Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

20200804_112608.jpg

Seriously - WTAF were they thinking?

The shape of that headstock doesn’t bother me, but the placement of the tuners does. I suspect it’s a vanity thing in that they didn’t want to have the A string right across the ‘Fodera’ on the truss rod cover. That B string is barely holding on 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The shape of that headstock doesn’t bother me, but the placement of the tuners does. I suspect it’s a vanity thing in that they didn’t want to have the A string right across the ‘Fodera’ on the truss rod cover. That B string is barely holding on 😂

Having said that, the shape dictates the placement to a certain extent. Could be better IMHO.

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh yeah, now I see it I cant unsee it. That's just ridiculous, and for such an expensive bass.

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Not sure what the problem is? 

The headstock shape

1 tuner being strung differently from the others (That alone is enough to give me eye cancer).

That same tuner being stuck on the side like an after thought rather than redesigning the shape for the 5 string version.

Dodgy string angles.

So many different opinions here on what we dislike. Some might see it as a sea of negativity, but I think it’s healthy that we like/dislike different things. It’s unlikely that any of my dislikes would stop me buying a bass that played magnificently and sounded awesome, but it would give me pause. Too many knobs and switches and gold hardware are two of my pet peeves, but I’ve owned an SR1605 that is guilty of both. Some headstock shapes are ‘wrong’ too, so, combined with my previous 2 dislikes, a Fodera in my arsenal seems unlikely (even if I could afford one, they do sound fantastic, however). But if you think some of the already listed headstocks are puke inducing, check out what guitarists have to endure...

2141747B-ADD1-46A9-BB36-01563335F232.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

So many different opinions here on what we dislike. Some might see it as a sea of negativity, but I think it’s healthy that we like/dislike different things. It’s unlikely that any of my dislikes would stop me buying a bass that played magnificently and sounded awesome, but it would give me pause. Too many knobs and switches and gold hardware are two of my pet peeves, but I’ve owned an SR1605 that is guilty of both. Some headstock shapes are ‘wrong’ too, so, combined with my previous 2 dislikes, a Fodera in my arsenal seems unlikely (even if I could afford one, they do sound fantastic, however). But if you think some of the already listed headstocks are puke inducing, check out what guitarists have to endure...

Great guitars though them Tyler’s. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I had a go on one once. It was spectacular.

Would never buy it because of the headstock though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Great guitars though them Tyler’s. 

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I had a go on one once. It was spectacular.

Would never buy it because of the headstock though.

Absolutely agree, great guitars with some astonishing finishes, great playability and tone, but WTF?

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is it meant to be strung like that. It just looks all kind of wrong and confusing.

I'm not an accomplished fretless player but I really lined fretlesses really annoying, not for any aesthetic reason but because you instinctively play between the fret lines and are then of course off-pitch. I think they're a hindrance more than a help TBH, better off with just the correctly positioned dot markers and ears (IMO of course) . 

Edited by Quilly

Fender Precision and Jazz basses and anything similar. 

I'm sure that they are perfectly good basses for most people (although I have owned a Squier Jazz and it was probably the worst instrument I ever had, and significantly inferior to the £60 Wesley bass it was supposed to replace), but in my eyes they are boring looking and that's a good enough reason for me not to have one.

Thinking about it the Fender Precision Bass is so deadly dull looking that I don't think I've ever been tempted to try one, even briefly, in my entire 40+ year playing career.

I made the mistake of buying a nice sounding and playing, but boring looking, guitar back in the early 90s when I was getting back into playing guitar and bass after a long stint of playing synth, and decided that since it was only going to be for recording and writing, it didn't matter what it looked liked. Within a couple of years I was on stage using it and thinking how crap it looked, and have vowed to never again own an instrument that I wouldn't be happy being seen playing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

image.png.7bf1f59a151a75711a4a77e3c96705ef.png

Is there any one particular thing that can turn a work of art into a rotten egg? 

Do you look at the rear of a bass, shiver in anticipation, only to gag and stagger from the room the moment you see the headstock decal? Or scratchplate colour or shape? Or lack of a scratchplate altogether? 

Is a hideous headstock, a brass nut, gold nob or a side mounted jack socket enough to have you turn on your heel and leave?

Do you wonder if you've chosen the wrong instrument when someone puts up a picture of a blue bass and everyone else appears oblivious to this crime against nature? 

For me it's the headstock shape, it can utterly ruin an otherwise beautiful machine. There are combinations of colours (black body and plate, maple board) which don't appeal but that's more than one thing. 

Come on, prove to me that I'm not the only irrational fool here. 

Ted Nugent's favorite bass guitar.

42 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It looks like somebody used a piece of MDF back to front, and then couldn't be bothered finishing it.  

Singlecuts, basses with very exotic wood tops, anything with more than five strings, or anything that weighs a tonne are not for me.

I'm no fan of fake relicing either - it's not a deal breaker, but some otherwise nice basses have enough ridiculously overcooked relicing to put me right off.

• Like 3

I can probably put up with any single thing on a bass (Given the neck profile, string spacing etc was ok), although some headstocks are hard to love (esp fender tele style) as luckily most things that are really terrible such as tort pickguard or silver hardware can be replaced.

1 minute ago, nilebodgers said:

The way those strings leave the nut at an angle offends my engineer's eye, it's such bad design on all levels.

I don't get foderas, I know they are supposed to be fantastic things, but so much of their design looks like an afterthought - I always hated their random knob position, but that is just jarring. And not only that, when tuning you have a lifetime of picking the wrong tuner - tuning strings in order means furthest, nearest, middle!

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I always hated their random knob position, but that is just jarring. And not only that, when tuning you have a lifetime of picking the wrong tuner - tuning strings in order means furthest, nearest, middle!

I've never noticed that before.....good grief !