a P bass AND some additional J bass honk/burp if want it. That definitely gives you some more versatility. Cool with that. However, the PJ bass will never give you a true J bass as it lacks the other J bass single coil pickup for that. Maybe the best of both worlds bass is really this one. Discuss! 😎

fender-stu-hamm-urge-ii-bass-red-sparkle-metallic-251846.thumb.jpg.ee83b1a388259a5a9f8a7edc77788f81.jpg