Why become a member? ×

Tele bass necks / 51 p bass neck query?

barrycreed

Hi all, I am thinking of looking at a 51 p bass body, and have seen some for sale online with neck pockets to fit standard fender dimension necks.

I have a jazz bass neck lying around which I may use, but do like the tele headstock on the original models. Can you get t style p bass necks with a thin j bass neck profile? Or are the tele style p bass necks all thick? I suppose a normal P bass profile wouldn't be so bad either.

Essentially you need to match your body neck pocket rout to the contour of your neck heel.

If there is a mismatch you can alter the neck pocket to fit the neck so there is a good contact maintained.

the most important joins are Heel into the body laterally on the upper horn side.

Thanks folks. So for example in this, I have the option of choosing a vintage correct neck socket or a reissue neck socket. I would assume I'd still need a neck with a square heel?

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/products/pb-51

On reflection, it's the 54 countoured body I'd go for. Any suggestions for wood. (Not heavy!). Guitarbuild has quite a few options. Plan would be to keep it a natural finish, as dark as possible once finished. No pickguard, possibly black hardware... Or else finished where the natural grain would show through.

Edited by barrycreed

8 hours ago, barrycreed said:

tempting! I really need to sell some things first, so should park this idea until I do :)

Before you do check your jazz neck with a square. To flatten the heel might take 3 - 4 mm.

As long as your bridge will allow the saddles to freely move back the removed 3 to 4 mm you can still use the guitarbuild body.

Minimum speaking length of a bass string is 34", your saddles will always be more than 34" from the nut so "-  3m"  is just a case of winding back the saddles .

If you're concerned about the fretboard don't go the whole hog, just do the pocket depth. Think a thicker fret overhang like those found on many 21 fret necks.

For a great squared heel neck I'd recommend Wan Guitar on Ali Ex or their ebay store "jinwan". The 2 Tele bass necks I bought are terrific though they'll be too chunky for your needs. Ask them how thick the 38mm nut version is.

10 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

For a great squared heel neck I'd recommend Wan Guitar on Ali Ex or their ebay store "jinwan". The 2 Tele bass necks I bought are terrific though they'll be too chunky for your needs. Ask them how thick the 38mm nut version is.

I've been looking at their necks. The headstock looks weird on most of them - more like a telecaster guitar shape, with the "bump" further towards the end. Id that just the photographs, or are they really like that?

This one looks OK

but this looks a bit odd 

....oh, and some of them actually have a rounded heel rather than squared off, so there are options!

Edited by RichardH

13 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

+1 for the "jinwan" necks. I've had 2 Tele Bass necks and one Jazz neck and they've been great. All three had the MoP block inlays on maple boards with gloss finish and are great. As @RichardH points out the headstock is not quite 100% but 98% in my veiw and a man on a galloping horse is not going to notice! 

Edited by JohnDaBass
Added link
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Thanks for the reminder on that build. In fact your neck looks a lot closer to "proper" than that the one they have on eBay at the moment in that style - which even the Red Arrows on a flyapast would spot as shonky - so maybe the photos on eBay are just samples. I think if I go ahead I'll message the seller first....

Yes Wing Commander you are absolutely correct Sir. I bought the Tele Bass necks at different times and the second one is a bit "Orff" a Nant's, but as I was adding a larger decal the extra real estate works a treat. I plan to post a diary of my P51 3/4 upgrade in the coming days.

Roger

10-4

O A O