Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Bitsa Comedy

hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 14/08/2020 at 16:08, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Teaser for Episode 4: ‘Wind Yer Neck In’

Ordered:

67903962-9C4D-47EE-8DFB-F4198833605A.thumb.jpeg.9700535bc7d3a2907bd2db6f4f629a06.jpeg

Received:

82BBA390-BC50-4644-A64F-DAB1586EB681.jpeg.8bd395589d87958001f12ead909e0a11.jpeg

The one neck plate I didn’t want. On the upside, it’s looks like a proper one rather than the flimsy pressed metal copies that are floating about. I’m not sure if I can be bothered to argue with the seller over £14. Would you? Does it matter? It seems to be another indicator that things may not go smoothly during this process.

Oh dear. It's picked up a dose of Corona...

Episode 5: Jazz Bass - Assemble

I’ve spent an enjoyable afternoon assembling the Jazz today.

This was very much a ‘put it together to see if makes any sound’ type experience and I’m pleased to say that it does.

I didn’t bother doing the intonation or string heights, but I did adjust the pick-up height to the recommended distance.

Issues identified:

• The screw holes in the body don’t line up with the bell plate holes. Well two of them do, but the other one is a bit off and it’s a bit too far to get it in even with a slight angle. I’m think I may have to fill that and re-drill before it goes away for the refinish.
  • The control cavity is very tight. My next purchase will be a Dremel as recommended previously. I’m going to take a couple of mm off both sides. I may do this first as I think the bell plate may line up with all three holes once done.
  • The G string doesn’t split the poles perfectly. I’m gonna wear that as I can’t doing anything about it and it’s debatable whether it an issue sonically anyway.
  • There a 6 holes in the body that are surplus to requirements. They are getting filled by Dave when it goes for painting. 

On the upside, it’s amazingly quiet. Not a hint of an earthing issue. I replaced the bridge earthing wire with some newly acquired 22AWG and it works fine. I had a little worry for a second when I though the bridge pick-up wasn’t working until I realised the series/parallel switch was pointing the wrong way 🙄.

I’m considering drilling flush mounted strap locks into the body. I know they’re not for everyone, but I like them.

Nothing else to report for now I don’t think. 

• Like 1

Ordered this last night, which should be here today. Time to get busy enlarging the control cavity.

The eagle eyed among you will also have noticed that the knobs are missing from the control plate. I’m waiting on these, but there’s plenty of time yet, even before it goes to paint. 

886CAB63-5392-4D53-BEC5-F5E62E8FCC01.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ordered this last night, which should be here today. Time to get busy enlarging the control cavity.

The eagle eyed among you will also have noticed that the knobs are missing from the control plate. I’m waiting on these, but there’s plenty of time yet, even before it goes to paint. 

886CAB63-5392-4D53-BEC5-F5E62E8FCC01.jpeg

They are brilliant like

• Like 1

The black bell shaped object is a jig that should help you with making a neat job of sanding the sides of the cavity.

It's not always obvious but the sanding drums fit over the rubber cylinder, loosen screw, slide on sanding drum and tighten the screw to expand the rubber and grip the drum. Easy to split to crease the drum if you don't know this.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The black bell shaped object is a jig that should help you with making a neat job of sanding the sides of the cavity.

It's not always obvious but the sanding drums fit over the rubber cylinder, loosen screw, slide on sanding drum and tighten the screw to expand the rubber and grip the drum. Easy to split to crease the drum if you don't know this.

It’s only just arrived. Won’t be able to play with it until tomorrow now.

All notes with thanks 👍.

Slight amendment in respect of the guard. Having screwed it in place and laid the control plate next to it, all 3 control plate holes are marginally out and will have to be filled and re-drilled for the perfect fit.

I’m going to get to grips with the Dremel today. Thinking about it, I should probably put the batteries on charge first.

DF767CEE-9A74-495A-B99C-7A6A245D87A3.jpeg

F44E5739-8C7D-46E8-98E2-10A3205CC027.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Sad 1

Episode 6: Everyone Should Have a Dremel in Their Life

Got busy with the Dremel this afternoon. What a wonderful piece of kit it is. I used the guide for the first and second passes and took the deep stuff out by hand as it doesn’t have to be that pretty at the bottom. I think the main issue with the cavity as it was when I received it was that the sides weren’t vertical. I seem to have taken a lot more from the bottom than from top. The control plate now sits in there nicely with quite a bit of wiggle room.

I think I’ve done what I need to do with the body and I’m going to book it in for it’s refinIsh.

