Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

image.png.7bf1f59a151a75711a4a77e3c96705ef.png

Is there any one particular thing that can turn a work of art into a rotten egg? 

Do you look at the rear of a bass, shiver in anticipation, only to gag and stagger from the room the moment you see the headstock decal? Or scratchplate colour or shape? Or lack of a scratchplate altogether? 

Is a hideous headstock, a brass nut, gold nob or a side mounted jack socket enough to have you turn on your heel and leave?

Do you wonder if you've chosen the wrong instrument when someone puts up a picture of a blue bass and everyone else appears oblivious to this crime against nature? 

For me it's the headstock shape, it can utterly ruin an otherwise beautiful machine. There are combinations of colours (black body and plate, maple board) which don't appeal but that's more than one thing. 

Come on, prove to me that I'm not the only irrational fool here. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m probably going to get slated for this but , Lakland do some stunning basses and I would definitely have one in my collection , but I can’t do the bridge shape 

I know what you mean, but I think it's because we've been conditioned to see a bridge as rectangular and anything else looks odd.

I did feel the same way and then chilled out over it. Then I bought one and wow! You're missing out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I know what you mean, but I think it's because we've been conditioned to see a bridge as rectangular and anything else looks odd.

I did feel the same way and then chilled out over it. Then I bought one and wow! You're missing out.

Never been 100% with Lakland bridges, but never let them bother. They just seem to work well and are part of the Lakland look. Never owned a Lakland that wasn't fantastic. 

The headstock on G&L basses though.......

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PlasmaZombies said:

For me it's the headstock shape. It's the only thing stopping me from trying out a Sire..

I came here to say something similar. Sire’s headstock design just seems unrefined. It’s as if they took a hacksaw to a blank paddle and said “that’ll do”. 

That said, the headstock isn’t stopping me trying one. They just don’t make one in the configuration at the price point I want. 

• Like 2

Just now, Greg Edwards69 said:

I came here to say something similar. Sire’s headstock design just seems unrefined. It’s as if they took a hacksaw to a blank paddle and said “that’ll do”. 

That said, the headstock isn’t stopping me trying one. They just don’t make one in the configuration at the price point I want. 

They do seem to be needlessly long, but i don’t find them as ugly as another brand ive already mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Agreed! I'm just not a fan of their headstock design, though they seem to suit their Jazz style basses better than their P style basses.

On paper though, the P7 ticks a lot of boxes for me. If I could try one before I buy maybe i could overlook the headstock, unlikely though! 

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You’re right , I saw a really nice skyline Dj 4 in lake placid blue , I might have to try again 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m probably going to get slated for this but , Lakland do some stunning basses and I would definitely have one in my collection , but I can’t do the bridge shape 

I couldn't bring this to mind so I looked up Lakland basses. 

Oh dear. I see what you mean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

image.png.7bf1f59a151a75711a4a77e3c96705ef.png

Is there any one particular thing that can turn a work of art into a rotten egg? 

Do you look at the rear of a bass, shiver in anticipation, only to gag and stagger from the room the moment you see the headstock decal? Or scratchplate colour or shape? Or lack of a scratchplate altogether? 

Is a hideous headstock, a brass nut, gold nob or a side mounted jack socket enough to have you turn on your heel and leave?

Do you wonder if you've chosen the wrong instrument when someone puts up a picture of a blue bass and everyone else appears oblivious to this crime against nature? 

For me it's the headstock shape, it can utterly ruin an otherwise beautiful machine. There are combinations of colours (black body and plate, maple board) which don't appeal but that's more than one thing. 

Come on, prove to me that I'm not the only irrational fool here. 

Nope, you are the only irrational fool here.

The rest of us are bass players and thus immune from being either irrational or fools. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

I shudder at basses that have the knobs mounted on a plate (eg Jazz bass style) but that then have no scratchplate.  It just looks like an afterthought to me.

Similar reasons for not liking clear scratchplates.

I dont mind basses with or without a scratch plate if thats how they come, but i don’t like to see a bass where its been removed. 

• Like 1

Sunburst, sunburst, SUNBURST!!! If a bass I'm interested in, is listed in the for sale section, I'll usually open it, get to the first pic, see sunburst and close instantly. Can't chuffin stand it. I'd even refuse a Wal in sunburst (if such an atrocity has ever existed).

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I dont mind basses with or without a scratch plate if thats how they come, but i don’t like to see a bass where its been removed. 

I also like with or without,  it's just those 'without' ones that have the knobs mounted on a 'disembodied ' metal plate, rather than being just drilled etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redbandit599 said:

I also like with or without,  it's just those 'without' ones that have the knobs mounted on a 'disembodied ' metal plate, rather than being just drilled etc.

I've got one like that and I love it :) It's one of these:

front%201.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamg67 said:

I've got one like that and I love it :) It's one of these:

front%201.jpg

Lovely bass and I'm glad you like it.🙂

I'd still prefer it without the backing plate though. I think it's the corner on the right hand side that bugs me, they always look shaped to fit something that isn't there to me. Maybe if it was a more rounded off shape I'd change my mind.

• Like 2