Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Bitsa Comedy

hiram.k.hackenbacker

Good to see you having a go Hiram.

What you describe as a comedy of errors is not unusual.  Like the claims that are made for Plug and Play compatibility in I.T. the reality is seldom that straightforward.  Even doing a kit build with all parts from the same source, some fitting is usually required.

Maybe Meccano should start offering bass kits?

image.png.67bfa6cae40cbcd3ce1a7d72cb1785cf.png

• Haha 2

Teaser for Episode 4: ‘Wind Yer Neck In’

Ordered:

67903962-9C4D-47EE-8DFB-F4198833605A.thumb.jpeg.9700535bc7d3a2907bd2db6f4f629a06.jpeg

Received:

82BBA390-BC50-4644-A64F-DAB1586EB681.jpeg.8bd395589d87958001f12ead909e0a11.jpeg

The one neck plate I didn’t want. On the upside, it’s looks like a proper one rather than the flimsy pressed metal copies that are floating about. I’m not sure if I can be bothered to argue with the seller over £14. Would you? Does it matter? It seems to be another indicator that things may not go smoothly during this process.

Well, another lesson learnt. Check the bolts before trying to screw the neck together. The bolts that were sent with the above plate are not correct. Had I compared them to any other bolt from any other Fender I have, I would have realised that the thread is wrong. They are too wide and don't extend the full length of the shaft. 'Item not as described' en route to seller 🤬.

55 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Teaser for Episode 4: ‘Wind Yer Neck In’

Ordered:

67903962-9C4D-47EE-8DFB-F4198833605A.thumb.jpeg.9700535bc7d3a2907bd2db6f4f629a06.jpeg

Received:

82BBA390-BC50-4644-A64F-DAB1586EB681.jpeg.8bd395589d87958001f12ead909e0a11.jpeg

The one neck plate I didn’t want. On the upside, it’s looks like a proper one rather than the flimsy pressed metal copies that are floating about. I’m not sure if I can be bothered to argue with the seller over £14. Would you? Does it matter? It seems to be another indicator that things may not go smoothly during this process.

It’s not a “proper” one - if it works though...

edit - ah - doesn’t “work” at all.

Edited by AndyTravis

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Bottom one is legit “F” plate like you wanted, only a few quid more than the faker plate

Thanks mate. Just bought that one and filed for a return on the other one. To be fair, the seller did reply stating send it back and they'll sort it, but I've no doubt it will be with parts of dubious origin. I can't understand how I didn't see the one you posted when I was searching. Oh well, just prolonged the wait by another couple of days or so. Much appreciated pal 👍.

• Like 1

Episode 4: ‘Wind Yer Neck In’

I filed the ‘item not as described’ with eBay for the neck plate and that’s going back. Proper one bought as per @AndyTravis’s suggestion. Just before packing the dodgy plate up for return, I borrowed some genuine Fender bolts from one of my other basses so I could exactly where we were with the Flea neck fitting this body. Dug a used set of strings out and set to it.

I had visions of me taking the neck on and off all afternoon adjusting the truss rod, but no, it all came together very well and the neck relief was spot on (for me). The saddles needed very little adjusting and the intonation was even spot on. I had thought about replacing the bridge, the saddles are almost on the floor and if I get one with a thicker plate, that could cause issues I fear.

I think the next move is to purchase @KiOgon’s control plate and get this bad boy routed.

All in all I’m pleasantly surprised with today’s events.

Shopping list now includes shielding tape and wire for grounding (it does have grounding wires, but I’m going to replace them). Any recommendations for either?

Stay tuned 🌧🌧🌧🌧😎🌧🌧🌧🌧

3E8170D4-06E2-4291-8DF3-672A35CE1F38.jpeg

87327AFE-E7FD-40A1-A9E9-967A894D7E65.jpeg

028243ED-49A2-4C8D-A324-B2F1E0CDD0EA.jpeg

8C78BE10-6CEB-407E-B362-1F68E18DEC2A.jpeg

16AB8CA4-821C-45EF-963A-76E49901D023.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 3

Just a quick update.

The cost of this ‘putting basses together’ business sure racks up if you don’t keep an eye on it doesn’t it? To be fair, rather than trawling web sites like some insomniac skip rat, I’ve taken the easy route and bought a few bits new rather than used, so I only have myself to blame really.

