Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

4 minutes ago, Quilly said:

As mentioned above I'm opposed to 'reliced' basses...in general. The only one I'd consider is a Roquefort blue reliced Sandberg, they are juts gorgeous. 

Sandberg California TM4 Roquefort Blue / Maple, Hardcore-Aged ...

Agreed. Many moons ago there was a Mk1 California Hard Core Aged in that colour and it looked lovely. Wish I had bought that. I’m not sure they even do that colour any more, do they?

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Agreed. Many moons ago there was a Mk1 California Hard Core Aged in that colour and it looked lovely. Wish I had bought that. I’m not sure they even do that colour any more, do they?

I was just on their site :dash1:Yep they still do it , the softcore aged is perfect. I asked them before if they just did it new, they said that it doesn't really look like anything the green/blue mottling effect (which is so nice) just isn't there with the un-aged finish.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes and yes it does. I take solace in the fact that they got it right on the four string Monarch.

Headstock on mine....

B5BA4174-E212-4F34-AD33-2E4B1669EF7E.jpeg.1d27adfb9f2bc7765884d56746951e3e.jpeg

That's classy.

More to the point, at it's widest it looks like another tuner could be fitted to fit another 1 or 2. Might need a little increase in size but the design would still be a good one.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

More to the point, at it's widest it looks like another tuner could be fitted to fit another 1 or 2. Might need a little increase in size but the design would still be a good one.

Yes, if you wanted to go to a 5 you could just move the E further up and put a b nearer the end.

• Like 1

Matching headstocks on maple boarded basses. Pretty much the only thing I can’t deal with.

edit - and spiky basses.

There are quite a lot of things which put me off actually, but all silly little things and nothing definitive.

The Sandberg headstock always looks wrong to me, “stealth” satin black finishes which only look good for 10 minutes before the bass  looks like a greasy chip bag and silly things like mismatched headstock design vs body shape.

Anyhow, variety is the spice of life etc.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

Oh Dear,  I appear to have hit a number of hate-triggers with my Majones Jabba-4 (i.e. black hardware, no scratch plate with plate control knob and matching body and head stock on maple). I dont really care, it plays and sound fab.   

Mayones.JPG

3 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Oh Dear,  I appear to have hit a number of hate-triggers with my Majones Jabba-4 (i.e. black hardware, no scratch plate with plate control knob and matching body and head stock on maple). I dont really care, it plays and sound fab.   

Mayones.JPG

....and that sir, is all that counts 👍

• Like 2

Cool thread. There are many, many things that put me off. I guess a lot of people will hate me now, but it is what it is. So, in no particular order:

- too many pots and switches (G&L L2K, I am looking at you ;- )

- weird looking pickguards (e.g., FGN Mighty Power P bass). Prefer basses without any pickguard.

- weird headstocks (e.g., Cort A4 Ultra, looks like a piece has been chopped off)

- weird body shapes (Steinberger XP2, Gibson Explorer and EBMM Bongo, I am looking at you ;- ). Only exception: Bootsy’s Space bass. Why? Because it is Bootsy 😍

- racing stripes on basses (e.g., G&L Fallout bass). Really? Do they make me play faster? Let me guess the answer. Just looks ridiculous. Maybe ok for a Ford GT or Mustang Shelby. Happy to have one of those 😎

- basses that look like ticks. Sorry, I don’t like ticks and therefore cannot stand basses like Pedulla’s MVP basses or the Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Bass.

- no separate battery compartments or ones with screws. Just look at how Dingwall is dealing with that. Simples.

- sparkle finishes. Too much bling. Sorry, not into that.

- basses that come with stickers, especially for the wrong football club (yes, you all know which one I am thinking of 😉

-painted and glossy necks. Not a fan of.

- removing the neck to adjust the truss rod (e.g., Fender AMVI basses). I know it is about being “vintage correct” but I still think it is a pain in the you know where. I also don’t like truss rod covers that you need to unscrew. I think EBMM have a good solution with the truss rod wheel.

- relic basses. I never got the appeal. It just screams “fake” to me. Relic your basses yourself by dropping them, hitting things, playing them forever. Trust me, you can do that even in your own living room. Some of my basses are the living proof for that ;- ) Thinking of it, even back in the 80s, I did not get why people would pay a company (e.g., Diesel) for jeans with holes. I am happy to do that myself. Thank you.

Ok, rant over. Now I feel much better 🙂

7 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nice.

But.... does that mean someone actually specc'd the shite one??

That nice one is a Monarch (I think). The other one isn’t. That’s about the sum of my knowledge on that one as all I’ve ever had are Monarch’s. @molan would probably one of the better people to ask.

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nice.

But.... does that mean someone actually specc'd the shite one??

There is a can of worms which believes that the extended length behind the nut contributes to a “better” B string experience. There are quite a few Foderas with that abomina... I mean, alternative headstock.

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

There is a can of worms which believes that the extended length behind the nut contributes to a “better” B string experience. There are quite a few Foderas with that abomina... I mean, alternative headstock.

Lull got round that by putting the B string through the body. Works 👍