Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Bitsa Comedy

hiram.k.hackenbacker

While I've never wanted relic finished instrument, I don't hate or object to them, at least as long as they're well executed and this one looks like it will be. (It's just those hack jobs with wear in the wrong places and random flogging with bits of chain etcetera that look really fake, that make me shake my head.)

Looking forward to seeing how this finishes up. Hope it is everything you're hoping for.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2020 at 16:08, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Teaser for Episode 4: ‘Wind Yer Neck In’

Ordered:

67903962-9C4D-47EE-8DFB-F4198833605A.thumb.jpeg.9700535bc7d3a2907bd2db6f4f629a06.jpeg

Received:

82BBA390-BC50-4644-A64F-DAB1586EB681.jpeg.8bd395589d87958001f12ead909e0a11.jpeg

The one neck plate I didn’t want. On the upside, it’s looks like a proper one rather than the flimsy pressed metal copies that are floating about. I’m not sure if I can be bothered to argue with the seller over £14. Would you? Does it matter? It seems to be another indicator that things may not go smoothly during this process.

You paid £14 ? I have one you could have had for half that 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Body received from David Wilson and it's exactly what I hoped for. The man is a freaking genius.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to capture the subtleties of what David has done with this body, but I love it.

24B7918A-8B56-4B36-ADCD-84A5D5B04CDA.jpeg

277932B6-8563-45AB-A5F4-B35119EA01A2.jpeg

CBFFD4E5-DFEC-4707-ABA0-34EB9EC6C186.jpeg

AA648026-5A66-4DF9-AE5B-9E7B11771F12.jpeg

77C18393-9284-4CFB-994F-488483AC0E03.jpeg

Having seen this in the flesh you are correct, pictures never do it justice. You are also correct he is a genius! Theres a reason he was a waiting list and only does stuff he wants to do. Can wait to see it finished mate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah, that one went back. Fully refunded tho. I have sourced a replacement. If I ever build another one, I'll give you a shout 👍.

I got a big box of them (lots of kinds) quite by chance so yes Let me know 

• Thanks 1

I’ve had an entertaining afternoon shielding the pick-up and control cavities. I’ve never done it before and it’s quite satisfying, even if the shielding tape seems to have a mind of it’s own as soon as the backing has been removed. Loves sticking to itself 😬.

Still have the wires to go in, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

9551CFE9-A1A6-4471-8D0E-AC18F6E71196.jpeg

CF939640-523C-4801-9C01-AB6DEC8A0F94.jpeg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Time to change the thread title?!  You will be having the last laugh my friend - that looks bloody lovely already.

Have I missed the scratchplate/control plate choices?  Or are they to be a surprise?  Stacked knobs would look awesome on this.

Ha ha, very kind of you thanks. I did think about changing the title the other day, but didn’t want to tempt fate as it’s still not an operational instrument yet - oh, and I’m still just winging it really. You Tube has been very helpful 😎.

Regarding the scratch plate, it’s going to be as close as I can get it to the Custom Shop Precision this build is based on - so Vintage White was what I ordered. The main differences between the two basses will be no block inlays, no neck binding and mine will work out at a fraction of the £7,749.00 price tag of it’s twin. The stacked knobs arrived just the other day 👍.

B59E6F14-928E-4547-963E-7278B59A6F00.jpeg

983D0CCD-9488-4990-A50A-48F5F6B12BAE.jpeg

• Like 3

I haven’t had much time to spare today, but the Fralin’s are now in, bridge is on, knobs are mounted onto control plate (they arrived separately) and scratch plate now has shielding tape on the back. When I tried to screw the scratch plate on, none of the screws wanted to go in at all. I put it down to a bit of paint getting in the holes, but then compared the new Fender scratch plate screws I’d bought with the old ones and found that the new ones were slightly bigger. They’re definitely right for this guard tho, so I’m not sure what the screws were that came with it. Dremel to the rescue once again - all holes widened 👍.

