Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* ...Warwick Streamer 1991
£1300
Leeds / West Yorkshire

LukeFRC

TL;DR version
Nice older era Warwick. Well played, lightweight, sounds amazing, really nice fret job, really lightweight. Buy it now!

So I never thought I would do this... 

This bass has been my main bass for years and years. It was my love for Warwicks that really let me onto Basschat in the first place and ever since I picked it up it's been my main bass while loads more have been and gone. My decision to trade my old JD Thumb bass for a Sadowsky a couple of years ago was driven only by the fact the Sadowsky would be easier to sell... I've played nothing else since, and as such, and having to use the small room full of basses as a home office recently a couple of my basses need to make way.

So what is it.
A 1991 Warwick Streamer. Maple body, maple neck and wenge stringers, wenge fretboard. Gold hardware.
1991 is prior to the move east, so similar with most the Warwicks of this era it's got the nice thin neck. I measure a 39-40mm nut.
The hardware is gold and I think from when it was still made by Schaller. 
It's bright and lively sounding - it's super sensitive to your right hand position and attack. Some basses sound like they sound, this one you can change the sound dramatically depending where you play over. I made a recording of it in this thread here where it was voted the best sounding by a long way.

The original MEC pickups (long gone) were stupidly bright to my ears so I swapped them out for a Bartolini PJ set. From memory it's from before the "classic series" existed, so they are original series. They are a perfect match to my ears for the brightness of the bass giving a warm mid range and the fat bottom. 

The preamp is the original MEC one. It did wear a ACG preamp for years but I switched it back to something simpler as the ACG plus Helix stomp was way too many options. 
Like most Warwicks the jack socket has been changed (a few times)  

What is it not.

If you want something factory fresh and pristine - this isn't the bass for you. It's been played - a lot. First by the original owner, and then by me. (nb most the knocks were from the previous guy)  There is nothing structural, wood has knocks and dings, and it's discoloured slightly in some contact spots (eg above the P pickup, round the volume) in the flesh this isn't really super noticeable... but as I said, if you wanted something pristine or without blemish you wouldn't have read this far... there's probably a reason that it's been so well played in the last 29 years though. 

It's also not heavy. I make it 3.2-3.6kg using the time honoured getting on and off the bathroom scales technique. (3.2kg in two scales 3.6kg on another) It's one of the lightest basses I've played and balances well. (There's a current trend towards lightweight basses.... some of which is led by wanting a super light bass so your shoulder doesn't hurt at the end of a 4 hour gig, and some of it led by medical requirements. I'm reasonably confident in my weighing - but if there's a medical reason why you would like a bass this light, lets talk and I'll work out a way of getting more accurate measurements) 

This is probably the most important point.... it is not a battered player. The truss works perfectly (and I think is removable if it didn't) 
When I got it the previous owner had impressively managed to wear down the bell brass frets in the first position. which was a bit hard to play. I took it to the lovely guys at Alpher (thanks @CHRISDABASS) who must have spent ages giving it a fret job. The result is a super smooth playing bass with the ability to get the action down to silly places if that's your thing. It really is beautiful job they did. 

What else does it come with?
A nice Levys Canadian leather strap in green, with the dunlop strap locks (it came with it when I bought it, I never got around to changing it) 
A hiscox hardcase. It looks like all the other ones. It might be a more recent one as the handle is actually moulded to be comfortable to carry. 
UK postage (international at cost, EU no probs; wider than that at my discretion) 

Trades or offers
Will be listened too. Not really after anything at the moment, unless it's a Precision bass of some kind. Money added either way. Don't be offended if I don't want your bass or agree with your valuation of it. 
Offers will also be listened to. 

_DSF5945.JPG

_DSF5944.JPG

_DSF5943.JPG

_DSF5942.JPG

_DSF5941.JPG

_DSF5940.JPG

_DSF5939.JPG

_DSF5938.JPG

_DSF5937.JPG

_DSF5936.JPG

_DSF5935.JPG

_DSF5934.JPG

_DSF5933.JPG

_DSF5932.JPG

_DSF5931.JPG

_DSF5930.JPG

_DSF5929.JPG

_DSF5928.JPG

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 5

Ah, I fell in love with the Streamer when I saw Doug Wimbish playa workshop in Aberdeen, 1988 I think, R & B didn’t have one so I bought the Thumb instead, still have it. 

Good luck Luke this’ll fly away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might want to check the weight again - the only Streamers ive had that weigh less than 3.5kg were from the 80s and had either the much thinner cherry wood or Anegre bodies. I had a 93 maple bodied like yours and it was 3.8kg on the digital kitchen scales...

Wonderful basses regardless of whether they are super or just regular lightweight! 

GLWTS

3 hours ago, dyerseve said:

You might want to check the weight again - the only Streamers ive had that weigh less than 3.5kg were from the 80s and had either the much thinner cherry wood or Anegre bodies. I had a 93 maple bodied like yours and it was 3.8kg on the digital kitchen scales...

Wonderful basses regardless of whether they are super or just regular lightweight! 

GLWTS

I just took the bass for a walk for a socially distanced appointment with a friends bathroom scales on his front door step - it didn’t look weird at all. These scales came up at 3.6kg 

the other two came up at 3.2kg - so probably safer to say 3.6kg ... oddly not close to the other two and like I said I can work out a way to get more accurate scales if it’s a major concern. 
thanks for the prompt Though @dyerseve