Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Matching headstocks on maple boarded basses. Pretty much the only thing I can’t deal with.

edit - and spiky basses.

There are quite a lot of things which put me off actually, but all silly little things and nothing definitive.

The Sandberg headstock always looks wrong to me, “stealth” satin black finishes which only look good for 10 minutes before the bass  looks like a greasy chip bag and silly things like mismatched headstock design vs body shape.

Anyhow, variety is the spice of life etc.

the New Sandberg headstock is pretty slick, I've an old Sandberg and it does look like it could double as a shovel.

3 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Many Many Many moons ago I just couldnt 'get' the 3+1 MM headstock. Its so ubiquitous now it doesn't seem unusual at all. I bet if some manufacturer were to to bring it out now people would think it's horrible.   

I like the compact look of 3 over 1, but MM's (and Fender's) 4 over 1 is ridiculous! 3 over 2, or 2 over 3 seems much neater.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

Just now, ezbass said:

I like the compact look of 3 over 1, but MM's 4 over 1 is ridiculous! 3 over 2, or 2 over 3 seems much neater.

What's worse is the Fender 5 string, where the G string is on the sloping bit of the Fender headstock, It looks like it was just shoved on as an afterthought.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wattle said:

It's funny to see some people not liking blank fretboards. For me the standard dot inlays are really grating. It's not a complete deal breaker but very nearly. 

I don't mind if they're offset, but blank boards are my preference by far.

Should anyone else need a nudge on blank boards, they feck guitarists right off!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The headstock shape

1 tuner being strung differently from the others (That alone is enough to give me eye cancer).

That same tuner being stuck on the side like an after thought rather than redesigning the shape for the 5 string version.

Dodgy string angles.

Surely that Fodera B string tuner would also require you to adjust it in the reverse direction of the other tuners on that side too? I can see that inducing a proper brain freeze, rabbit in headlights moment when tuning mid gig 😲

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I like the compact look of 3 over 1, but MM's (and Fender's) 4 over 1 is ridiculous! 3 over 2, or 2 over 3 seems much neater.

2 each side... one on the end (two on the end for a six, but then thats a guitar not a bass) straight down the middle... so they all line up with a straight string run over the nut...

I'm an engineer so i am right... who said you need five strings anyhows? ya only got 4 fingers, if ya got more, p!ay the Banjo... and the thumb is to stop ya hand falling of the end of the neck in the dark...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Danelectro Longhorn basses. Sorry if anyone owns one but they look horrid to me, the 'horns' look like they could snap off if you looked at them too hard,. I'm not convinced by those lipstick pickups either, they look like something that fell out of a lucky bag.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I hate the look of any P/J 🤮

8 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Sorry Not a fan of those Fender Marcus Miller basses either....too much going on, the mods look very home made.

Looks like I’m shite out of luck today...going to cry in a corner 😂

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Danelectro Longhorn basses. Sorry if anyone owns one but they look horrid to me, the 'horns' look like they could snap off if you looked at them too hard,. I'm not convinced by those lipstick pickups either, they look like something that fell out of a lucky bag.  

Hallelujah! I thought it was just me!! 🙏 😄

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Looks like I’m shite out of luck today...going to cry in a corner 😂

I also hate the look of a double P, but strangely I do want one of them, to see what it sounds like... :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 2

In fact, after mentioning the telecaster style headstock, the original P bass pick-guard. What the hell is going on with that. In fact, extend that to the 50s P bass. The later P bass is not so bad once they got rid of all the metal and put a slightly better headstock on it.

7 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

Pedulla Buzz. They sound awesome, but they look like a melting lollipop. The top horn shape actually makes me a bit angry... 

Agree completely. 🤮

My own pet hates are ‘Buzzard’ basses -

68E0B1FB-FC99-43CE-B990-971E0C2D8656.thumb.jpeg.221904ead07ae3752460d7e782fdf37c.jpeg

and basses with more knobs than strings; if you exceed this number then you’re an audio engineer first and bass player second.

seriously, get stacked knobs and do it tastefully!

• Like 4

I’m gonna get lynched but I don’t really like the look of most Warwick basses 😬. I know they’re great basses and all but they look very 90s. Especially the Dolphin and infinity ones . Daft looking 

Edited by Quilly

13 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Agree completely. 🤮

My own pet hates are ‘Buzzard’ basses -

and basses with more knobs than strings; if you exceed this number then you’re an audio engineer first and bass player second.

seriously, get stacked knobs and do it tastefully!

Whereas I hate stacked knobs, especially when only one is stacked so it's twice as tall as the others! (but then have you seen HOW MANY KNOBS MY BASS HAS!)

• Like 1