The holes on the Ki0gon control plate are different to the ones in the VVT that had been on the body, so I asked David to fill the three holes when he painted it. Next job was re-drilling for the Ki0gon. I was just about to let rip with the Dremel when I noticed that the screws for the control plate were smaller than even the original scratch plate screws. Crisis averted. I sourced the correct drill bit from the garage, but it was too small for the chuck in the Dremel 🙄. Had to break out the big mains powered drill to do three three tiny holes. More than a bit nervous holding about that thing over the newly finished body; not for adding more scars to it, just worried about getting the holes in exactly the right position. All turned out fine though.

Next job is connecting the pick-up’s and getting the neck on which is looking increasingly unlikely for tomorrow ☹️.

All in good time I suppose.

0AFBEF00-3523-4118-9F9C-40D1CFEEF277.jpeg

F8C8BE45-1DBD-4970-AA89-99DCF8598489.jpeg

5B4FC363-BE69-40AA-BE80-758BD7A59A7D.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I sourced the correct drill bit from the garage, but it was too small for the chuck in the Dremel

That's odd.

When you say "chuck" do you actually mean collet?

image.png.3f1d5f2aef9e66c971877d78dbf4537f.png

If it looks like the one above, you only have four diameters of collet to choose from.

If you get a chuck;

image.png.5886fe62f6695dc9ebc6ea38c3b7e64b.png

It allows you to grip a greater range of bit diameters.  It is not as good a method of gripping a bit as the correct diameter collet but it should not matter for a drill bit going into timber.

If neither of these work and you have a tiny drill bit to use, a pin chuck might work for you;

image.png.e994ba02c18eb5146e71f0c3898033d5.png

This can either be used in a larger drill or you can spin it by hand if you are skilled enough not to bend the bit and break it off.  As you've already found how unwieldy a full size drill is for a small bit, I would recommend spinning it by hand after you've tried a test piece and are confident in its use.

New items made to look old are not really my thing but I do admire the project.  I think you will end up with a nice instrument at the end of it.  You will likely be looking forward to your next build too.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

When I said ‘chuck’, I was referring to the ‘collet’. They take pretty small bits, it just wouldn’t quite grip the one that was needed for the control plate.

I’m happy with drill work in general having spent several years ‘on the tools’ as an apprentice, then installation engineer, drilling anything from small holes in safe doors up to big holes through safe walls. My nervousness was more around the fact that the holes I was making were very small and very close (almost on top off) the site where the old holes had been filled. As you probably know, when drilling half off an old hole, the drill tip likes to find the easiest route downwards. Fortunately all had been filled soundly and the new holes went exactly where they needed to be. No dodgy looking screw head angles for me 👍.

• Like 3

You need a bradawl.

Or file a point on an old beat up small crosshead.

Actually better than a drill for small holes as the screw has more to grip, and less likely to wander if drilling a pugged hole where the plug may be much harder/softer than the surrounding material.

(Often, I use my pillar drill - I put a sheet on the table to prevent scratches).

• Thanks 1

Contrary to my expectations for this weekend, I’ve actually just managed to finish assembling the bass and it’s a belter.

Due to the lateness and lack of natural light, I’ll leave the photos until tomorrow. That leaves me more time to play it tonight 😀.

I’m sure all bitsa type assembly builds don’t go quite as swimmingly as this, but I have to say I’m mighty pleased.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Contrary to my expectations for this weekend, I’ve actually just managed to finish assembling the bass and it’s a belter.

Due to the lateness and lack of natural light, I’ll leave the photos until tomorrow. That leaves me more time to play it tonight 😀.

I’m sure all bitsa type assembly builds don’t go quite as swimmingly as this, but I have to say I’m mighty pleased.

Well done man. It’s a pretty cool feeling isn’t it! Can’t wait to see it tomorrow mate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, walshy said:

Well done man. It’s a pretty cool feeling isn’t it! Can’t wait to see it tomorrow mate 

Yeah, it does. I do feel I’ve been a bit lucky though. Not had any issue with the neck fitment at all. I’ve not even had to adjust the truss rod. It just went straight on with textbook relief (for me) and was good to go. The most fiddly part by far was the shielding and grounding of the the cavities. Not sure I’d want to do that for a full time job 😂. I guess that gets easier the more you do it and it was the first time for me.

• Like 1