Why become a member? ×

Bass identification

Chris Dow

3 hours ago, Chris Dow said:

Thanks Douglas and all for that, I still think it was a Yamaha copy or an Ibanez could be possible.

It's neither, I'm afraid. Yamaha never did an EB copy, and there is no 70s Ibanez at all like this. Both brands are incredibly well-documented & there aren't any models that collectors & vintage MIJ enthusiasts don't know about.

It's the same as the Peter Hook bass & the Zentas, whatever it said on the headstock.

2 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Might say that but this:

image.thumb.png.0e8e25db92c2440cf65f719973de2d2b.png

...is not an Eko. If you want to check out vintage Ekos this is the best/only resource online. There are some EB types but you won't find any the same as Hooky's & the Zentas or the pic at the top of the thread.

Well, seeing how we can’t find it...and that’s from an interview with Hooky...that’s as close as I’m willing to look...

Maybe the OP can dig further upon the possibles 😉

6 hours ago, prowla said:

I have a Zenta, but it's definitely not the model in the OP.

No, but it's related - same control layout & scratchplate, same shaped trc, zero-fret etc. I think the pickup used on the Zentas linked earlier & Hooky's is the same - pre-serial Maxon humbucker by the looks - unlike the mock-mudbuckers on most MIJ EB clones. Shame it's not visible in @Chris Dow's pic.

As I mentioned these basses were sold with numerous headstock names and none at all - @prowla's Zenta is exactly the same as the Jedson I posted earlier, and also the same as this:

1877647150_VoxMIJ(UK)ad.thumb.jpg.9555ad5ad6d1177a4c444789b02bd891.jpg

As you can see, these basses have a matching guitar version (I own an unbranded one) and the theory is that they were made by Sakai, which was a manufacturer which used its own brand. The guitars turn up branded Sakai:

Sakai.thumb.jpg.13425b674b8b8ee84c08637e79c438b0.jpg

So I went to see if I could find a Sakai-branded 2-pickup EB type - but instead I found this:

image.thumb.png.bece237cd3dc588f81c74b362baddb0c.png

And that, my friends, answers the question as far as I'm concerned. It's the same bass as @Chris Dow's (and Hooky's): same distinctive scratchplate, same control & jack positioning, same chrome handrest, same bridge, same tuners, same distinctive truss rod cover, zero-fret, inlays and so on. The bass was made in Japan by Sakai Mokko, a manufacturer established just outside Nagoya City in 1923, and which became very successful during the 60s Japanese guitar boom, continuing building instruments into the 70s. From the type of features we see on MIJ instruments I'm confident the bass is early 70s, probably no later than 1973.

It's odd that Hooky would've thought his was an Eko, but he's clearly mistaken.

• Like 1

That looks exactly like my old bass, everything matches except the name Sakai which I have never heard of before but as you say there may

been nothing on the headstock in the first place . If Sakai had been written on the headstock I'm sure I would have remembered . 

I didn't have much knowledge of basses at the time but I was certain that it was made in Japan which would explain the Yamaha thinking.   

I'm going with that, well done and a million thanks to all for helping 10/10.  Cheers

• Like 1