Why become a member? ×

Ibanez MC924 Musician bass - 1981 model *SOLD*
£350
Bradford

Cog1977

Serial number: G814300  (July 1981)

This bass features the Super 4 pickups - I think they stopped fitting these after 1981.  3-way pickup selector.  Switchable between passive and active modes (with passive tone control).  Master volume control for 3 band active EQ, so passive and active modes can be matched in volume for easy switching (a great feature and I believe something Marcus Miller had done to his jazz bass for switching between his scooped slapping sound and more articulate fingerstyle playing).

Not the original finish.  This was repainted by a previous owner.  The EQ control knobs are not the originals and a hard plastic plate has been fitted under the active EQ controls.  Perhaps a previous owner was slightly inspired by Duff McKagen’s white Fender with black hardware…?  I originally bought the bass to use in a glam metal project, and I think it exudes a certain 1980s charm.

(note: the plate under the EQ controls hides a crack in the paint running straight through the controls (shown in photos).  Whatever repair was done is very solid and I don’t really see this as anything more than a cosmetic issue.)

The metal jack socket plate might not be original and only has three screws holding it onto the body (shown in photo).  There’s no screw hole for the fourth, but there’s no need as it is very secure.  For all it’s minor faults this bass has never let me down.  It feels extremely robust.

Obviously not a bass for collectors of pristine originals.  It plays perfectly however (and can support a very low action if that’s your thing).  The ebony fretboard, through-neck construction and high mass bridge all help with the highly articulate sound of these instruments.  In terms of playability and sound this is an excellent example of these basses.  

The weight is 4.8kg/10lb 6oz

This bass does not come with a case, so pickup preferred, but willing to discuss shipping.  Based in Bradford.

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

Edited by Cog1977
Item sold
  • Like 2

Even with the refin & minor damage that is a serious bargain for an early MC924. Wouldn't be surprised if the original finish is intact under the white, I've seen lots of refins that just needed the lacquer polished after removing the paint.

Very tempted but I will resist - GLWTS!