Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

Just now, redbandit599 said:

Lovely bass and I'm glad you like it.🙂

I'd still prefer it without the backing plate though. I think it's the corner on the right hand side that bugs me, they always look shaped to fit something that isn't there to me. Maybe if it was a more rounded off shape I'd change my mind.

Thing is, I know what you mean and I think I like it for the same reason you don't :)I kind of like it because it looks like the scratchplate should be there but isn't. It sort of implies the scratchplate, like there is one but it's invisible... I think this is revealing more about the workings of my mind than I should admit to now :)

• Haha 1

It's funny to see some people not liking blank fretboards. For me the standard dot inlays are really grating. It's not a complete deal breaker but very nearly. 

I don't mind if they're offset, but blank boards are my preference by far.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Black blocks on a maple fretboard, or no fret markers at all. Wont ever own a bass with either.

I dont need the fret markers, i just think having them looks better than a plain board. 

Oh, and a 6th (or 7th) string 😁

I considered getting white fret dots on my Sandberg for a good while...kinda like its now though.  

I like bass guitars to be kept fairly simple, things I dont like...

1. Too many knobs and controls and too many pickups

2. Gammy headstocks (see Sire Marcus miller bass)

3. 2 x 9v battery compartments (its gonna be a pain to run)

4. The most controversial: paying extra for a faux "battered up" bass 

5. Reverse vintage tuners - why?  

6. Although i own a 24 fret bass, I think it's probably unnecessary and takes away from the looks of the bass. 

20 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I considered getting white fret dots on my Sandberg for a good while...kinda like its now though.  

When I ordered my custom Sandberg I asked for an ebony board with no dots , I wasn’t sure if I’d made the right call until it came,  but when I saw it I knew it was the right choice 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

When I ordered my custom Sandberg I asked for an ebony board with no dots , I wasn’t sure if I’d made the right call until it came,  but when I saw it I knew it was the right choice 

My Sandberg bass is about 10yrs old now and I didn't initially really like the rosewood fingerboard with no inlays (it seemed a bit pale, dry and boring) but I've been diligent in applying lemon oil everytime I changed the strings. It has a deep lustre now that looks cool.  

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PlasmaZombies said:

For me it's the headstock shape. It's the only thing stopping me from trying out a Sire..

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

For me it's the headstock shape, it can utterly ruin an otherwise beautiful machine. There are combinations of colours (black body and plate, maple board) which don't appeal but that's more than one thing. 

Me too, it's weird? I have a G& L and that's an odd headstock shape but I don't mind that. On the other hand, Sire's, Laklands and Sadowskys look wrong to me.

Single cuts are a big no for me.

i also would never own a  wood-y looking basses... anything not either solid colour or some sort of finish even if the wood is visible. I marvel and say "wow" when looking at them and can appreciate there craftsmanship and  the woods used but if i was offered it for free i would have to decline.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

i also would never own a  wood-y looking basses... anything not either solid colour or some sort of finish even if the wood is visible. I marvel and say "wow" when looking at them and can appreciate there craftsmanship and  the woods used but if i was offered it for free i would have to decline.

Could I persuade you to take it and give it to me? 😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Black blocks on a maple fretboard, or no fret markers at all. Wont ever own a bass with either.

I dont need the fret markers, i just think having them looks better than a plain board. 

Oh, and a 6th (or 7th) string 😁

Looks like my Hellwood offends people on two different scores then (see picture earlier in the topic) - no markers either. I've got one with blocks (not black on maple though), one with dots and one with nothing at the mo.

Edited by adamg67

Agree with some of the points here:

1. Gold hardware. Eugh.

2. Bell plates without a scratchplate

3. Some headstock designs are just grim

HOwever I also own basses some of you would hate (blank fretboards, reverse headstocks etc...) so each to their own :)

35 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

I like the look of woody basses but I dont like that Id have to 'mind' it with creams and stuff.  

Edited by Quilly

1 minute ago, adamg67 said:

Looks like my Hellwood offends people on two different scores as well (see picture earlier in the topic) - no markers either. I've got one with blocks (not black on maple though), one with dots and one with nothing at the mo.

Have to say your Hellwood is probably the only bass I'd consider with the bell plate and no scratchplate. I do like the look of them :)

• Like 1

I'll add my vote for gold hardware being a big turn off. I had an Ibanez BTB 456 and when I wanted to go 5 string and upgrade I looked at a lot of the higher spec BTBs, but they all had gold hardware so weren't allowed in the house.

Edit: All my basses have black hardware though, which was on somebody's list of no-nos. They are all mainly black basses though.

Edited by adamg67

3 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Edit: All my basses have black hardware though, which was on somebody's list of no-nos. They are all mainly black basses though.

Ditto the black hardware. I can deal with chrome on the right bass but black just sits better with me for some reason.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I like bass guitars to be kept fairly simple, things I dont like...

1. Too many knobs and controls and too many pickups

2. Gammy headstocks (see Sire Marcus miller bass)

3. 2 x 9v battery compartments (its gonna be a pain to run)

4. The most controversial: paying extra for a faux "battered up" bass 

5. Reverse vintage tuners - why?  

6. Although i own a 24 fret bass, I think it's probably unnecessary and takes away from the looks of the bass. 

Yes I agree with all of those.