Why become a member? ×

Japanese Basses. Are they good?

bassmansam

Been looking at Bacchus Woodline AC and Dragonfly Fat J basses in particular recently. They look very well made and 

I recently played an Xotic XJ-1T which I loved also so it's out of the three! 

Anyone have experience with these basses and know best place to order being based in UK? 😁

Thanks

IMG_0174.jpg

dfoverview_orig.jpg

Admittedly I don't have much direct experience of these basses, although I have played an Xotic, but on the more general topic of are Japanese basses good, my belief is that they are among the best and often beat similarly mass produced instruments from 'you know who' in the USA for quality and consistency. I used Yamaha basses for years (mostly a TRB5) and they were absolutely rock solid. I only moved from Yamaha when I discovered Jon Shuker.

• Like 1

I've had 2 MIJ Bacchus basses and both were superb. I've just bought one of the Global series Woodlines, a WL534, hand made in the Philippines. It is also fantastic.

There is someone in France, I think, that sells Bacchus but I think the go to guy is Danny Stewart at Japan Bass Direct. He seems to have most MIJ basses and can give you some great advice.

• Like 2

I've got three MIJ Bacchuseses in the room with me and they're fantastic. The build quality is exceptional. I have lusted after a Dragonfly for quite some time. I'd love to try one.

FWIW I'd choose a Japanese bass over a US one every time.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

I think the guy behind Dragonfly (Harry's Engineering) was the main luthier at Aria back when they had a bigger market presence.

I've played, but not owned, Bacchus and Dragonfly basses. Top notch quality control, especially on the tiny details.

As has been said above, you'll get consistent quality from MIJ basses. Don't forget Atelier Z and Moon as other examples.

• Like 1

Just bought a FGN 5 string .  Really impressed with the build quality, nice componentry, great sounding bass.  Incidentally none of the FGN demo's on line that i could find were representative of the bas i have...  Anyways, think bacchus is made in the same factory, even have the same headstock.

Japanese build is as good as anyone and has been for years imho

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 1