85E111BF-5D9B-4304-ADE6-DC182442C278.jpeg

029FC55F-1F9E-4EEF-95E4-5F7BE1627AB1.jpeg

7C8951B0-37BB-49C1-A757-3B4E064D281C.jpeg

10D65C03-A9E3-46E9-B5A9-D330C5FDB58A.jpeg

• Like 8

Episode 7: Hi ho! Hi ho! Off To Paint We Go!

The body went off for it’s refinish on Monday and has been delivered this morning.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this goes. I had about three very different colour schemes in mind for this and settled on the this one in the end. Coincidentally, it was also the one that the guy doing the refin was most enthusiastic about, although I suspect it probably presented more of a challenge than the other two. It’s based on a £7.75k Fender Custom Shop Master Built Precision which is currently for sale at Peach Guitars in Colchester. I went up there and played it alongside a £3.8k Lake Placid Blue Custom Shop Jazz. Both stunningly good, but the prices were a little rich for me - for what they are anyway.

The Precision’s colour is called ‘Aged Ice Blue Metallic’ which has been turned greenish by the nitro. Opinion is divided among those I’ve shared it with, slightly biased towards the positive 😂. I like it, so I guess that’s all that matters. Here’s a few photo’s of the Precision.

1E661ACF-81FD-4329-951D-3466EF1CA468.jpeg

05702A1E-368E-46FD-95AB-FE1749FC13F0.jpeg

736BCD46-65A3-469B-A229-8CB7156FAEAD.jpeg

E9757D90-5FCE-4558-A81B-CFB691C95727.jpeg

854A579E-DCF9-46A4-B713-035FCDABE1F4.jpeg

BD94EA25-EA35-4B76-9069-23B4DAF3E617.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 28/08/2020 at 18:28, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The G string doesn’t split the poles perfectly. I’m gonna wear that as I can’t doing anything about it and it’s debatable whether it an issue sonically anyway.

Probably not an issue, more aesthetic than anything.  But if it ends up annoying you,  get yerself a Schaller 3D bridge.  Not only do they adjust  forward/back and up/down, they adjust left to right.  You can line up the strings over poles to perfection.

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Probably not an issue, more aesthetic than anything.  But if it ends up annoying you,  get yerself a Schaller 3D bridge.  Not only do they adjust  forward/back and up/down, they adjust left to right.  You can line up the strings over poles to perfection.

I did consider the option when I was sourcing a bridge, but it really is minimal and the BBOT fits better with the stack knobs I think.

More photos from the paint shop. I’ve picked a few out of the vast amount that I’ve been sent. I know relicing is not everyones cup of Darjeeling, but I find it really interesting seeing the transformation from nice and shiny to worn in. Still waiting for the lacquer to go off properly, but just the shake and bake to go now. I foresee this being exactly how I imagined it courtesy of Professor David Wilson, Paintworks Dept, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

C8DEA3E2-40CB-4FFF-8D63-B5A6B2C41F5F.jpeg

66A4B48D-192E-4943-8B39-8AE83E1CABE7.jpeg

809BF708-C6AF-4F9C-B3F6-924D38F50C11.jpeg

E9723FDC-D1F9-40F7-92C3-60186F80FEDE.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

More photos from the paint shop. I’ve picked a few out of the vast amount that I’ve been sent. I know relicing is not everyones cup of Darjeeling, but I find it really interesting seeing the transformation from nice and shiny to worn in. Still waiting for the lacquer to go off properly, but just the shake and bake to go now. I foresee this being exactly how I imagined it courtesy of Professor David Wilson, Paintworks Dept, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

C8DEA3E2-40CB-4FFF-8D63-B5A6B2C41F5F.jpeg

66A4B48D-192E-4943-8B39-8AE83E1CABE7.jpeg

809BF708-C6AF-4F9C-B3F6-924D38F50C11.jpeg

E9723FDC-D1F9-40F7-92C3-60186F80FEDE.jpeg

Yes I had a flurry of images from him today too. I think it looks sweet, the relic work is just about spot on. He’s pretty damn good

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yes I had a flurry of images from him today too. I think it looks sweet, the relic work is just about spot on. He’s pretty damn good

Yes, I particularly like this photo because it’s exactly like the reference I sent. Once the crackling is done, it’s going to look even more fabulous.

A3FEDC2D-A049-4DD0-9C22-57986D3CC3FD.jpeg

31D360D1-1B64-4DF5-A2E5-D28DF68129C3.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I particularly like this photo because it’s exactly like the reference I sent. Once the crackling is done, it’s going to look even more fabulous.

A3FEDC2D-A049-4DD0-9C22-57986D3CC3FD.jpeg

31D360D1-1B64-4DF5-A2E5-D28DF68129C3.jpeg

Yeah I told him once he sent those ones over, perfect. With a bit crackle it’ll be epic