Why become a member? ×

Bright punchy strings that aren't abrasive?

JonnyBGood

Just picked up a 2nd hand Squier PJ bass  mainly for playing pick style, UK post punk type material so looking for punchy, bright, clear and clanky mid range tones. Gauge wise anything above 100-40 is too thick for me.

I just tried a set of Rotosound 66 and ouch, when sliding up the strings I find them too rough.  Is this typical of stainless steel strings or is there a set that is smooth that I can get for about 20 quid?

How do Warwick Red Labels compare?

Any other suggestions? Not necessarily wedded to the idea of stainless steel and Ernie Ball slinky's are my fall back...

Thanks

Steels do tend to be a bit rougher than nickel as a generalisation. 

The roughest strings I've personally ever used are Rotosound and Warwick Red Labels funnily enough. A lot of people swear by Roto's but, IMO, they are dreadful and last about an hour to go along with tearing your hands and frets up. 

I found Dunlop Super Brights to have a nice feel and they didn't rip my hands to shreds. A great, bright, punchy clear tone.You can usually find them for around £25 a set. Another good option are D'addario Pro Steels, they last for ages and are also easy on the hands, you can find these for about £20-25 online.

Edited by 40hz

Admittedly I’m a root man through and through, but I’ve tried many many types of strings. 
the warwicks are ok, but I find they die very quickly. 
the Dunlop’s are good, and I would place them second after my rotos. 
they play well and don’t have the significant ‘grab’ that rotos do. That would seem to be a definite plus for you. 

I got some dunlop stainless 50/70/85/105 to replac the Ibanez original 45/65/85/105... the wrap is a lot thinner than that of the Rotosounds RB45 and what ever ibanez fit as std - feel way smoother... not sure if this is a stainless thing, but more likely a dunlop thing...

A lot of string sets now come sealed, so hard to see or check, maybe can look at an 'individual' string in store, or take a punt on dunlop?

Edited by PaulThePlug

D'Addario nickels last forever and have always rocked out for me on any kind of p.u., fretted or fretless (I used fretless in a punk-jazz band and it was FEROCIOUS) and they are reasonabley priced (don't know UK prices, I'm New Jersey USA). Ernie Balls 2nd choice. Again, personally don't dig s.s. and I'm not playing metal (unless I am and then I still like nickel round) and FYI that's also what's on my Chapman Sticks (manufactured specially) and guitars

I like the Ken Smith strings, I believe they are made by GHS - amusingly I've never liked any of the self branded GHS strings. Currently using the Rock Master set, about £30 from Bass Direct and last ages.

On 12/08/2020 at 10:54, JonnyBGood said:

Just picked up a 2nd hand Squier PJ bass  mainly for playing pick style, UK post punk type material so looking for punchy, bright, clear and clanky mid range tones. Gauge wise anything above 100-40 is too thick for me.

I just tried a set of Rotosound 66 and ouch, when sliding up the strings I find them too rough.  Is this typical of stainless steel strings or is there a set that is smooth that I can get for about 20 quid?

How do Warwick Red Labels compare?

Any other suggestions? Not necessarily wedded to the idea of stainless steel and Ernie Ball slinky's are my fall back...

Thanks

When I switched to Rotosound steel strings they did feel really rough at first and my fingers felt like they were gonna fall off but after about a week I was used to them and they don't feel rough at all now 

I'm a big D'Addario fan also, but just replaced my D'Addario's with Newtone. Wow, the Newtone's are so much better, I like nickels, and they sound better than any D'Addario string I've played, have less tension, more flexibility and softer on the fingers. I'm sure the steel rounds are just as awesome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm a big D'Addario fan also, but just replaced my D'Addario's with Newtone. Wow, the Newtone's are so much better, I like nickels, and they sound better than any D'Addario string I've played, have less tension, more flexibility and softer on the fingers. I'm sure the steel rounds are just as awesome. 

I am having a custom set of steels made by them so this is encouraging to hear

Well I tried the Dunlops and yes a little less abrasive than the  Rotosounds but still not very comfortable to play. Also didn't like the tone (this is for a recording project,  recording direct to interface) - like the Rotosounds I found they have a kind of grainy/gritty metallic sound in the upper register which accentuates string buzz. I like a low action and they just didn't work for me.  Guess I'm not a stainless steel guy, but thanks anyway.

Have returned to Ernie Ball for now. Will give D'Addario a try next time.

All steel roundwounds are rough, if you want low action you'll need high tension strings, rotosound and fender are among the high end for tension.

I think you're looking for strings which doesn't exist - high tension for low action, and soft, smooth feel.

If you want rounds which have a soft, smooth feel you'll need nickel roundwound, but they are not as bright and clanky as steel roundwounds.

You may want to drop Newtone strings (I have no affiliation with them) a quick email, stating your requirements, won't cost you anything and you may get sound advice to get you close to what you want.

I find that D'addarios are smoother across the board. When i made the switch from flats to rounds I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that their EXL nickels were about the smoothest nickel plated string that you could get. Their stainless steel strings are also really smooth for a SS string as well.

I find that I can jump from their flats to nickels to SS and they all feel really good and not rough like some of the strings I've used in the past. I like my strings to have the same tension and D'addario are about the only company that publish their tensions so I always check them before buying to make sure I am going to get the same tension regardless of what type I use when changing basses

Edited by Delberthot