Most of the pieces have either arrived or are now en route. Full list as follows:

• Squier CV Jazz bass body colour white (to be re-finished)
  • MIM Fender Flea ‘61 Jazz bass neck
  • @KiOgon stack pot control plate and harness (knobs to follow)
  • Lindy Fralin Jazz bass pick-up’s
  • Fender Vintage Bass Bridge (en route)
  • Fender big ‘F’ neck plate
  • Vintage White 10 hole scratchplate/pickguard
  • Fender scratchplate/pickguard screws (en route - old ones were mank)
  • Shielding tape/wire/pickup foam (foam en route)
  • La Bella 760FS Deep Talkin’ Flat Wound Strings (en route)

I have yet to tackle the routing issue. The control plate does actually fit in the body, but it’s very snug. I’m not kidding myself, I know I will need to make the cavity bigger, but as there is no soldering involved, I’m thinking I could put it together so it makes some noise first and see where we go from there. I’m ahead of schedule in respect of the body going to paint, so why not?

I’m 99.9% sure what the final colour will be, but we’ll save that for another day.

No spoilers please. You know who you are 😎.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just a quick update.

The cost of this ‘putting basses together’ business sure racks up if you don’t keep an eye on it doesn’t it? To be fair, rather than trawling web sites like some insomniac skip rat, I’ve taken the easy route and bought a few bits new rather than used, so I only have myself to blame really.

Most of the pieces have either arrived or are now en route. Full list as follows:

• Squier CV Jazz bass body colour white (to be re-finished)
  • MIM Fender Flea ‘61 Jazz bass neck
  • @KiOgon stack pot control plate and harness (knobs to follow)
  • Lindy Fralin Jazz bass pick-up’s
  • Fender Vintage Bass Bridge (en route)
  • Fender big ‘F’ neck plate
  • Vintage White 10 hole scratchplate/pickguard
  • Fender scratchplate/pickguard screws (en route - old ones were mank)
  • Shielding tape/wire/pickup foam (foam en route)
  • La Bella 760FS Deep Talkin’ Flat Wound Strings (en route)

I have yet to tackle the routing issue. The control plate does actually fit in the body, but it’s very snug. I’m not kidding myself, I know I will need to make the cavity bigger, but as there is no soldering involved, I’m thinking I could put it together so it makes some noise first and see where we go from there. I’m ahead of schedule in respect of the body going to paint, so why not?

I’m 99.9% sure what the final colour will be, but we’ll save that for another day.

No spoilers please. You know who you are 😎.

Great stuff man, always great to put your own bass together. Fralin pick ups 🤘 I have a roasted maple Fender neck that needs building into something too. One day! 

I’ll say nothing about your colour choice 👌

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2020 at 23:07, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have yet to tackle the routing issue. The control plate does actually fit in the body, but it’s very snug. I’m not kidding myself, I know I will need to make the cavity bigger...

Looking good so far. What about trying a dremel first, with say a little sanding drum just to be cautious? You could accurately expand the sides out just where the pots need to fit?

😎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BassTool said:

Looking good so far. What about trying a dremel first, with say a little sanding drum just to be cautious? You could accurately expand the sides out just where the pots need to fit?

😎

That’s a good idea, with the right bits the dremel is a great tool 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BassTool said:

😎

That’s a good shout actually. I’ve always wanted a Dremel and I have a scratchplate that needs a little Dremel love as well. The original tort one for my Flea ‘61 no longer fits it after the Status neck went on it. I guess the heel must be a slightly different shape and Rob must have taken a bit off the custom guard that’s on it when he put the graphite neck on it. 

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s a good shout actually. I’ve always wanted a Dremel and I have a scratchplate that needs a little Dremel love as well. The original tort one for my Flea ‘61 no longer fits it after the Status neck went on it. I guess the heel must be a slightly different shape and Rob must have taken a bit off the custom guard that’s on it when he put the graphite neck on it. 

Great bit of kit to have in your armoury, surprisingly versatile for cutting, sanding polishing etc

I'd recommend the 'real thing' if your budget allows, they are very well made and tool bits are decent too  ;) 

• Like 2